Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DanP, Oct 30, 2012.

  1. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> I didn't take a second computer with me - hand luggage only, so the iPad
    > >> was /all/ I had. It is functionally lacking you have to admit, when it
    > >> needs a thousand taps to delete a week's photos.

    > >delete them when you get home. since they're your backup, why would you
    > >want to delete them in the field?
    > >
    > >sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
    > >cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
    > >delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.

    > Please explain how you go about this.

    i did already but here it is once again:
    plug the ipad into the computer with the provided usb cable and it
    shows up like an ordinary digital camera. use whatever software you
    normally use, including explorer which you've said you like to use,
    select whatever photos you want, then copy and/or delete them as you
    would if it was any other digital camera.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012

  2. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> Why wouldn't it be a good viewing device that also is used as a second
    > >> source of the files in case the SD card is lost?

    > >because the maximum size of the ipad is 64 gig. once you subtract the
    > >space for apps, music, videos and whatever else you might have on it,
    > >there isn't much left for photos. it's the wrong product for the job.
    > >
    > >a portable storage device can have a terabyte drive, and it fits in a
    > >pants pocket too.

    > That assumes that the person who owns an iPad wants to store gigs and
    > gigs of music and video. I can't imagine that being true of all iPad
    > owners.

    that assumes that the person who owns an ipad wants to store gigs and
    gigs of photos. i can't imagine that being true of all ipad owners
    either.

    the ipad is a nice device but surprising as it may seem, it doesn't do
    everything. pick the right tool for the job.

    > Some may not store any videos and very little music and
    > prefer to use it as a viewer and for image storage. Apple's design
    > shorts the buyer of the device in their ability to use the device as
    > the owner would like to use it.

    nonsense.

    > If Eric would not choose to store video and music on his device, he's
    > still unable to utilize the functions as he chooses to.

    yes he can. he just doesn't want to.

    > The "job" for any device should be what the buyer of the device wants
    > it to be.

    i want my laptop to be a popcorn popper. it gives off heat, why can't
    it pop popcorn?

    > He should not have to spend additional money in buying
    > another device after buying an expensive device that does function as
    > a viewer and storage device.

    not only is there no need to spend money (where did that come from) but
    there's no need for any additional software either.

    what i suggested was to buy a device *specifically* designed for the
    task he wants to do. crazy as it may seem, using a product designed to
    do a given task is going to work a whole lot better than trying to make
    a general purpose device do that same task.

    i can shred paper with scissors. i can also buy a paper shredder which
    is designed to shred paper and it works a whole lot better, a whole lot
    faster, shreds the paper whole lot more securely, and can even shred
    other things such as credit cards and cd/dvds.

    > It seems that Apple simply fucked up and omitted including a simple
    > function that could have easily been included.

    you don't know how easy certain features could have been included, but
    regardless, ipads are selling like crazy so obviously it's not a
    feature that very many people care about.

    however, since you have all the answers, why don't you call tim cook
    and tell him what to do. he fired two execs yesterday, so maybe you can
    sign on as a consultant to help, while he searches for replacements.
    tell him just how simple it is to add. maybe it will even be in the
    next release.

    > Why try to make out
    > that this is Eric's fault?

    maybe because i already explained how several times and he refuses to
    follow it.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012

  3. DanP

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:42:13 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >because the maximum size of the ipad is 64 gig. once you subtract the
    >> >space for apps, music, videos and whatever else you might have on it,
    >> >there isn't much left for photos. it's the wrong product for the job.
    >> >
    >> >a portable storage device can have a terabyte drive, and it fits in a
    >> >pants pocket too.

    >> That assumes that the person who owns an iPad wants to store gigs and
    >> gigs of music and video. I can't imagine that being true of all iPad
    >> owners.

    >that assumes that the person who owns an ipad wants to store gigs and
    >gigs of photos. i can't imagine that being true of all ipad owners
    >either.

    Exactly. The owner of the device should decide what to store on the
    device.

    >the ipad is a nice device but surprising as it may seem, it doesn't do
    >everything. pick the right tool for the job.
    >
    >> Some may not store any videos and very little music and
    >> prefer to use it as a viewer and for image storage. Apple's design
    >> shorts the buyer of the device in their ability to use the device as
    >> the owner would like to use it.

