Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DanP, Oct 30, 2012.

  1. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 30/10/2012 20:55, Savageduck wrote:
    []
    > BTW: I currently have 460 processed and resized image files in 24
    > albums, taking up 0.2GB of space, plenty good for my portfolio purpose,
    > and easily controllable. Not particularly great as a primary in field
    > backup where 2 x 16GB cards would stress the iPad to its limit.

    Yes, if they are moderate static. When making up a "slide-show" we tend
    to customise each show for the interests of the viewer. Each one will
    be different. Understood about the storage amount.

    > Among those albums and images in both my iPhone & iPad, I keep a backup
    > of my travel documents in an album; passport, drivers license, medical
    > insurance card, auto insurance & Law Enforcement ID.

    Yes, I have something similar, done via DropBox so I can have it on both
    the iPad and the Android phone.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012

  2. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <k6qiq0$jk5$>, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > It comes across like that. It surprises slightly that people can't
    > bring themselves to admit that that Apple products have faults - it
    > seems that there is a lack of objectivity.

    of course apple products have faults. nothing is perfect.

    ask me about itunes sometime. :)

    > Reasoned argument goes out
    > of the window.

    reasoned arguments are more than welcome.

    what's not welcome is bashing, especially from those who don't own the
    products and likely never will. they just want to find fault, no matter
    how minor it may be, even though the competing products do exactly the
    same thing (which they don't own either). they fixate solely on the
    negative, ignoring all of the positive. they never mention the real
    problems that really *do* affect users.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012

  3. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <k6qj7o$lmg$>, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > > The iPad makes a great image viewing device. It is just not the best
    > > backup device. It only fills that role in a pinch. The iPad with the
    > > retina display makes a better viewing device.

    > .. and if you've copied, say, 300 photos across from an SD card to show
    > someone on the excellent display, you /still/ have the problem of
    > deleting those 300 photos without having to tap each and every one. The
    > problem still exists whether it's a display or a backup device.

    yes, a select all would be nice, but most people copy the photos to the
    device and keep them there until they connect it to a computer, where
    they then copy them and delete them, so it's not really as big of a
    deal as some are making it out to be.

    > Oh, and let's not mention the picture ordering issue when used as a
    > display from images copied from an SD card.

    what ordering issue?

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  4. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <k6qk4m$q00$>, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > With my Android phone, there is a File Manager program which runs on the
    > device itself, and it /does/ include a Select All option.

    which is separate from the photo viewer.

    so now you have to quit one app, launch another, select files and
    delete, then go back to the first app.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  5. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <k6qkoi$r8u$>, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > >> i did already but here it is once again:
    > >> plug the ipad into the computer with the provided usb cable and it
    > >> shows up like an ordinary digital camera. use whatever software you
    > >> normally use, including explorer which you've said you like to use,
    > >> select whatever photos you want, then copy and/or delete them as you
    > >> would if it was any other digital camera.

    > > Aah - but I don't do that with a digital camera. I've encountered too
    > > many stories about memory cards being stuffed up by this kind of
    > > activity until they are reformatted by the camera. I certainly don't
    > > want this kind of problem with an iPad.

    > Do try what nospam suggests - it does work. Only the directories
    > containing images are exposed to the PC, so you can't accidentally
    > delete the operating system or user programs.
    >
    > You /can/ get a program called iPhone Explorer (IIRC) which /does/ allow
    > that level of access, though. Caveat Emptor in that case!

    no need to worry there either. you can only mess with user files, not
    system files.

    you have to jailbreak to mess with the system and then you do need to
    be careful, and not just with file access, but for rogue software.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  6. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> I am genuinely surprised that its got the ability to store and display
    > >> a large number of photographs but lacks the ability to easily manage
    > >> them with out the assistance of an external device or software.

    > >it can easily manage them on the device.
    > >
    > >you can edit the photos with a wide variety of apps, many of them free
    > >and very capable and others for very cheap. iphoto is $5 and photoshop
    > >touch is $10. you can also create albums and move photos to them. there
    > >are even apps that can sync with lightroom.

    > You know very well that I am not considering any of these things.

    no i don't.

    you said manage photos. that can mean a lot of things. maybe you want
    to make adjustments to the photos before showing them.

    there are image editing apps, slide show apps, apps that upload to the
    cloud and quite a bit more. a significant number of apps are photo
    related.

    > >> At this stage I am still cautious and I've explained why.

    > >you need to get over your irrational fears.

