Re: How do I terminate a Skype call on a PBX?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kyler Laird, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)) writes:

    >#1 auto answer the Skype call
    >#2 generate a ring on an analog trunk
    >#3 convert the sound between the soundcard output (44kHz stereo) and the
    >analog trunk (3.1 KHz mono)

    Gads! What is the allure of proprietary systems that entices people
    to go through these contortions? Does Skype really offer anything
    others don't (besides hassles)?

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Kyler Laird

    Dmitri Guest

    Kyler Laird wrote:

    > Gads! What is the allure of proprietary systems that entices people
    > to go through these contortions? Does Skype really offer anything
    > others don't (besides hassles)?

    > --kyler

    Umm... Cost? ;-) For outgoing connections we are already using Net2Phone,
    terminated on the phone port of our Linksys router, works great. But for
    incoming it will be great to have some way of using a system that does not
    have monthly plan costs. Best I can think of would be Skype. If there are
    alternatives, I would love to know about them.

    One other thing is Skype's amazing call quality, I think I can appreciate
    that. All other VoIP service providers I dealt with give you your 3.1KHz,
    highly compressed, else they go out of business paying too much for
    bandwidth to their providers. Skype, on the other hand, being a
    peer-to-peer app can afford luxury of higher bandwidth, which accounts for
    crystal clear sound that I like so much.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

    Dmitri, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Hi all

    I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
    If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
    the Secretary can divert the call to someone else, but the tricky part
    is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company, but Incoming call will
    be from a regular Phone.
    I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
    maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
    that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
    possible.
    Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.
    To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
    regular phone line.

    Thanks

    Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)) writes:

    >Umm... Cost? ;-) For outgoing connections we are already using Net2Phone,
    >terminated on the phone port of our Linksys router, works great. But for
    >incoming it will be great to have some way of using a system that does not
    >have monthly plan costs. Best I can think of would be Skype. If there are
    >alternatives, I would love to know about them.

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP Service Providers

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Oct 21, 2004