Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DanP, Oct 30, 2012.

  1. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    DanP <> wrote:

    > I have tried to download photos from someone elses iPad to my Linux laptop,
    > it stopped twice after about five minutes and I gave up. I did get a few
    > pictures though.

    you did something wrong.

    > So, I did not attempt to do anything too clever.

    good thing, since you can't handle the simple stuff.

    > The iPad looks good but if
    > you want to avoid headaches better use it with Apple products.

    nonsense. over half of ipads (and iphones) are sold to windows users.

    > That pissed me off, functionality that we take for granted screwed up because
    > it might increase Apple profits in the future.

    nonsense. the functionality is there. your problem is elsewhere.

    > USB file transfer is nothing shocking for an iPad or too hard to do.

    good thing it does that.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012

  2. DanP

    Mayayana Guest

    | > * Whatever file manager is on the iPad is not capable
    | > of some basic functions like Select All -> Delete
    |
    | The iPad does not have a file manager. It has a basic photo manager.
    | Not file manager.

    I stand corrected. I don't experience with iPads
    myself, but I did recently have to help my elderly father
    set up his Android tablet. It's half the price and includes
    a full-scale file manager, so I assumed the iPad had
    *at least* that much functionality.

    | > No matter which side one is on, the question
    | > of whether it's a "valid" use of an iPad to store and then
    | > delete large numbers of files is a red herring issue.
    |
    | Of course it is not. The intended use of an iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab
    | or a Galaxy Nexus 7 have not identified "selecting and deleting all
    | photos on the device" as a prime usage.

    Ah, when you put it that way, I have to
    agree. If the OP had had the sense to leave
    the house with a "select and delete multiple
    photos device" then he wouldn't have had
    a problem.... Though I assume one can't get
    photos onto such a device, since that wouldn't
    be the "identified prime usage".... I wonder then,
    what files one deletes on such a device.... So
    confusing, isn't it? :)

    Mayayana, Oct 31, 2012

  3. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 31/10/2012 16:55, nospam wrote:
    []
    > get a slide show app and make a slide show with the photos in the order
    > you want.
    >
    > expecting the ipad to read your mind and know in which order you want
    > the photos shown is a bit much.
    >
    > the photos app can cycle through a photo library but it's not a
    > dedicated slide show app. again, get the best tool for the job.
    >
    >> [I thought the Duck said that was fixed in iOS 6, but it didn't seem to
    >> be for me, unless I've missed a trick...]

    > i don't use ios 6 and can't test it.

    The iPad /has/ a slide-show mode, as well as within Photos. Don't you
    have that option when you boot your iPad, and a "Slideshow" button on
    the top right corner of the Photos display?

    Being able to display photos in an order which I determine by
    drag-and-drop requires no reading of the mind! LOL!
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012
  4. DanP

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, 31 October 2012 17:37:50 UTC, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > DanP <> wrote:
    >

    > > I have tried to download photos from someone elses iPad to my Linux laptop,

    > > it stopped twice after about five minutes and I gave up. I did get a few

    > > pictures though.

    > you did something wrong.

    I have marked all the folders to be copied, looked at their size, around 19Gb and pasted them in my laptop. Transfer started but stopped after about 5minutes. I thought the iPad went to sleep mode, turned sleep mode off and tried again. Same happened the second time and I gave up. I have 4.7Gb of those files in 5 folders named 114MPRT, 116MPRT, 128MPRT, 129MPRT, 130MPRT and 131MPRT.

    Can you point out what I did wrong? The Ipad belogs to someone else and I have no idea how is supposed to be set up.

    > > So, I did not attempt to do anything too clever.

    > good thing, since you can't handle the simple stuff.

    Hey, the whole point of the iPad is that is easy to use. It stopped the transfer, I have no idea why.

    > > The iPad looks good but if

    > > you want to avoid headaches better use it with Apple products.

    > nonsense. over half of ipads (and iphones) are sold to windows users.

    I found this on macworld.com
    "Apple’s officially endorsed route for file-transfers between iPad and Mac is via iTunes file-sharing. Unfortunately, it’s an amazingly clunky process."
    I was told the same by the iPad owner.

    > > That pissed me off, functionality that we take for granted screwed up because

    > > it might increase Apple profits in the future.

    > nonsense. the functionality is there. your problem is elsewhere.