    > They are not irrational.

    if you think that merely plugging an ipad into a computer is going to
    corrupt it, then yes, it is definitely an irrational fear.

    > Do you know more about this than the fact
    > that you have done this several times and it has not yet bitten you?

    i've been using ios devices since shortly after they came out over five
    years ago, i write ios software and i am *very* familiar with the
    innards. i know what the risks are. there are none.

    > Do you really know enough about how it all works to justify your
    > confidence that deleting iPad files via a PC's USB port is entirely
    > safe for the iPad?

    absolutely.

    you aren't 'deleting ipad files'. you are deleting photos and only the
    photos visible to you by the ipad. you can't see other files, let alone
    delete them.

    there is no possible way you can corrupt the ipad's file system by
    plugging it into a computer in normal use.

    the *only* way you can cause problems is if you go out of your way to
    get additional software that lets you access files you shouldn't be
    accessing and intentionally start editing those files. browsing them
    won't cause problems. if you jailbreak it (another step) you can also
    access system files and potentially do more damage (or tweak things,
    it's not all bad), but again, it's an intentional act. it will *not*
    happen accidentally.

    plus, in the event you did brick the ipad somehow, you can easily
    unbrick it by loading a stock firmware and then restoring from your
    most recent backup and you will be back to where you were before you
    screwed it up.

    bottom line: it takes a lot of effort and intent to cause problems.

    just plugging it into a computer won't do it.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  7. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Are you really saying that with its Retina display and portability
    > >> it's still not suited to being used as a viewing device?

    > >i'm saying that it's not suitable for a portable storage device. at
    > >best, it will hold two 32 gig cards, if you have a 64 gig ipad that has
    > >nothing else on it. that's not a whole lot.
    > >
    > >you said your wife went away for six weeks. i know i would fill a 32
    > >gig card in a couple of days, if that long. a 64 gig ipad would *not*
    > >last six weeks for me. i doubt it would even last six days.
    > >
    > >however, if someone shoots a handful of photos a day, i'm sure it's
    > >fine.

    > But that still leaves you the problem of emptying it out afterwards.

    when she gets home, plug it into the computer, copy the photos (which
    you're going to want to do, one would assume), then delete them.

    there is no problem.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  8. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Big or little, it's a deal.

    > >it's little. insignificant, in fact.

    > THat's why so many other computer manufacturers leave it out.

    if you're referring to windows or mac os x, that's an invalid
    comparison.

    compare it to other tablets. android doesn't do it either, unless you
    use a different app (not included, btw).

    > >> My wife and her gang thought they could use an iPad to view photos in
    > >> the field. Isn't the iPad suitable for that? What other device would
    > >> you recommend buying for the purpose?

    > >they can do that, and from what you said, she *did* do that.

    > How she is expected to empty it out again afterwards?

    as i said countless times (this is getting old, fast), you plug it into
    the computer, copy the files and delete.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  9. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > Yes, I agree. I'm just trying to rub no-spams nose in the stupidity of
    > his own obduracy.

    the only obdurate person is you. i told you exactly how to do what you
    asked, but you refuse to.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  10. DanP

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  11. DanP

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:08:12 PM UTC, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 30/10/2012 15:26, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > > To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or iPhone,

    > > I open the "Camera Roll", touch the "action" button (the one with the

    > > arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper right corner) select

    > > the files I want to delete by touching each one, and having that

    > > confirmed by seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail. Then I have

    > > the option of deleting those files, all quite simple.

    > > Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or

    > > image files as one might when using a desktop or laptop computer, but

    > > simple enough.

    > Not a matter of simplicity, it's usability. Touching each photo is fine
    >
    > if you have a small number to delete, but I take a hundred photos a day
    >
    > or more when on holiday,

    Do you actually look at them ?
    because if you delete them without looking at them whats the point.
    I take too many photos and I find I need to lok at them before deciding on whether or not to delete them.

    > and I don't expect to have to touch a thousand
    >
    > images or more at the end of the trip.

    So you don;t expect to have to look ay them.

    > A select all option, or the
    >
    > ability to delete a day at a time is an obvious requirement which Apple
    >
    > have missed.

    I can delete events from iphoto which can contain 100s or 1000s of images.
    If I want them on the ipad I have to synch them to the ipad if I want to delete them from the ipad I unsynch that event.
    I use teh default to split events by day so whatever I take on a day is called as one event, so I can delete via whole days worth with one tap.