    >nonsense.

    >> If Eric would not choose to store video and music on his device, he's
    >> still unable to utilize the functions as he chooses to.

    >yes he can. he just doesn't want to.
    >
    >> The "job" for any device should be what the buyer of the device wants
    >> it to be.

    >i want my laptop to be a popcorn popper. it gives off heat, why can't
    >it pop popcorn?

    You mean it can't? I'm sure there's an app for that, or at least one
    to give off the smell of buttered popcorn.

    >> He should not have to spend additional money in buying
    >> another device after buying an expensive device that does function as
    >> a viewer and storage device.

    >not only is there no need to spend money (where did that come from) but
    >there's no need for any additional software either.

    You've suggested adding an external storage device that stores
    terabytes of data. Are those free?

    >> It seems that Apple simply fucked up and omitted including a simple
    >> function that could have easily been included.

    >you don't know how easy certain features could have been included, but
    >regardless, ipads are selling like crazy so obviously it's not a
    >feature that very many people care about.

    Oh, so including a delete-all-marked feature is a difficult thing to
    come up with. Amazing that PC products have it.

    >however, since you have all the answers, why don't you call tim cook
    >and tell him what to do. he fired two execs yesterday, so maybe you can
    >sign on as a consultant to help, while he searches for replacements.
    >tell him just how simple it is to add. maybe it will even be in the
    >next release.

    I tried, but Tim was out of the office. He had been in San Jose and
    was going back to Cupertino, but used Apple's map software and is now
    somewhere in the middle of an Air Force practice bombing range in
    Arizona. He called in and said he's a little concerned and bogged
    down in the sand. But, according to his map, he's in a tidal lagoon.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 31, 2012
  4. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> That assumes that the person who owns an iPad wants to store gigs and
    > >> gigs of music and video. I can't imagine that being true of all iPad
    > >> owners.

    > >that assumes that the person who owns an ipad wants to store gigs and
    > >gigs of photos. i can't imagine that being true of all ipad owners
    > >either.

    > Exactly. The owner of the device should decide what to store on the
    > device.

    good thing that the owner can decide what to store on it. in fact, it's
    *entirely* up to the owner. shocking, isn't it? apple doesn't care what
    anyone puts on it.

    > >> He should not have to spend additional money in buying
    > >> another device after buying an expensive device that does function as
    > >> a viewer and storage device.

    > >not only is there no need to spend money (where did that come from) but
    > >there's no need for any additional software either.

    > You've suggested adding an external storage device that stores
    > terabytes of data. Are those free?

    i suggested buying a device designed *exactly* for the task because
    such a device does a much better job.

    the ipad can do what he wants, but it really isn't the best tool for
    the task. it will definitely do it, but there are much better choices
    *for that task*.

    for other tasks, the ipad is better. for instance, you can easily check
    email on an ipad but you can't on a portable storage device. you can
    easily upload photos to flickr or to your photostream from an ipad but
    not from a portable storage device.

    pick the best tool for the job.

    > >> It seems that Apple simply fucked up and omitted including a simple
    > >> function that could have easily been included.

    > >you don't know how easy certain features could have been included, but
    > >regardless, ipads are selling like crazy so obviously it's not a
    > >feature that very many people care about.

    > Oh, so including a delete-all-marked feature is a difficult thing to
    > come up with. Amazing that PC products have it.

    the ipad is a tablet, which means you compare it to other *tablets*.

    you do *not* compare the ipad to laptops or desktops. it is not a
    laptop and certainly not a desktop. it's a tablet. this is a very
    simple concept. why do you have so much trouble with it?

    what's amazing is that similar products (i.e., tablets, *not* laptops)
    have the same limitations.

    as i posted earlier, with android, you have to select the photos one by
    one, just as you do on the ipad. did you somehow miss that? why is that
    not a big deal also?

    it's also an edge case that very few people care about. it's not
    something that most people actually *do*, which is why competing
    devices don't do it *either*.

    users plug their tablet or smartphone into their computer and when the
    photos are copied, they're deleted automatically (unless set not to),
    just like any other digital camera. there isn't really a pressing need
    for deleting all of them on the device because in normal use, the
    photos are already deleted.

    sure, a few people might want to be able to delete 1000s of photos with
    a single tap on the device, but not enough of them to justify adding it
    when there are far more important features to implement. nothing is
    perfect.

    maybe one day you'll understand what actually goes on in designing and
    shipping a product. one can hope.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  5. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> It's still more complicated than it need be even when you have a
    > >> computer. Having folder names in hexadecimal is not friendly!

