Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DanP, Oct 30, 2012.

  1. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >but since you are convinced i'm wrong, perhaps you can explain why
    > >steve jobs himself said *exactly* what i'm saying.

    >
    > An advertising 'puff'.


    it's not a puff. it's exactly as he said it was.
     
    nospam, Nov 12, 2012
    1. Advertising

  2. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > To claim that OS X is a particular operating system is foolish. To
    > keep on insisting that it is a particular operating system is stupid.
    > OS X is a family of related operating systems. The name is generic.


    in other words, you admit mac os x and ios are both os x, just as i
    said several days ago. crazy.
     
    nospam, Nov 12, 2012
    1. Advertising

  3. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <509ec361$0$15614$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >>>> Therefore we can run Photoshop CS6 on an iPad?
    > >>>> How about Lightroom?
    > >>>> Corel PSP>
    > >>>>
    > >>>> Which ones, Mac version, can we run on the iPad.
    > >>>
    > >>> haven't been paying attention, have you? no surprise there.
    > >>>
    > >>> i never said ipads and iphones ran *mac* os x and i've repeatedly
    > >>> explained how it all fits together.
    > >>>
    > >>> i said the ipad and other ios devices run os x, which they do.
    > >>>
    > >>> here's steve jobs saying exactly what i said (at about the 4 min mark,
    > >>> about 10 seconds from the start point), when the iphone was announced:
    > >>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLb5XdxRm8&t=3m50s>
    > >>
    > >> I've been paying lots of attention, and cringing at your misstatements.
    > >> If the OS is the same, the software should run on both platforms.

    > >
    > > if you were actually paying attention, which obviously you haven't,
    > > then you'd realize that isn't what i said at all.
    > >
    > >> Again, you are shifting positions.

    > >
    > > not at all. i've been completely consistent the entire time.
    > >
    > > you and certain others don't understand the internals of os x and the
    > > differences between os x, mac os x and ios, which is perfectly fine.
    > > not everyone does. most people just want to use the devices and don't
    > > really care what goes on inside.
    > >
    > > what's *not* fine is saying things that are factually incorrect or
    > > worse, fabricating things.
    > >
    > > but since you are convinced i'm wrong, perhaps you can explain why
    > > steve jobs himself said *exactly* what i'm saying.
    > >
    > > or maybe you can't, because what i said is exactly true.
    > >
    > > did you even watch the video clip?

    >
    > the fact is your statement is almost meaningless.


    it's not at all. further proof you don't understand it.

    steve jobs spent several minutes in the keynote explaining how an
    iphone runs os x. it's not meaningless. it's what it is.

    > Most of us have
    > mothers. Why bother commenting on that.


    not relevant.

    > Please tell us exactly what you are saying, and what's your point?--


    i have, several times.

    if you've been paying half as much attention as you claim you are, you
    would already know.

    how about you please tell us why steve jobs said the same thing i am.
     
    nospam, Nov 12, 2012
  4. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> With entirely differnt processors they can't run a common core. They
    > >> may have a common source code but neithe the Intel chips nor thee
    > >> Apple 'A' series havee the ability to directly run an uncompiled
    > >> source code.

    > >
    > >nobody said they could run uncompiled source code.
    > >
    > >they do have common source code, and it's called os x.

    >
    > Now you say they share a common source code. Not long ago you claimed
    > they shared a common core.


    one leads to the other.

    > >the parts that are different make it either mac os x or ios.

    >
    > ... but Mac OS X is not the same as iOS.


    i never said they were. i said they're both os x.

    think of it in layers. at the core is the kernel and then os x above
    it. so far, it's the same. above that is either mac os x or ios, the
    point at which they diverge.

    > Not even parts of it are the
    > same.


    wrong. significant portions are the same, including core foundation,
    core animation, opengl and quite a bit more. you are welcome to peruse
    the extensive apple developer documentation for the gory details.

    what that means is that a developer can take substantial amounts of
    code from a mac application and put it into an ios app or vice versa.
    that would not be possible if parts were not the same. many apps do
    exactly that.

    you are in well over your head.