    Whisky-dave, Oct 31, 2012
  12. DanP

    Sandman Guest

    In article <k6pa24$vfq$>,
    David Taylor <> wrote:

    > On 30/10/2012 18:25, nospam wrote:
    > []
    > > aren't you going to want to copy the photos to your computer?

    > Not necessarily, no. I may be using my iPad as an in-the-field backup
    > storage device, reading from the camera's SD card.
    >
    > > after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
    > > and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
    > > photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
    > > additional to do.

    > I didn't take a second computer with me - hand luggage only, so the iPad
    > was /all/ I had. It is functionally lacking you have to admit, when it
    > needs a thousand taps to delete a week's photos.

    So you brought it along in the field as a backup device for your
    camera memory card, yet you seek a solution to mass-delete from the
    backup device when still in the field? What's the point of the back
    then? You seem to be using it not as a backup device, but rather a
    photo management tool. Because if it truly is a backup, the original
    shots are still in your camera, and selecting and deleting the same
    "thousands" of photos in the camera isn't really easier

    Needlesstosay, the iPad wasn't meant to be a backip device for
    photographers and the feature set is built around its intended
    purpose.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 31, 2012
  13. DanP

    Sandman Guest

    In article <k6peeg$v0c$>,
    David Taylor <> wrote:

    > > sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
    > > cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
    > > delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.

    > It's still more complicated than it need be even when you have a
    > computer. Having folder names in hexadecimal is not friendly!

    When connected to a Mac, the photos show up in Aperture, iPhoto,
    Lightroom or the built in Image Capture. Each can select more or all
    and delete photos of the iPad very handily.

    If your Windows PC can't access the photos on your iPad the same way,
    I'm not sure who to blame.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 31, 2012
  14. DanP

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > >> My wife and her gang thought they could use an iPad to view photos in
    > >> the field. Isn't the iPad suitable for that? What other device would
    > >> you recommend buying for the purpose?

    > >they can do that, and from what you said, she *did* do that.

    > How she is expected to empty it out again afterwards?

    Using the methods outlined by the people responding to you in this
    thread.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 31, 2012
  15. DanP

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:55:49 PM UTC, Sandman wrote:
    > In article <k6peeg$v0c$>,
    >
    > David Taylor <> wrote:
    >

    > > > sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of

    > > > cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to

    > > > delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.

    > > It's still more complicated than it need be even when you have a

    > > computer. Having folder names in hexadecimal is not friendly!

    > When connected to a Mac, the photos show up in Aperture, iPhoto,
    >
    > Lightroom or the built in Image Capture. Each can select more or all
    >
    > and delete photos of the iPad very handily.
    >

    > If your Windows PC can't access the photos on your iPad the same way,
    >
    > I'm not sure who to blame.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Sandman[.net]

    Suppose Sony did a camera that worked well only with Sony laptops. Would you blame other computer manufacturers for failing to read from Sony cameras?

    I will blame the company that limits what the consumer can do with the product and I am talking about Apple here.

    DanP

    DanP, Oct 31, 2012
  16. DanP

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:28:13 PM UTC, DanP wrote:
    > On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:55:49 PM UTC, Sandman wrote:

    > > > It's still more complicated than it need be even when you have a

    > > > computer. Having folder names in hexadecimal is not friendly!

    > > When connected to a Mac, the photos show up in Aperture, iPhoto,

    > > Lightroom or the built in Image Capture. Each can select more or all

    > > and delete photos of the iPad very handily.

    > > If your Windows PC can't access the photos on your iPad the same way,

    > > I'm not sure who to blame.

    > > --

    > > Sandman[.net]

    > Suppose Sony did a camera that worked well only with Sony laptops. Would you blame other computer manufacturers for failing to read from Sony cameras?
    >

    > I will blame the company that limits what the consumer can do with the product and I am talking about Apple here.

    Doesn;t that depend on the limits. The ipad can't be used to make me a cup of tea, should I blame Apple of PG tips ?
    Or perhaps the consumer is just too stupid to know or understand what they're purchasing.
    I haven;t yet found a way of playing angry birds on my camera yet either, should I blame the manufacture, my camera's got an LCD so why can't it play games Doh!

    Whisky-dave, Oct 31, 2012
  17. DanP

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    DanP <> wrote:

    > > If your Windows PC can't access the photos on your iPad the same way,
    > > I'm not sure who to blame.

    > Suppose Sony did a camera that worked well only with Sony laptops. Would you
    > blame other computer manufacturers for failing to read from Sony cameras?