    > >copy the lot and sort it out in lightroom.

    > So you have to own Light Room or similar to work around the problems
    > Apple left in the iPad?

    nope. you can do it in explorer, if you like pain that is. maybe ask
    microsoft why you need lightroom to work around the problems in
    explorer.

    the reason i suggested lightroom is because it's the best tool for the
    job. using the best tools means you don't have the hassles of less
    capable tools and have more time to do more interesting things. sorting
    photos in explorer or finder is time consuming and a huge pain in the
    ass. sorting them in lightroom is easy and pleasant. guess which one i
    prefer.

    but as i said, you can still do it the hard way. i know tony prefers
    that.

    > >the names of the photos or the folders are irrelevant. what matters is
    > >the tags within the photos, namely the exif data.

    > As far as I can tell there is no way to access the Exif data of an
    > image in an iPad although you can buy apps to help fill this void.

    you can't be serious.

    they're standard jpegs, the same as from any other digital camera. the
    exif data is there, easily viewed with apps on the ipad (many of them
    free) or on your computer using any of a variety of tools, including
    phil harvey's exiftool.

    > >> The fact of the matter is that the iPad lacks a function which many
    > >> people would expect it to have, and saying that someone doesn't need
    > >> that function or that they could do it if they have a computer is just
    > >> making excuses for this omission.

    > >i said it would be nice to have a select all, but the lack of it is not
    > >as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

    > Big or little, it's a deal.

    it's little. insignificant, in fact.

    > >if you are going to be saving photos in the field, get a device
    > >designed for that purpose. the ipad isn't that device.

    > My wife and her gang thought they could use an iPad to view photos in
    > the field. Isn't the iPad suitable for that? What other device would
    > you recommend buying for the purpose?

    they can do that, and from what you said, she *did* do that.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  6. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Why wouldn't it be a good viewing device that also is used as a second
    > >> source of the files in case the SD card is lost?

    > >because the maximum size of the ipad is 64 gig. once you subtract the
    > >space for apps, music, videos and whatever else you might have on it,
    > >there isn't much left for photos. it's the wrong product for the job.

    > Are you really saying that with its Retina display and portability
    > it's still not suited to being used as a viewing device?

    i'm saying that it's not suitable for a portable storage device. at
    best, it will hold two 32 gig cards, if you have a 64 gig ipad that has
    nothing else on it. that's not a whole lot.

    you said your wife went away for six weeks. i know i would fill a 32
    gig card in a couple of days, if that long. a 64 gig ipad would *not*
    last six weeks for me. i doubt it would even last six days.

    however, if someone shoots a handful of photos a day, i'm sure it's
    fine.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  7. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > I am genuinely surprised that its got the ability to store and display
    > a large number of photographs but lacks the ability to easily manage
    > them with out the assistance of an external device or software.

    it can easily manage them on the device.

    you can edit the photos with a wide variety of apps, many of them free
    and very capable and others for very cheap. iphoto is $5 and photoshop
    touch is $10. you can also create albums and move photos to them. there
    are even apps that can sync with lightroom.

    > >> If Eric would not choose to store video and music on his device, he's
    > >> still unable to utilize the functions as he chooses to.

    > >yes he can. he just doesn't want to.

    > Not so. It's becoming increasingly obvious that I can't.

    only because you won't follow directions.

    why don't you go to the apple store and have them teach you.

    > >you don't know how easy certain features could have been included, but
    > >regardless, ipads are selling like crazy so obviously it's not a
    > >feature that very many people care about.

    > I would certainly have cared about it if I had known that this problem
    > existed. It's the kind of problem which would have turned me away from
    > the product had I known.

    the problem only exists only because you steadfastly refuse to follow
    directions.

    once again, plug it into the computer, copy the photos, delete the
    photos and you're done. it's *that* simple.