    > Think - different processors need different code to carry out the same
    > task. Processors constructed as differently as the Intel and the ARM
    > won't even undertake the same task in identical fashions, they won't
    > even have identical task capabilities. To claim the operating systems
    > are the same is stupid. They might be generically similar but that's
    > the best you can say.


    much more than generically the same.

    you are fixated on it being bit for bit binary identical. that's just
    not going to happen, even among different devices. the iphone 3gs,
    iphone 4 and iphone 5 all have different processors and the firmware is
    a different binary for each. if you did a bit comparison, you'd find a
    lot of differences. however, they're all the same ios version and to
    the user, in every way identical. users don't give a hoot that there
    are armv7 optimizations in there.

    it's entirely possible (and in fact, there are some rumours) that apple
    will switch macs to arm processors. then what will you say? no more mac
    os x? will it suddenly be ios because a mac might have an arm chip
    inside?

    it's also possible that apple could switch ios devices to intel if
    intel can come up with a chip that's as power efficient as arm. that's
    not as likely, but who knows what intel is up to.

    users won't notice any difference, nor will they care. developers will
    recompile and release an update.

    > >> >> >call it shell if you like. call it whatever you want. it's what's
    > >> >> >*under* what you are calling a shell that's the same on macs and
    > >> >> >idevices, and that's called os x. what's above it is either mac os x or
    > >> >> >ios.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> "same on macs and idevices". So you can take the code from an Intel
    > >> >> powered mac and run it unchanged on an idevice?
    > >> >
    > >> >you sure can. quite a bit of code is identical on both platforms.
    > >>
    > >> They might share some of the descriptive text strings but that's all.
    > >> THee two varieties of processors don't speak the samee language.

    > >
    > >which means it's the same.

    >
    > Duh!
    >
    > Copiously different means its the same? What are you smoking?


    you said it's the same, then you say it's different. make up your mind.

    > >> >as i've said a few times now (which you keep missing) is that the user
    > >> >interface is the part that's different. the rest is basically the same.
    > >>
    > >> As I've said a few times now (which you keep missing) is that even if
    > >> you ignore the user interface the rest _has_ to be entirely different
    > >> and therefore cannot be the same.

    > >
    > >are you saying that compiling something for a different processor makes
    > >it an entirely different operating system?

    >
    > Ask the processors.


    again with the binary.

    if they're different, how is it that a developer can write one app that
    runs on powerpc and intel macs? they don't code for each processor.

    > >if so, then what did powerpc macs run? current intel macs run mac os x,
    > >so powerpc macs would had to have been something else if it's 'entirely
    > >different'.

    >
    > Quite right. Calling two software packages by the same generic name
    > does not make them interchangeable.


    they were called the same name because they *are* the same.

    > >you are fixated on the binary being different which is irrelevant.
    > >nobody disputes that a different processor needs a different binary. os
    > >x is processor agnostic, as are other operating systems, notably linux.
    > >
    > >> >once again: os x is the core, which is common to mac os x and ios.
    > >>
    > >> Are you saying that OS X is uncompiled?

    > >
    > >what apple engineers work on certainly is.

    >
    > ... and from there on its a complete mystery to you.


    wrong. i'm far more familiar with the innards of os x than you'll ever
    be.

    > >> >> In fact you have already claimed the same OS will run "on intel and
    > >> >> power pc chips". You know that's utter nonsense. The introduction of
    > >> >> Intel chips required a complete rewrite of the operating system
    > >> >> culminating in OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard" which would not run on the
    > >> >> PowerPC based machines.
    > >> >
    > >> >it's not nonsense at all. mac os x on powerpc is exactly the same as
    > >> >mac os x on intel. if the user didn't know what processor was in the
    > >> >mac they're using, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. the
    > >> >leopard dvd booted both powerpc and intel macs, and it could be
    > >> >installed on a hard drive that booted both.
    > >>
    > >> Do you remember I asked you if you had heard of 'conditional instals'?
    > >> This is why. The first thing the OS X installer would have to do is
    > >> determine the type of processor and then install the correct chunks of
    > >> code. Of course the factory wouldn't have to do that more than once.
    > >> All they would do is is keep copying the correct version into each new
    > >> machine.

