Re: How do I erase all vestiges of Microsoft Office?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Desk Rabbit, Nov 3, 2010.

  1. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 03/11/2010 04:55, Jane_Galt wrote:
    > I have a new Asus netbook and it came with Microsoft Office trial, which I
    > absolutely don't want because I use Open Office anyway.
    >
    > So I uninstalled it with Control Panel, but it left languages there. So I
    > uninstalled those, one by one. What a pain.
    >
    > So thinking it was all gone, I go to do Windows updates and it's suggesting
    > updating Office now!
    >
    > How do I extricate all vestiges of this albatross from my netbook?

    Why worry about it?

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 3, 2010

  2. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 04/11/2010 01:07, Jane_Galt wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit<> wrote :
    >
    >> On 03/11/2010 04:55, Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>> I have a new Asus netbook and it came with Microsoft Office trial,
    >>> which I absolutely don't want because I use Open Office anyway.
    >>>
    >>> So I uninstalled it with Control Panel, but it left languages there. So
    >>> I uninstalled those, one by one. What a pain.
    >>>
    >>> So thinking it was all gone, I go to do Windows updates and it's
    >>> suggesting updating Office now!
    >>>
    >>> How do I extricate all vestiges of this albatross from my netbook?
    >>>

    >> Why worry about it?
    >>

    > 'Cause every time it does a Win 7 update, it wants to add "important" updates
    > for Microsoft Office too, but it's no longer there!

    So?

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 4, 2010

  3. Desk Rabbit

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/3/2010 8:07 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane_Galt wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > Desk Rabbit<> wrote :
    >
    >> On 03/11/2010 04:55, Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>> I have a new Asus netbook and it came with Microsoft Office trial,
    >>> which I absolutely don't want because I use Open Office anyway.
    >>>
    >>> So I uninstalled it with Control Panel, but it left languages there. So
    >>> I uninstalled those, one by one. What a pain.
    >>>
    >>> So thinking it was all gone, I go to do Windows updates and it's
    >>> suggesting updating Office now!
    >>>
    >>> How do I extricate all vestiges of this albatross from my netbook?
    >>>

    >> Why worry about it?
    >>

    > 'Cause every time it does a Win 7 update, it wants to add "important" updates
    > for Microsoft Office too, but it's no longer there!

    If the issue hasn't been solved yet, you can disable the update at
    Windows Updates by telling it not to show this update anymore.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Nov 4, 2010
  4. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 05/11/2010 01:26, Jane_Galt wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit<> wrote :

    >>> 'Cause every time it does a Win 7 update, it wants to add "important"
    >>> updates for Microsoft Office too, but it's no longer there!
    >>>

    >> So?
    >>

    > I'm just all excited about constantly downloading updates to something that
    > doesnt exist on my netbook.

    For the huge amount of effort you seem to be expending to not download
    some small updates.........

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 5, 2010
  5. On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:27:09 -0500, "Jane_Galt" <>
    wrote:

    >OldGringo38 <> wrote :
    >
    >> On 11/3/2010 8:07 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane_Galt wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> 'Cause every time it does a Win 7 update, it wants to add "important"
    >>> updates for Microsoft Office too, but it's no longer there!
    >>>

    >> If the issue hasn't been solved yet, you can disable the update at
    >> Windows Updates by telling it not to show this update anymore.
    >>

    >Ah, didn't know that, will look for it, thanks!

    BUT disabling Windows Updates will stop update for Office ....AND ALSO
    for Windows itself .... Not a good solution ...

    Raymond Schmit, Nov 5, 2010
  6. On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:01:46 +0000, ~BD~ <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org>
    wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >

    >> BUT disabling Windows Updates will stop update for Office ....AND ALSO
    >> for Windows itself .... Not a good solution ...

    >I have a notion that *Microsoft* Update updates Office as well as Windows.

    Correct if he think that Office is installed.

    >I don't think *Windows* Update does the same job. Not certain though!

    Oups, i re-phrase:
    BUT disabling Microsoft Updates will stop update for Office ....AND
    ALSO for Windows itself .... Not a good solution ...

    Raymond Schmit, Nov 5, 2010
  7. Desk Rabbit

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/5/2010 4:49 AM Just to please that super-ego, Raymond Schmit wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:27:09 -0500, "Jane_Galt"<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> OldGringo38<> wrote :
    >>
    >>> On 11/3/2010 8:07 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane_Galt wrote the
    >>> following tidbit of information:

    >>> If the issue hasn't been solved yet, you can disable the update at
    >>> Windows Updates by telling it not to show this update anymore.
    >>>

    >> Ah, didn't know that, will look for it, thanks!

    > BUT disabling Windows Updates will stop update for Office ....AND ALSO
    > for Windows itself .... Not a good solution ...

    The individual update can be disabled not all of the updates.

    OldGringo38, Nov 6, 2010
  8. Desk Rabbit

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/5/2010 6:06 PM Just to please that super-ego, Raymond Schmit wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:01:46 +0000, ~BD~<~BD~@nomail.afraid.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >>

    >>> BUT disabling Windows Updates will stop update for Office ....AND ALSO
    >>> for Windows itself .... Not a good solution ...

    >> I have a notion that *Microsoft* Update updates Office as well as Windows.

    > Correct if he think that Office is installed.
    >>
    >> I don't think *Windows* Update does the same job. Not certain though!

    > Oups, i re-phrase:
    > BUT disabling Microsoft Updates will stop update for Office ....AND
    > ALSO for Windows itself .... Not a good solution ...

    putting a check mark next to the single update and selecting don't show
    this update again will not disable Windows/Ms updates. JHC

    OldGringo38, Nov 6, 2010
  9. Desk Rabbit

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/4/2010 8:27 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane_Galt wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38<> wrote :
    >
    >> On 11/3/2010 8:07 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane_Galt wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> 'Cause every time it does a Win 7 update, it wants to add "important"
    >>> updates for Microsoft Office too, but it's no longer there!
    >>>

    >> If the issue hasn't been solved yet, you can disable the update at
    >> Windows Updates by telling it not to show this update anymore.
    >>

    > Ah, didn't know that, will look for it, thanks!

    You're more than welcome, there is some follow up here, it's BS
    you will be able to figure it out at the update site. very user friendly.

    OldGringo38, Nov 6, 2010
  10. Desk Rabbit

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "Jane_Galt" <> wrote in message
    > ~BD~ <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote :
    >
    >> Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >>

    >>> BUT disabling Windows Updates will stop update for Office ....AND ALSO
    >>> for Windows itself .... Not a good solution ...

    >> I have a notion that *Microsoft* Update updates Office as well as Windows.
    >>
    >> I don't think *Windows* Update does the same job. Not certain though!
    >>

    > Need to turn off Office updates, not Windows updates.
    >
    > I'm wondering why it thinks Office should be updated when it aint there
    > anymore?

    Did you uninstall your Activation Assistant like I asked you the first time?

    Also see the following
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218
    --
    Peter