    So, it worked for 4.7Gb out of 19Gb. I know the functionality is there but it does not work fully for me.

    > > USB file transfer is nothing shocking for an iPad or too hard to do.

    > good thing it does that.

    Did a quarter of what I asked it to do.

    DanP

    DanP, Oct 31, 2012
  5. DanP

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:17:38 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-10-31 09:34:59 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >>>

    >> That would be like Joe Ratzinger calling Rick Santorum a theological
    >> liberal.

    >...but which one has the fancier hat & shoes?

    I've never noticed Joe's shoes. Cool hat, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 31, 2012
  6. DanP

    sid Guest

    nospam wrote:

    >> >definitely. windows and especially linux conditions people into making
    >> >things harder than it needs to be.

    What *are* you talking about, you seem to have a real problem with anyone
    that does not make exactly the same choice of hardware or software to you.

    >> Then tell me how I select +1800 photographs for deletion. I don't
    >> consider selecting them one at a time an adequate solution.

    > i did, a couple of times.

    You're not even remotely listening to the question are you.

    > apparently you just want to complain.

    No, he wants to delete loads of photos from an ipad *without* having to use
    another device to do so.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

    sid, Oct 31, 2012
  7. DanP

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:37:50 PM UTC, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > DanP <> wrote:
    >

    > > I have tried to download photos from someone elses iPad to my Linux laptop,

    > > it stopped twice after about five minutes and I gave up. I did get a few

    > > pictures though.

    > you did something wrong.

    Make up your mind, you were saying I was running an unsupported OS.

    DanP

    DanP, Oct 31, 2012
  8. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    DanP <> wrote:

    > > > I have tried to download photos from someone elses iPad to my Linux
    > > > laptop,
    > > > it stopped twice after about five minutes and I gave up. I did get a few
    > > > pictures though.

    > > you did something wrong.

    > I have marked all the folders to be copied, looked at their size, around 19Gb
    > and pasted them in my laptop. Transfer started but stopped after about 5
    > minutes. I thought the iPad went to sleep mode, turned sleep mode off and
    > tried again. Same happened the second time and I gave up. I have 4.7Gb of
    > those files in 5 folders named 114MPRT, 116MPRT, 128MPRT, 129MPRT, 130MPRT
    > and 131MPRT.
    >
    > Can you point out what I did wrong?

    i don't use linux and have no idea what you did wrong.

    a little googling suggests you need to install libimobiledevice.
    whether that's your problem or not, i have no idea. for all i know, you
    used a crappy usb cable.

    > The Ipad belogs to someone else and I
    > have no idea how is supposed to be set up.

    that much is clear.

    > > > So, I did not attempt to do anything too clever.

    > > good thing, since you can't handle the simple stuff.

    > Hey, the whole point of the iPad is that is easy to use. It stopped the
    > transfer, I have no idea why.

    well, you don't seem to want to find out why it stopped partway. you
    just want to complain.

    > > > The iPad looks good but if
    > > > you want to avoid headaches better use it with Apple products.

    > > nonsense. over half of ipads (and iphones) are sold to windows users.

    > I found this on macworld.com
    > "Apple’s officially endorsed route for file-transfers between iPad and Mac is
    > via iTunes file-sharing. Unfortunately, it’s an amazingly clunky process."
    > I was told the same by the iPad owner.

    itunes runs on both mac and windows. in other words, what you found
    proves you wrong.

    plus, what they're referring to is something entirely different.

    > > > That pissed me off, functionality that we take for granted screwed up
    > > > because

    > > > it might increase Apple profits in the future.

    > > nonsense. the functionality is there. your problem is elsewhere.

    > So, it worked for 4.7Gb out of 19Gb. I know the functionality is there but it
    > does not work fully for me.

    and as i said, you don't seem to be interested in finding out what the
    problem is.

    > > > USB file transfer is nothing shocking for an iPad or too hard to do.

    > > good thing it does that.

    > Did a quarter of what I asked it to do.

    maybe you didn't ask the right question.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  9. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <k6rpp7$lrc$>, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > > get a slide show app and make a slide show with the photos in the order
    > > you want.
    > >
    > > expecting the ipad to read your mind and know in which order you want
    > > the photos shown is a bit much.
    > >
    > > the photos app can cycle through a photo library but it's not a
    > > dedicated slide show app. again, get the best tool for the job.
    > >
    > >> [I thought the Duck said that was fixed in iOS 6, but it didn't seem to
    > >> be for me, unless I've missed a trick...]