    I'm not sure this is a valid comparison. The iPad acts as a UBS mass
    storage device to the computer. This is why Lightroom will be able to
    import images from it. Adobe hasn't been given special code to
    implement this from Apple.

    Connecting the iPad to my Windows 7 computer asks me if I want to
    import the images on the camera. This is done seemlessly and easily to
    a folder of my choice.

    > I will blame the company that limits what the consumer can do with the
    > product and I am talking about Apple here.

    And the "limit" here seems to be that Apple did not facilitate
    deleting thousands of photos easily enough. Seeing that this doesn't
    logically fall under the intended use of the iPad, I fail to see how
    this is an actual limit. Or rather, if that's a limit, Apple also
    "Limits" you in that you can't monitor NASA spacecraft launches on
    your iPad homescreen.

    I'm exaggerating, of course, and a "select all" function wouldn't
    really be a bad idea, but I think it falls squarely outside the scope
    of normal usage of an iPad.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Oct 31, 2012
  18. DanP

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:00:30 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >why don't you go to the apple store and have them teach you.

    >> I dunno, but is there an Apple store convenient to him in New Zealand?

    >apparently, reading is not your strong suit.
    >
    >he said he's already been to an apple store, where the apple genius was
    >very young and googled for answers.

    He also said he has been traveling. I have been to many stores when
    traveling that do not have stores local to me when I'm at home.

    Try to read with understanding.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 31, 2012
  19. DanP

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:52:43 PM UTC, Sandman wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > DanP <> wrote:
    >

    > > > If your Windows PC can't access the photos on your iPad the same way,

    > > > I'm not sure who to blame.

    > > Suppose Sony did a camera that worked well only with Sony laptops. Would you

    > > blame other computer manufacturers for failing to read from Sony cameras?

    > I'm not sure this is a valid comparison. The iPad acts as a UBS mass
    >
    > storage device to the computer.

    Not quite as you can;t just dump anything on there as if it were a hard drive.
    I used to do that with my 30GB HDD iPod, I used it as an external disc drive, but you can;t use teh ipad for that.

    > This is why Lightroom will be able to
    >
    > import images from it. Adobe hasn't been given special code to
    >
    > implement this from Apple.
    >

    > Connecting the iPad to my Windows 7 computer asks me if I want to
    >
    > import the images on the camera. This is done seemlessly and easily to
    >
    > a folder of my choice.
    >

    > > I will blame the company that limits what the consumer can do with the

    > > product and I am talking about Apple here.

    > And the "limit" here seems to be that Apple did not facilitate
    >
    > deleting thousands of photos easily enough.

    I've deleted folders or rather events which contain those sorts of numbers

    > Seeing that this doesn't
    >
    > logically fall under the intended use of the iPad, I fail to see how
    >
    > this is an actual limit. Or rather, if that's a limit, Apple also
    >
    > "Limits" you in that you can't monitor NASA spacecraft launches on
    >
    > your iPad homescreen.

    Well you can download NASA podcasts, I don;t watch TV on my ipad but I do watch NASA and Hubble and various other video casts on the ipad rather than my computer.

    > I'm exaggerating, of course, and a "select all" function wouldn't
    >
    > really be a bad idea,

    Well using find my ipad yopu cpould remoteley delete everything ;-)

    > but I think it falls squarely outside the scope
    >
    > of normal usage of an iPad.

    Perhaps they will in the furture if they find lots of people are putting 1000s of photos on their ipad that they don;t want to look at.

    Whisky-dave, Oct 31, 2012
  20. DanP

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:00:32 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, I neither hate nor like Apple.

    >bullshit. your words tell a different story.
    >
    >> I'm very neutral about the
    >> products,

    >bullshit. you're always criticizing them, claiming they're overpriced
    >among other things.

    No, actually I have said that Macs are more expensive, but not that
    they are overpriced. To refute that they are more expensive by saying
    "not when you compare features" is to ignore the fact that not
    everyone needs or wants those features. It's ignoring a basic
    understanding of the word "expensive".

    I'm not, in general, critical of the products. All products have some
    feature or features that can be criticized. Apple products are not
    alone in this.

    I value the meaning of words in both their dictionary definition and
    their common usage definition. "Overpriced" has a more literal
    meaning as "priced unfairly in regard to their cost" and a common
    usage definition of "priced higher than I choose to spend". If Macs
    are overpriced to anyone, they are overpriced by the second meaning.
    I have no idea if they are or are not overpriced according to the
    first meaning.

    I am far more neutral about Apple products than you are.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 31, 2012