    THAT SLUTTY ACTRESS WHO HAS TO SHOW HER FAKE TITS THAT LOOK LIKE MOLDY PINAPPLES CAN'T AFFORD THAT FUCKING HUMMER.

    I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN IF YOU ARE AGAINST PIRACY THEN YOU
    BRING A SPOON TO MY HOUSE AND EAT THE SHIT RIGHT OUT OF MY TOILET.
    SEVEN SEVILLE, Jan 2, 2004

  2. SEVEN SEVILLE

    luminos Guest

    "SEVEN SEVILLE"
    <> wrote in
    message news:1.com...

    NOBODY? OH, WHAT THE **** ACTOR WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY ANOTHER HOUSE.
    > THAT SLUTTY ACTRESS WHO HAS TO SHOW HER FAKE TITS THAT LOOK LIKE MOLDY

    PINAPPLES CAN'T AFFORD THAT FUCKING HUMMER.

    > I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN IF YOU ARE AGAINST PIRACY THEN

    YOU
    > BRING A SPOON TO MY HOUSE AND EAT THE SHIT RIGHT OUT OF MY TOILET.

    Idiot.
    luminos, Jan 2, 2004

  3. SEVEN SEVILLE

    mzmeryze Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:33:24 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >Idiot.

    You're the bigger idiot for quoting the troll.
    mzmeryze, Jan 3, 2004
  4. SEVEN SEVILLE

    Mark Guest

    mzmeryze <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:33:24 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:
    >

    > >Idiot.
    > >

    > You're the bigger idiot for quoting the troll.

    Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
    or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. Macrovision is a
    scheme which takes advantage of the AGC circuit in the majority of the
    video,VHS players now made. Circumvention of the copy protection is
    easily bypassed. Smartripper, ISO buster and other freeware is out for
    anyones use. You can hack the eprom code on the Apex units as well. No
    big deal as long as you have a legit use. Other than that, go buy it.
    Mark, Jan 3, 2004
  5. SEVEN SEVILLE

    Justin Guest

    Mark wrote on [2 Jan 2004 22:36:04 -0800]:
    > mzmeryze <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:33:24 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Idiot.
    >> >

    >> You're the bigger idiot for quoting the troll.

    > Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
    > or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. Macrovision is a

    In the USA it is indeed illegal to make a copy of a DVD
    Bypassing the CSS encryption is against the law.
    Justin, Jan 3, 2004
  6. SEVEN SEVILLE

    Jules Dubois Guest

    [sci.electronics.repair removed]

    On 2 Jan 2004 22:36:04 -0800, in article
    <news:>, Mark wrote:

    > Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
    > or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE.

    Unfortunately, in the U.S. it's illegal to make a copy of an encrypted DVD
    FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.

    > Circumvention of the copy protection is
    > easily bypassed.

    Although your description is poorly worded, this is exactly what is made
    illegal by the DMCA. It expressly forbids possession of a "device" that
    removes the "access controls" provided by the copyright owner, and that's
    what the Content Scrambling System (CSS) is. The law is deliberately vague
    on what constitutes such a "device" in order that the purchasers of the
    legislation -- the RIAA and the MPAA -- may attempt to provide their own
    definition.

    > Smartripper, ISO buster and other freeware is out for
    > anyones use. You can hack the eprom code on the Apex units as well.

    These are exactly the kind of "devices" that are now illegal.

    > No big deal as long as you have a legit use.

    No big deal except: A Russian programmer has already been prosecuted
    because the company he worked for produced software that could remove the
    encryption on Adobe Acrobat files. If the U.S. government will prosecute
    that offense, why would they not prosecute for decrypting DVDs?

    Pay no attention to that self-appointed barrister: . Never seek or accept
    legal advice from usenet -- my article specifically included.
    Jules Dubois, Jan 3, 2004
  7. SEVEN SEVILLE

    luminos Guest

    > >> You're the bigger idiot for quoting the troll.

    > > Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
    > > or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE. Macrovision is a

    > In the USA it is indeed illegal to make a copy of a DVD
    > Bypassing the CSS encryption is against the law.

    Section 4(c) of the DMCA specifically states that no section of the act
    should be construed to compromise Fair Use.

    This is the conflict in the DMCA. See www.eff.org
    luminos, Jan 3, 2004
  8. SEVEN SEVILLE

    Richard C. Guest

    "SEVEN SEVILLE" <>
    wrote in message news:1.com...
    : HEY ALL OF YOU ANTI-PIRACY RETARDS, BACK OFF OF ERICH.
    : HE SHOULD BE ALBE TO MAKE ALL THE COPIES HE WANTS.

    ===========================
    NO HE SHOULD NOT! HE ADMITTED HE WANTED TO COPY RENTED DVDS.
    ===========================

    : WHO IS HE HURTING? NOBODY? OH, WHAT THE **** ACTOR WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY ANOTHER
    HOUSE.
    : THAT SLUTTY ACTRESS WHO HAS TO SHOW HER FAKE TITS THAT LOOK LIKE MOLDY PINAPPLES
    CAN'T AFFORD THAT FUCKING HUMMER.