    > > i don't use ios 6 and can't test it.

    > The iPad /has/ a slide-show mode, as well as within Photos. Don't you
    > have that option when you boot your iPad, and a "Slideshow" button on
    > the top right corner of the Photos display?

    it does, but i can only comment and test with ios 5. you said you have
    ios 6.

    > Being able to display photos in an order which I determine by
    > drag-and-drop requires no reading of the mind! LOL!

    dedicated slide show apps are designed to do exactly that. the photo
    app isn't.

    the included photo app is basically a viewer. it can do slide shows but
    only simple ones, i.e., cycle through a photo library. it wasn't
    intended to be a full fledged slide show app.

    for those who want more than basic slide shows can get an app that does
    what they need.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  10. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, sid
    <> wrote:

    > What *are* you talking about, you seem to have a real problem with anyone
    > that does not make exactly the same choice of hardware or software to you.

    bullshit. i don't care what hardware or software people get.

    what i do care about is when people make bogus claims about things.

    > >> Then tell me how I select +1800 photographs for deletion. I don't
    > >> consider selecting them one at a time an adequate solution.

    > > i did, a couple of times.

    > You're not even remotely listening to the question are you.

    i definitely did.

    > > apparently you just want to complain.

    > No, he wants to delete loads of photos from an ipad *without* having to use
    > another device to do so.

    you're not even remotely paying attention to the answers, are you?

    i said that isn't something easily done on the device, long ago.

    if that's a feature you absolutely must have, then the ipad is the
    wrong product. meanwhile, 100 million people have bought ipads and very
    few find this particular issue to be a serious problem.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  11. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    DanP <> wrote:

    > > > I have tried to download photos from someone elses iPad to my Linux
    > > > laptop,
    > > > it stopped twice after about five minutes and I gave up. I did get a few
    > > > pictures though.

    > > you did something wrong.

    > Make up your mind, you were saying I was running an unsupported OS.

    there's nothing to make up. linux is unsupported.

    that doesn't mean it *won't* ever work with linux. apple didn't test
    the ipad with linux and they don't guarantee anything. any problems
    encountered are up to you to resolve.

    however, if you have a mac or windows system, apple *will* help get it
    working. i've seen people bring in windows pcs to apple stores before.
    they don't have a problem with that at all.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  12. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >>apparently, reading is not your strong suit.
    > >>
    > >>he said he's already been to an apple store, where the apple genius was
    > >>very young and googled for answers.

    > That's a distortion of what I said.
    >
    > "I know if I go to the local Apple store the young geek behind the
    > counter will try to find the answer on Google."
    >
    > 'Geek' not 'genius'. 'Young' not 'very young'. Though the usage is
    > ambiguous, there are lots of young geeks in that store, not just the
    > one.

    apple calls them an apple genius.

    microsoft copied the idea (nothing new there) and calls them a guru.

    <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26563690/ns/business-us_business/t/microsof
    t-gurus-take-apples-genuises/>

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  13. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> You know very well that I am not considering any of these things.

    > >no i don't.

    > Then you haven't read my original post. You haven't even read the
    > subject heading "How do I delete photographs from an iPad?".

    i did, and answered it. long ago.

    > >you said manage photos. that can mean a lot of things. maybe you want
    > >to make adjustments to the photos before showing them.
    > >
    > >there are image editing apps, slide show apps, apps that upload to the
    > >cloud and quite a bit more. a significant number of apps are photo
    > >related.

    > >> They are not irrational.

    > >if you think that merely plugging an ipad into a computer is going to
    > >corrupt it, then yes, it is definitely an irrational fear.

    > You know I was concerned about the possibility of causing problems if
    > I tinker around with the inside of an iPad via an external computer.

    you *can't* tinker with the 'inside of an ipad'.

    all you can see is the camera roll.

    the worst you can do is accidentally delete all of your photos, which
    oddly enough, is what you want to do.

    > I gave the example of problems of this kind with camera memories. See
    > for example
    >
    > http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/29048/deleting-files-using-windows-ca
    > n-corrupt-camera-card

    problems do occur, but that doesn't say what caused the problem. it
    could be any number of things.

    > >> Do you know more about this than the fact
    > >> that you have done this several times and it has not yet bitten you?