    > >
    > >except it doesn't work that way. you are once again, wrong.
    > >
    > >as i said, the leopard dvd, out of the box, boots *both* powerpc and
    > >intel macs. this is *before* any installer runs. one single dvd, two
    > >totally different platforms. it's a universal binary. just pop it into
    > >the dvd drive and boot.
    > >
    > >when you run the leopard installer, it installs a universal system that
    > >works on both platforms. there is no conditional install, which is why
    > >a leopard install on a hard drive will boot *both* powerpc and intel
    > >macs, just as it does from the dvd.
    > >
    > >similarly, most mac apps are also universal binaries. the same app runs
    > >on either platform. most mac apps do not have installers, the app is
    > >simply dragged to wherever the user wants to put them. some apps do
    > >have installers, generally ones with many components in various places
    > >such as photoshop, and what they install also runs on both platforms.

    >
    > If the software is truly as interchangeable as you claim how is it
    > that Mac OS X Leopard, version 10.5, is the last version to support
    > bother Power PCs and Intel processors. Later versions supported only
    > Intel. Was this because Apple stopped providing something in the code
    > or because at this point they decided to poison the Power PC
    > processors if they tried to run it?


    it's because powerpc macs stopped being sold in 2006, some 6 years ago,
    so there's little point in maintaining a powerpc build. there just
    aren't enough users with powerpc macs anymore to matter. apple is far
    better off putting their resources towards developing new features on
    new machines, not maintaining old code for a tiny fraction of users.

    > If what you claim is correct Apple should have been able to go on
    > supporting both processors in later versions of Leopard. But they
    > didn't. What happened.


    see above. not enough users to bother. they could have but at some
    point you need to move forward.

    > >> >also, what a lot of people don't realize was that mac os x was running
    > >> >on intel *before* it was running on powerpc. the intel build was kept
    > >> >secret all along.
    > >> >
    > >> >the only nonsense is what you keep posting. you haven't a clue.
    > >>
    > >> Why do you keep avoiding the difference between source code and
    > >> run-time code?

    > >
    > >i'm not avoiding the difference at all. you're fixated on it, for some
    > >reason.

    >
    > Because its the run-time code which causes a computer to operate.


    again, you're fixated on it being bit for bit binary identical. that
    isn't the issue. as i said, even products of the same family will have
    different binaries, but that doesn't mean they run different operating
    systems.

    > >> > ... but that doesn't mean it's a different
    > >> >operating system.
    > >>
    > >> But it destroys your claim that the same operating system is installed
    > >> on all machines.

    > >
    > >you just said it was the same!

    >
    > You really believe that! You are nuts.
    >
    > Right from the beginning I have been saying the run time code is
    > processor dependent and will be different for different machines.


    so what? that isn't the issue, no matter how hard you try to twist it.
     
    nospam, Nov 12, 2012
  5. DanP

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/12/2012 9:28 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <509ec361$0$15614$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>>>>> Therefore we can run Photoshop CS6 on an iPad?
    >>>>>> How about Lightroom?
    >>>>>> Corel PSP>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Which ones, Mac version, can we run on the iPad.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> haven't been paying attention, have you? no surprise there.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> i never said ipads and iphones ran *mac* os x and i've repeatedly
    >>>>> explained how it all fits together.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> i said the ipad and other ios devices run os x, which they do.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> here's steve jobs saying exactly what i said (at about the 4 min mark,
    >>>>> about 10 seconds from the start point), when the iphone was announced:
    >>>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLb5XdxRm8&t=3m50s>
    >>>>
    >>>> I've been paying lots of attention, and cringing at your misstatements.
    >>>> If the OS is the same, the software should run on both platforms.
    >>>
    >>> if you were actually paying attention, which obviously you haven't,
    >>> then you'd realize that isn't what i said at all.
    >>>
    >>>> Again, you are shifting positions.
    >>>
    >>> not at all. i've been completely consistent the entire time.
    >>>
    >>> you and certain others don't understand the internals of os x and the
    >>> differences between os x, mac os x and ios, which is perfectly fine.
    >>> not everyone does. most people just want to use the devices and don't
    >>> really care what goes on inside.
    >>>
    >>> what's *not* fine is saying things that are factually incorrect or
    >>> worse, fabricating things.
    >>>
    >>> but since you are convinced i'm wrong, perhaps you can explain why
    >>> steve jobs himself said *exactly* what i'm saying.
    >>>
    >>> or maybe you can't, because what i said is exactly true.
    >>>
    >>> did you even watch the video clip?