    ========================
    YOU ARE AN ASS!
    ==========================
    :
    : I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN IF YOU ARE AGAINST PIRACY THEN YOU
    : BRING A SPOON TO MY HOUSE AND EAT THE SHIT RIGHT OUT OF MY TOILET.
    :

    ========================
    YOU ARE CERTAINLY FULL OF IT!
    ======================
    Richard C., Jan 3, 2004
  9. SEVEN SEVILLE

    Richard C. Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
    : or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE.

    =================
    It is if you RENTED it. That is what the OP wanted to do.
    ==================
    Richard C., Jan 3, 2004
  10. SEVEN SEVILLE

    luminos Guest

    "Jules Dubois" <> wrote in message
    > [sci.electronics.repair removed]
    >
    > On 2 Jan 2004 22:36:04 -0800, in article
    > <news:>, Mark wrote:
    >
    > > Fortunately, it is not illegal to make a backup copy of the DVD, VHS
    > > or other media format for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE.

    > Unfortunately, in the U.S. it's illegal to make a copy of an encrypted DVD
    > FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.

    Absolutely incorrect. See my previous post on the DMCA and visit
    www.eff.org
    luminos, Jan 3, 2004
  11. SEVEN SEVILLE

    luminos Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > "SEVEN SEVILLE"

    <>
    > wrote in message news:1.com...
    > : HEY ALL OF YOU ANTI-PIRACY RETARDS, BACK OFF OF ERICH.
    > : HE SHOULD BE ALBE TO MAKE ALL THE COPIES HE WANTS.
    >
    > ===========================
    > NO HE SHOULD NOT! HE ADMITTED HE WANTED TO COPY RENTED DVDS.
    > ===========================

    This is true, and is definately not permitted by any interpretation of the
    DMCA. However, some interpretations of copyright law indicate that
    copying tapes for time shifting purposes should be allowed (see
    www.eff.org). You are supposed to destroy the copy after viewing the
    time-shifted copy...as if anyone would do that.
    luminos, Jan 3, 2004
  12. SEVEN SEVILLE

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:09:42 GMT, "luminos" <> Gave us:

    >This is true, and is definately not permitted by any interpretation of the
    >DMCA. However, some interpretations of copyright law indicate that
    >copying tapes for time shifting purposes should be allowed (see
    >www.eff.org). You are supposed to destroy the copy after viewing the
    >time-shifted copy...as if anyone would do that.

    There is NO such thing as a valid, legal time shifted copy of a
    rented film.

    If a light bulb were shown into one of your ears, it would show your
    skull cavity to be luminous, because the damned thing is HOLLOW.
    DarkMatter, Jan 3, 2004
  13. in article , DarkMatter at
    wrote on 1/3/04 2:38 PM:

    > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:09:42 GMT, "luminos" <> Gave us:
    >

    >> This is true, and is definately not permitted by any interpretation of the
    >> DMCA. However, some interpretations of copyright law indicate that
    >> copying tapes for time shifting purposes should be allowed (see
    >> www.eff.org). You are supposed to destroy the copy after viewing the
    >> time-shifted copy...as if anyone would do that.
    >>

    > There is NO such thing as a valid, legal time shifted copy of a
    > rented film.
    >
    > If a light bulb were shown into one of your ears, it would show your
    > skull cavity to be luminous, because the damned thing is HOLLOW.

    I love the way people here are stating not only what they think the law is,
    but what the law *will be* without any references whatsoever.

    Unless you can cite a precedent for any of this, the fact of the matter is
    that much of this is untested in the courts.

    In regards to time-shifting a copy of a rented VHS tape, I'd really like to
    know under what basis this would be considered illegal. Specifically where
    do you draw the line under what constitutes time-shifting.

    The bottom line is that the core of copyright law is to protect the artists
    and producers from fair income for their work. If someone rents a video,
    copies it, returns it, and then only watches the copy once before erasing
    it, how could you possibly prove any loss of income to the
    artists/producers?

    Renting it and keeping a copy is a totally different story.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Jan 4, 2004
  14. "MR_ED_of_Course" wrote ...
    > In regards to time-shifting a copy of a rented VHS tape, I'd really like

    > know under what basis this would be considered illegal. Specifically

    where
    > do you draw the line under what constitutes time-shifting.

    Time shifting, by definition, refers to capturing
    material off the air when you can't be there at its
    scheduled broadcast slot. You gotta have a really
    sleazy lawyer to argue that you couldn't be there
    when you copied the rental tape.
    Richard Crowley, Jan 4, 2004
  15. in article , Richard Crowley at
    wrote on 1/3/04 5:26 PM:

    > "MR_ED_of_Course" wrote ...
    >> In regards to time-shifting a copy of a rented VHS tape, I'd really like

    >> know under what basis this would be considered illegal. Specifically

    > where
    >> do you draw the line under what constitutes time-shifting.

    > Time shifting, by definition, refers to capturing
    > material off the air when you can't be there at its
    > scheduled broadcast slot. You gotta have a really
    > sleazy lawyer to argue that you couldn't be there
    > when you copied the rental tape.