    > >i've been using ios devices since shortly after they came out over five
    > >years ago, i write ios software and i am *very* familiar with the
    > >innards. i know what the risks are. there are none.

    > That's the sort of informed answer I was looking for. I expected it to
    > come from you but I didn't think it would take so long. :)

    ask earlier next time :)

    > >> Do you really know enough about how it all works to justify your
    > >> confidence that deleting iPad files via a PC's USB port is entirely
    > >> safe for the iPad?

    > >absolutely.
    > >
    > >you aren't 'deleting ipad files'. you are deleting photos and only the
    > >photos visible to you by the ipad. you can't see other files, let alone
    > >delete them.
    > >
    > >there is no possible way you can corrupt the ipad's file system by
    > >plugging it into a computer in normal use.

    > That's what I want to know.
    > >
    > >the *only* way you can cause problems is if you go out of your way to
    > >get additional software that lets you access files you shouldn't be
    > >accessing and intentionally start editing those files. browsing them
    > >won't cause problems. if you jailbreak it (another step) you can also
    > >access system files and potentially do more damage (or tweak things,
    > >it's not all bad), but again, it's an intentional act. it will *not*
    > >happen accidentally.

    > I'm not interested in that.

    i didn't think you did, but i wanted to give a complete answer.

    it also reinforces that you have to really want to screw things up to
    screw it up.

    > >plus, in the event you did brick the ipad somehow, you can easily
    > >unbrick it by loading a stock firmware and then restoring from your
    > >most recent backup and you will be back to where you were before you
    > >screwed it up.
    > >
    > >bottom line: it takes a lot of effort and intent to cause problems.
    > >
    > >just plugging it into a computer won't do it.

    > That was never my concern.
    >
    > But thank you for the info.

    no problem.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  14. DanP

    sid Guest

    nospam wrote:

    >> What *are* you talking about, you seem to have a real problem with anyone
    >> that does not make exactly the same choice of hardware or software to
    >> you.

    > bullshit. i don't care what hardware or software people get.

    For someone that doesn't care you spend an awfully large amount of time
    telling others they've made the wrong choice and your choice is better.

    > what i do care about is when people make bogus claims about things.

    Such as your first 2 lines quoted above, quite.

    >> > i did, a couple of times.

    >> You're not even remotely listening to the question are you.

    > i definitely did.
    >
    >> > apparently you just want to complain.

    >> No, he wants to delete loads of photos from an ipad *without* having to
    >> use another device to do so.

    > you're not even remotely paying attention to the answers, are you?

    I have, yes.

    > i said that isn't something easily done on the device, long ago.

    I know and I can hear the gritted teeth you're saying it through

    > if that's a feature you absolutely must have, then the ipad is the
    > wrong product.

    It's not *my* problem at all, I think your confused again, Eric Stevens has
    the problem with his ipad being crap.

    > meanwhile, 100 million people have bought ipads and very
    > few find this particular issue to be a serious problem.

    nearly 1 billion people smoke tobacco, numbers mean jack shit boyo.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

    sid, Oct 31, 2012
  15. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> THat's why so many other computer manufacturers leave it out.

    > >if you're referring to windows or mac os x, that's an invalid
    > >comparison.

    > Why?

    because an ipad is not a laptop/desktop, it's a tablet. they are two
    different things.

    it's a new device that's about 2.5 years old and runs a completely
    different operating system than a mac or windows pc. the software is
    also different and substantially less expensive (most is a couple of
    bucks, if not free). it's designed for different (but overlapping)
    tasks.

    those who liken it to a laptop without a keyboard do not understand
    what an ipad is and what its strengths and weaknesses are. it's not a
    replacement for a laptop. it's a peer.

    an ipad does some things a whole lot better than a laptop ever could,
    but it also does some things not as well. once again, pick the best
    tool for the job.

    > >compare it to other tablets. android doesn't do it either, unless you
    > >use a different app (not included, btw).

    > Further evidence of copying?

    or evidence of priorities.

    just because you and david want a particular feature doesn't mean the
    majority of other ipad users do.

    an example of a missing feature that really *is* needed is guest mode.

    that way, you could hand the ipad to a child or a friend and not worry
    about what they do. for a child, you could have a set of apps just for
    kids and know that they're not going to end up in youtube watching who
    knows what. microsoft calls this kid's corner. apple says they're
    working on it.

    now if you think about how ipads are actually used in the real world, a
    *lot* more people are going to benefit from a kid or guest mode than
    having a select all in the photo app.