    >>
    >> the fact is your statement is almost meaningless.

    >
    > it's not at all. further proof you don't understand it.
    >
    > steve jobs spent several minutes in the keynote explaining how an
    > iphone runs os x. it's not meaningless. it's what it is.
    >
    >> Most of us have
    >> mothers. Why bother commenting on that.

    >
    > not relevant.
    >
    >> Please tell us exactly what you are saying, and what's your point?--

    >
    > i have, several times.
    >
    > if you've been paying half as much attention as you claim you are, you
    > would already know.
    >
    > how about you please tell us why steve jobs said the same thing i am.
    >


    Take a self study course in logic 101.

    Bye


    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Nov 13, 2012
  6. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <50a1a977$0$15615$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > Take a self study course in logic 101.


    take a course in mac and ios programming first.
     
    nospam, Nov 14, 2012
  7. DanP

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > The question is whether or not all these devices run the same
    > operating system.


    no it isn't.

    the question is whether mac os x and ios share a common core called os
    x, which they do. this is a *fact*, whether you choose to believe it or
    not.

    > You insist they do.


    i never said all the devices run the same os. *you* said that, because
    you're confused.

    > Others have repeatedly pointed
    > out they do not and can not. There are too many differences in the
    > hardware to enable the same operating system to run on all of them.


    yes, and i mentioned that in one of the first posts!

    you missed that too.

    > Also, there are many things which will run on one operating system and
    > not another. This applies even if you separate if you separate th
    > shell from the definition of operating system.


    so?

    there are many things that will run or not run on slightly different
    versions of the *same* operating system, such as xp sp2 and sp3, or mac
    os x 10.6.7 and 10.6.8.

    > That the operating systems cannot be the same should be evident from
    > first principles. That they are not the same is mmade evident by he
    > need to write and enormous number of 'apps' to provide software which
    > runs on the iPad and iPhone. The same software will not run on the Mac
    > for the simple reason that the operating systems are too different.


    missing the point entirely.

    > All of this is obvious to most people, but not you.


    what's obvious is you're talking out your ass, particularly to anyone
    who has done any mac or iphone software development.

    > You rely for your
    > argument on five year old clip of Steve Jobs saying that "the iPhone
    > runs OS 10".


    i'm not relying on it. it's another piece of evidence that confirms
    what i said is true and shows just how utterly confused you are.

    if the video clip is too old (not that it matters since it's still just
    as true now as it was then), then there's extensive apple developer
    documentation that says the same thing, which you are ignoring also.

    > Well, maybe it does if you rely on a simple diagram or
    > flow chart of OS 10's schema. It may be largely true even at the
    > source code level (although I expect there will be some enormous
    > differences).


    in other words, you have no idea. 'maybe it does', how funny.

    > But computing devices do not run on diagrams, flow
    > charts or source code. As you well know, they run on a binary code
    > which has to be intelligible to the processor. No matter how you
    > wriggle and squirm, and no matter how much you deny it, you know all
    > this as well as I do.


    that's *not* the issue, no matter how desperately you try to make it
    that.

    > Unless you come up with something really new, I'm stopping at this
    > point.


    good.
     
    nospam, Nov 14, 2012
  8. DanP

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:59:19 AM UTC, PeterN wrote:
    > On 11/12/2012 9:28 AM, nospam wrote:
    >
    > > In article <509ec361$0$15614$-secrets.com>, PeterN

    >
    > > <> wrote:

    >
    > >

    >
    > >>>>>> Therefore we can run Photoshop CS6 on an iPad?