    > It's rather like being offered a beautifully designed car with no fuel
    > filler on the tank. To the ordinary person the presence of a fuel
    > filler is something you would take for granted.

    it's nothing like that and you know it.

    > >> Why try to make out
    > >> that this is Eric's fault?

    > >maybe because i already explained how several times and he refuses to
    > >follow it.

    > At this stage I am still cautious and I've explained why.

    you need to get over your irrational fears.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  8. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Part II of the Applefanatics credo: Apple products do everything you
    > >> want them to do except what you need to buy something else to do.

    > >part of the apple-haters playbook is to focus on one particular thing
    > >that doesn't work the way they might want it to work and bash away,
    > >even though they don't own the product and have no intention of ever
    > >owning it and ignoring that it's no different than other similar
    > >products. in other words, it doesn't affect them at *all*.

    > None of that applies to me.

    that wasn't in reply to you. it was in reply to tony, the resident
    apple-hater.

    > >><http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-s/185612-how-delete-multiple-photo

    > >s-selecting-thumbnails.html>
    > > I'm at a complete loss on how to select multiple photos to delete.
    > > Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    > >
    > > Go to Gallery--->All photos (or particular folder)--->Delete--->then
    > > check off the photos you want to Delete--->then hit the Delete (#) at
    > > the bottom. That should do it...
    > >
    > ><http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/192874-deleting-multipl
    > >e-photos.html>
    > > I know how to delete individuals photos from the S-3, one at a time.
    > > But is there a way to select multiple photos and delete them all at
    > > once?
    > >
    > > Press and hold on one picture until it is highlighted. Then begin to
    > > tap each additional picture icon you wish to highlight. The highlight
    > > should stick to each icon and finally, when done selecting them,
    > > press the trash icon on the upper right.

    > It seems none of them are very bright, doesn't it?

    then why don't you design a tablet, seeing that you know what's
    important for end users. maybe if you include these much needed
    features, you'll sell more than apple and samsung and everyone else.
    good luck.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  9. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Please explain how you go about this.

    > >i did already but here it is once again:
    > >plug the ipad into the computer with the provided usb cable and it
    > >shows up like an ordinary digital camera. use whatever software you
    > >normally use, including explorer which you've said you like to use,
    > >select whatever photos you want, then copy and/or delete them as you
    > >would if it was any other digital camera.

    > Aah - but I don't do that with a digital camera. I've encountered too
    > many stories about memory cards being stuffed up by this kind of
    > activity until they are reformatted by the camera.

    that's largely overblown. the memory cards have a standard fat file
    system. if deleting a file corrupts the card, then whatever did the
    deleting is buggy, not the act of deleting. i regularly delete
    individual photos on cards, without having any problems.

    > I certainly don't
    > want this kind of problem with an iPad.

    you *can't* have that problem with an ipad.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  10. DanP

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:00:53 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >why don't you go to the apple store and have them teach you.

    I dunno, but is there an Apple store convenient to him in New Zealand?

    >once again, plug it into the computer, copy the photos, delete the
    >photos and you're done. it's *that* simple.

    How do he do that when he's traveling and away from home?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 31, 2012
  11. DanP

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:00:54 -0700, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >that wasn't in reply to you. it was in reply to tony, the resident
    >apple-hater.

    Actually, I neither hate nor like Apple. I'm very neutral about the
    products, but don't see the need personally to buy something more
    expensive than I need to own.

    I do admit to disliking Appleholics, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 31, 2012
  12. DanP

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 00:57:02 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:00:54 -0700, nospam <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>that wasn't in reply to you. it was in reply to tony, the resident
    >>apple-hater.

    >Actually, I neither hate nor like Apple. I'm very neutral about the
    >products, but don't see the need personally to buy something more
    >expensive than I need to own.
    >
    >I do admit to disliking Appleholics, though.

    I should amend that last statement. I hold no brief with someone who
    uses and likes their Apple product. It's the ones who think they've
    found Jesus in the box and then use the box like a Fundamentalist's
    pulpit.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 31, 2012
  13. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >why don't you go to the apple store and have them teach you.

