Re: How do I find out what company's server a web site is on?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    rocklorian wrote:

    > G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> Answer in header, since question was too.

    > The question in the subject line is perfectly ok except for perfect
    > assholes.
    >
    > OR..show me THE Official Usenet Posting Guide that says differently.

    So you are too lazy to bother searching around (Google, Bing, or your
    choice for search engine) to determine what comprises the netiquette for
    Usenet, nor are you willing to invest the time to lurk to learn what is
    expected within a newsgroup (note: this one can be particularly nasty
    and noisy so you'll need a thick-skinned ego).

    How to post to newsgroups:
    http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
    "Make the "Subject line" a short, relevant synopsis of your
    problem."
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    "The title of your question" section.
    http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
    "Mail should have a subject heading which reflects the content of
    the message." That means there should be a *message*; that is, a
    NON-BLANK body to the post.

    There are NO DETAILS in your subject (because extremely long subjects
    will get truncated, anyway, either in their length or in their view).
    You never specified to where you interested in finding out the server
    host for the UNIDENTIFIED web site. Not everyone sets up web servers
    the same way. You might find the direct host, you might end up at a
    proxy, you might end up at the boundary host for a web farm, you might
    end up at a load-balancing provider, like Akamai, that has a worldwide
    farm of hosts and to which you connect is their choice.

    The subject is an introduction, not the entire question which includes
    DETAILS. Many of the same norms expected for e-mails also apply to
    Usenet posts. Do you usually send e-mails with only the Subject header
    containing the full content of your message and has a completely blank
    body? That's a blank message. Blank message = blank post = blank mind.

    Don't pretend to know Usenet netiquette unless you've actually
    researched how to post to Usenet or what is Usenet. There is a lot or
    leeway but regulars expect you to actually describe your question or
    topic in the *body* of your post. As a noob, decide to take criticism
    for improper netiquette and learn to adapt or expect to get repeatedly
    berated for violating it. Every society has norms for communication.

    It's your choice if you learn or insist on anarchy. Decide how to best
    cull for replies that you are looking for.
    VanguardLH, Jan 7, 2011

  2. VanguardLH

    G. Morgan Guest

    Lookout <> wrote:

    >The way I worded that post has been accepted for years.

    Oh, you do know the rules Mr. Lookout. You were nym-shifting to
    avoid asking an easy question without exposing your ignorance.
    Nice.
    G. Morgan, Jan 7, 2011

  3. VanguardLH

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/01/2011 00:34, VanguardLH wrote:
    > It's your choice if you learn or insist on anarchy. Decide how to best
    > cull for replies that you are looking for.

    Very apt for a number of posters in here.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 7, 2011