    That's a great definition of *yours*, but it's not how it was defined by the
    court. The court ruled in the Sony v. Disney/Universal case based on a
    definition of time-shifting that was "watching the program once and only
    once at a later time".

    It very much was not specified that the program had to be broadcasted. In
    fact the suit was based on plaintiffs who were not broadcasters at the time.

    It also wasn't an issue of not being home at the time...specifically they
    considered people who recorded one show while watching another.

    The issues were whether (based on surveys) users were building up libraries
    versus recording to watch (once) at a time that was more convenient. Other
    issues involved whether one copyright holder had the right to prevent other
    copyright holders from allowing such use.

    Copying a rented video and keeping in a library is one thing, but copying a
    rented video to watch it once at a more convenient time is clearly defined
    as time-shifting.

    Even if it wasn't, the line still is a lot more fuzzy than that. What
    happens when a person has a TV with a buffering hard drive where all content
    piped into the TV is buffered so the person can pause, rewind and playback?

    Again, you gotta go to the bottom line in asking whether an activity
    deprives the copyright holder of income.

    Pushing the envelope here's what someone could do...
    Rent a DVD. Record the DVD* onto a DVD-RW or +RW. Watch the copied DVD
    once at a later time and then erase the DVD.

    * This would involve either recording the analog output of a DVD player, or
    accepting that the fair use act is not superceded by the DMCA so a bit
    perfect copy could be made.

    You'd have a hard time convincing a court that a copyright holder was
    deprived of income because the person did this.

    As far as not being their when the copy is being made...yes, I could see
    that happening. I make copies of content all the time before going on
    vacation where I dump shows from Tivo, burn DVDs of my own material, make
    CDs, all at the same time while I'm packing.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Jan 4, 2004
  16. SEVEN SEVILLE

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:25:44 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> Gave us:

    >In regards to time-shifting a copy of a rented VHS tape, I'd really like to
    >know under what basis this would be considered illegal. Specifically where
    >do you draw the line under what constitutes time-shifting.

    Time shifting is record now, watch later. It is for broadcast
    media. It is not for snaggin' a copy of a rental.

    Renting a DVD and then claiming that you needed to time shift a copy
    would get laughed at in the courts. It is not a reasonable
    application of fair use.
    DarkMatter, Jan 4, 2004
  17. SEVEN SEVILLE

    rstlne Guest

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:25:44 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    > >In regards to time-shifting a copy of a rented VHS tape, I'd really like

    > >know under what basis this would be considered illegal. Specifically

    where
    > >do you draw the line under what constitutes time-shifting.

    > Time shifting is record now, watch later. It is for broadcast
    > media. It is not for snaggin' a copy of a rental.
    >
    > Renting a DVD and then claiming that you needed to time shift a copy
    > would get laughed at in the courts. It is not a reasonable
    > application of fair use.

    It is if the rental place had a special 2 for 1 and he rented 30 ..
    he could only watch 15, and he manged to copy another 15 during that time

    UGH
    argue that..

    UGH
    this aint court

    lol
    rstlne, Jan 4, 2004
  18. SEVEN SEVILLE

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 08:47:36 -0000, "rstlne" <.@.> Gave us:

    >It is if the rental place had a special 2 for 1 and he rented 30 ..
    >he could only watch 15, and he manged to copy another 15 during that time

    No, it isn't.

    >UGH
    >argue that..

    You're retarded. Prove you aren't.

    >UGH
    >this aint court

    You don't have the brains for a courtroom.

    Sorry, dipshit, but if you are too goddamned brainless to rent only
    those that you can watch, then you should be using an etch-a-sketch.
    DarkMatter, Jan 4, 2004
  19. SEVEN SEVILLE

    Richard C. Guest

    "MR_ED_of_Course" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Unless you can cite a precedent for any of this, the fact of the matter is
    : that much of this is untested in the courts.
    :
    : In regards to time-shifting a copy of a rented VHS tape, I'd really like to
    : know under what basis this would be considered illegal. Specifically where
    : do you draw the line under what constitutes time-shifting.
    :
    =====================
    "time-shifting" applies ONLY to broadcasts of TV signals.
    Richard C., Jan 4, 2004
  20. SEVEN SEVILLE

    James Sweet Guest

    > On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 08:47:36 -0000, "rstlne" <.@.> Gave us:
    >
    > >It is if the rental place had a special 2 for 1 and he rented 30 ..
    > >he could only watch 15, and he manged to copy another 15 during that time

    > No, it isn't.
    > >
    > >UGH
    > >argue that..

    > You're retarded. Prove you aren't.
    > >
    > >UGH
    > >this aint court

    > You don't have the brains for a courtroom.
    >
    > Sorry, dipshit, but if you are too goddamned brainless to rent only
    > those that you can watch, then you should be using an etch-a-sketch.

    Who intentionally rents more movies than they can watch? That's just silly,
    it'd be so much effort to copy a bunch of movies to watch later that only a
    fool would do it on a regular basis. Why are people even still arguing this
    crap? If you wanna do it, do it, you probably won't get caught, if you do,
    legal or not you'll spend more money and time arguing in court to save your
    ass than it's worth, now can we please get back on topic?
    James Sweet, Jan 4, 2004