    > I dunno, but is there an Apple store convenient to him in New Zealand?

    apparently, reading is not your strong suit.

    he said he's already been to an apple store, where the apple genius was
    very young and googled for answers.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  14. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > Actually, I neither hate nor like Apple.

    bullshit. your words tell a different story.

    > I'm very neutral about the
    > products,

    bullshit. you're always criticizing them, claiming they're overpriced
    among other things.

    > but don't see the need personally to buy something more
    > expensive than I need to own.

    nobody said you or anyone else has to buy something more expensive than
    needed. yet another feeble attempt to twist things into something it
    isn't.

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012
  15. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 30/10/2012 21:17, tony cooper wrote:
    []
    > That must be part of the Applefanatics credo: If you can't do it on
    > an Apple product, it's no big deal regardless of what the user thinks.

    []
    > Part II of the Applefanatics credo: Apple products do everything you
    > want them to do except what you need to buy something else to do.

    It comes across like that. It surprises slightly that people can't
    bring themselves to admit that that Apple products have faults - it
    seems that there is a lack of objectivity. Reasoned argument goes out
    of the window.

    BTW: my last trip used about 20 GB of memory - not everyone shoots in RAW!
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012
  16. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 31/10/2012 03:56, Savageduck wrote:
    []
    > The iPad makes a great image viewing device. It is just not the best
    > backup device. It only fills that role in a pinch. The iPad with the
    > retina display makes a better viewing device.

    ... and if you've copied, say, 300 photos across from an SD card to show
    someone on the excellent display, you /still/ have the problem of
    deleting those 300 photos without having to tap each and every one. The
    problem still exists whether it's a display or a backup device.

    Oh, and let's not mention the picture ordering issue when used as a
    display from images copied from an SD card.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012
  17. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 31/10/2012 03:05, Eric Stevens wrote:
    []
    > It seems none of them are very bright, doesn't it?

    With my Android phone, there is a File Manager program which runs on the
    device itself, and it /does/ include a Select All option.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012
  18. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 30/10/2012 21:22, Savageduck wrote:
    []
    > Damn! you have to stop getting me to agree with you. ;-)
    > The iPad makes a terrible in the field backup device. You would be
    > better off using an iPhone as a WiFi hotspot and transferring files to
    > one of the cloud services such as DB or PogoPlug.
    >
    > For in the field backup you cannot do much better than a Colorspace
    > UDMA. It handles CF, SDHC, MS etc. It does full and incremental backups
    > from the cards and connects to laptop/desktop via USB.
    > < http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm >

    Where I was recently there was /no/ Internet access, and if it had been
    available, via a mobile phone it would have been desperately expensive.
    For me, there's enough free space on the iPad, so I don't need yet
    another box (and its charger, weight and bulk). Why take two boxes when
    one will do?

    I do appreciate that your needs are different as you take RAW and need
    more space. BTW: can you transfer files from the Colorspace to the iPad
    for display?
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012
  19. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 31/10/2012 02:35, Eric Stevens wrote:
    []
    > My wife and her gang thought they could use an iPad to view photos in
    > the field. Isn't the iPad suitable for that? What other device would
    > you recommend buying for the purpose?

    It's ideal for that job, Eric. We use ours quite a bit. Excellent
    quality display for just one or two gathered round.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012
  20. DanP

    David Taylor Guest

    On 31/10/2012 03:12, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:42:08 -0700, nospam <>
    > wrote:

    []
    >> i did already but here it is once again:
    >> plug the ipad into the computer with the provided usb cable and it
    >> shows up like an ordinary digital camera. use whatever software you
    >> normally use, including explorer which you've said you like to use,
    >> select whatever photos you want, then copy and/or delete them as you
    >> would if it was any other digital camera.

    > Aah - but I don't do that with a digital camera. I've encountered too
    > many stories about memory cards being stuffed up by this kind of
    > activity until they are reformatted by the camera. I certainly don't
    > want this kind of problem with an iPad.

    Do try what nospam suggests - it does work. Only the directories
    containing images are exposed to the PC, so you can't accidentally
    delete the operating system or user programs.

    You /can/ get a program called iPhone Explorer (IIRC) which /does/ allow
    that level of access, though. Caveat Emptor in that case!
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Oct 31, 2012