    >
    > >>>>>> How about Lightroom?

    >
    > >>>>>> Corel PSP>

    >
    > >>>>>>

    >
    > >>>>>> Which ones, Mac version, can we run on the iPad.

    >
    > >>>>>

    >
    > >>>>> haven't been paying attention, have you? no surprise there.

    >
    > >>>>>

    >
    > >>>>> i never said ipads and iphones ran *mac* os x and i've repeatedly

    >
    > >>>>> explained how it all fits together.

    >
    > >>>>>

    >
    > >>>>> i said the ipad and other ios devices run os x, which they do.

    >
    > >>>>>

    >
    > >>>>> here's steve jobs saying exactly what i said (at about the 4 min mark,

    >
    > >>>>> about 10 seconds from the start point), when the iphone was announced:

    >
    > >>>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VLb5XdxRm8&t=3m50s>

    >
    > >>>>

    >
    > >>>> I've been paying lots of attention, and cringing at your misstatements.

    >
    > >>>> If the OS is the same, the software should run on both platforms.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> if you were actually paying attention, which obviously you haven't,

    >
    > >>> then you'd realize that isn't what i said at all.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>>> Again, you are shifting positions.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> not at all. i've been completely consistent the entire time.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> you and certain others don't understand the internals of os x and the

    >
    > >>> differences between os x, mac os x and ios, which is perfectly fine.

    >
    > >>> not everyone does. most people just want to use the devices and don't

    >
    > >>> really care what goes on inside.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> what's *not* fine is saying things that are factually incorrect or

    >
    > >>> worse, fabricating things.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> but since you are convinced i'm wrong, perhaps you can explain why

    >
    > >>> steve jobs himself said *exactly* what i'm saying.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> or maybe you can't, because what i said is exactly true.

    >
    > >>>

    >
    > >>> did you even watch the video clip?

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> the fact is your statement is almost meaningless.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > it's not at all. further proof you don't understand it.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > steve jobs spent several minutes in the keynote explaining how an

    >
    > > iphone runs os x. it's not meaningless. it's what it is.

    >
    > >

    >
    > >> Most of us have

    >
    > >> mothers. Why bother commenting on that.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > not relevant.

    >
    > >

    >
    > >> Please tell us exactly what you are saying, and what's your point?--

    >
    > >

    >
    > > i have, several times.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > if you've been paying half as much attention as you claim you are, you

    >
    > > would already know.

    >
    > >

    >
    > > how about you please tell us why steve jobs said the same thing i am.

    >
    > >

    >
    >
    >
    > Take a self study course in logic 101.


    Nah 10.1 we're still on OS X (Ten) not OS 100 ;-)
    But by the time this thread is over we could well be on OS C

    >
    >
    >
    > Bye
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Peter
     
    Whisky-dave, Nov 14, 2012
  9. DanP

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/14/2012 7:31 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <50a1a977$0$15615$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Take a self study course in logic 101.

    >
    > take a course in mac and ios programming first.
    >


    Bye


    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  10. DanP

    DanP Guest

    On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:31:27 PM UTC, nospam wrote:
    > In article <50a1a977$0$15615$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Take a self study course in logic 101.

    >
    >
    >
    > take a course in mac and ios programming first.


    You have a point here, Mac philosophy trumps logic.


    DanP
     
    DanP, Nov 15, 2012
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RichA

    Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

    RichA, Oct 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    283
    PeterN
    Nov 1, 2012
  2. nospam

    Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

    nospam, Oct 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    278
    nospam
    Oct 31, 2012
  3. nospam

    Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

    nospam, Oct 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    241
    nospam
    Oct 30, 2012
  4. nospam

    Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

    nospam, Oct 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    288
    nospam
    Oct 31, 2012
  5. nospam

    Re: How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

    nospam, Oct 31, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    295
    nospam
    Oct 31, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page