    > >> How she is expected to empty it out again afterwards?

    > >as i said countless times (this is getting old, fast), you plug it into
    > >the computer, copy the files and delete.

    > That's right. 'I' plug it into the computer ... and delete. There are
    > too many complications with this and I wouldn't trust my wife to do
    > it. I'm sure she is not alone in this. The ability to block-delete in
    > the iPad the photographs she could see would vastly improve life for
    > both of us.

    what complications?

    it's one checkbox:
    <http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT4083/HT40
    83_04--progress-001-en.png>

    there could be complications if she tapped the wrong button on the
    ipad. why are you ignoring that?

    seriously, you're making this *far* more complicated than it needs to
    be.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  16. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > Not my wife. Not many other non-technical people either.

    yes your wife and other non-technical people.

    non-technical people are the target market for the ipad, not geeks,
    which is why it's not loaded up with geek features like file managers.
    it's also why geeks tend to not like it.

    elderly people, who tend to be the farthest thing from geeks (just try
    to explain to an older relative about computers), love the ipad. many
    say it's the first computer they could figure out how to use.

    geeks just don't get it. it's not for them.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  17. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> I will blame the company that limits what the consumer can do with the
    > >> product and I am talking about Apple here.

    > >And the "limit" here seems to be that Apple did not facilitate
    > >deleting thousands of photos easily enough. Seeing that this doesn't
    > >logically fall under the intended use of the iPad, I fail to see how
    > >this is an actual limit. Or rather, if that's a limit, Apple also
    > >"Limits" you in that you can't monitor NASA spacecraft launches on
    > >your iPad homescreen.
    > >
    > >I'm exaggerating, of course, and a "select all" function wouldn't
    > >really be a bad idea, but I think it falls squarely outside the scope
    > >of normal usage of an iPad.

    > Are you saying you believe the iPad is intended to be filled but not
    > emptied?
    >
    > I think a better explanation is that everything it does is intended to
    > pass through iTunes, with all the ramifications that that implies.

    except that's totally wrong.

    copying photos off the ipad *doesn't* use itunes (outside of a backup
    which is mostly opaque). it's an unusual omission.

    not only that, but itunes isn't even required at all anymore.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  18. DanP

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > >And the "limit" here seems to be that Apple did not facilitate
    > >deleting thousands of photos easily enough. Seeing that this doesn't
    > >logically fall under the intended use of the iPad, I fail to see how
    > >this is an actual limit. Or rather, if that's a limit, Apple also
    > >"Limits" you in that you can't monitor NASA spacecraft launches on
    > >your iPad homescreen.
    > >
    > >I'm exaggerating, of course, and a "select all" function wouldn't
    > >really be a bad idea, but I think it falls squarely outside the scope
    > >of normal usage of an iPad.

    > Are you saying you believe the iPad is intended to be filled but not
    > emptied?

    Pretty much. I am saying that the iPad can be filled via three ways.
    The first is by taking pictures with it, the second is by importing
    photos from a camera and the third is to sync photos from your
    computer.

    There is, on the flip side, only one way to get photos OFF the iPad,
    and that's by selecting them one by one with your finger and hitting
    delete.

    That quite clearly says to me that focus has been on getting content
    ON to the iPad rather than off it. At least when using iPad-only
    methods. When connecting the iPad to a computer, especially a Mac,
    deleting all photos is the easiest thing.

    > I think a better explanation is that everything it does is intended to
    > pass through iTunes, with all the ramifications that that implies.

    As far as I'm aware, you can't delete photos from the iPad using
    iTunes, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Nov 1, 2012
  19. DanP

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > >Also, you can delete without even importing. Basically, you get a
    > >window with all the photos on the camera(iPhone/iPad and can select
    > >all and delete them on the device. Voila.

    > The moral of this story is that you can't do block-deletes with an
    > iPad but you can do it with an external device and software.

    Correct.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Nov 1, 2012
  20. DanP

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:57:08 +0100, Sandman <> wrote:

    > >> How she is expected to empty it out again afterwards?

    > >Using the methods outlined by the people responding to you in this
    > >thread.

    > Not my wife. Not many other non-technical people either.

    None of the solutions have been "technical", really...

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Nov 1, 2012