Re: How come usb flash drives have dropped so much in price in thelast couple of years

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Oct 7, 2008.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Bobs wrote:

    > I remember just a few years back a 1gb flash was about 50 bucks. A
    > year before that and they were about $80. Now you can get them for
    > $9. I just got hold of a perfectly fine 8gb drive for $26.
    >
    > What has changed recently to drive the prices down?

    You might find that they are slooooow. I bought a cheap 4GB and copying
    more than a hundred MB to it takes ages.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Oct 7, 2008

  2. Enkidu

    John W Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > I found that. I bought a 2GB Imation a while back for $60 and was quite
    > happy with it. Fast Forward maybe 18 months and I see a 4GB (can't
    > remember the brand and it's not written on it) for $24 in Paper Plus and
    > it's dog-slow compared to the 'old' Imation. It takes maybe 4 x as long to
    > copy the same file.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    There are two kinds of usb flash drives, mlc (multi layer cell) and slc
    (single
    layer cell). The slc kind are four to five times faster than mlc but more
    expensive. I've been shopping around a bit for the slc kind but the shops
    I've been to don't know the difference. I think there has been some kind
    of breakthrough in slc manufacture so maybe the mlc ones are being
    unloaded before the faster ones become popular. Maybe.
    John W, Oct 7, 2008

  3. Enkidu

    John W Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I found that. I bought a 2GB Imation a while back for $60 and was
    >>> quite happy with it. Fast Forward maybe 18 months and I see a 4GB
    >>> (can't remember the brand and it's not written on it) for $24 in
    >>> Paper Plus and it's dog-slow compared to the 'old' Imation. It takes
    >>> maybe 4 x as long to copy the same file.

    >> There are two kinds of usb flash drives, mlc (multi layer cell) and
    >> slc (single
    >> layer cell). The slc kind are four to five times faster than mlc but
    >> more expensive. I've been shopping around a bit for the slc kind but
    >> the shops I've been to don't know the difference. I think there has
    >> been some kind of breakthrough in slc manufacture so maybe the mlc
    >> ones are being unloaded before the faster ones become popular. Maybe.

    > Handy to know, thanks John. I've never seen either of those acronyms or
    > phrases on flash drive packaging. :-(
    > --
    > Shaun.

    A couple of other info bits that bear repeating for others.

    In device manager the usb flash, under policies, can be
    set to either 'optimize for quick removal' or
    'optimize for performance'
    don't know what difference it makes to speed.

    Also, when set for performance they can be formatted to ntfs.
    John W, Oct 7, 2008
  4. Re: How come usb flash drives have dropped so much in price in the last couple of years

    In message <48eb5193$>, John W wrote:

    > A couple of other info bits that bear repeating for others.
    >
    > In device manager the usb flash, under policies, can be
    > set to either 'optimize for quick removal' or
    > 'optimize for performance'
    > don't know what difference it makes to speed.

    That's Dimdows' long-winded way of letting you enable filesystem caching or
    not.

    > Also, when set for performance they can be formatted to ntfs.

    Funny how non-modular Dimdows is: it only does caching of NTFS but not VFAT,
    and the driver and filesystem layers are so closely tied that the
    filesystems you're allowed to use depend on the device--e.g. only ISO9660
    on optical disks, no NTFS allowed.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2008
  5. Enkidu

    eyes Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:
    >> You might find that they are slooooow. I bought a cheap 4GB and
    >> copying more than a hundred MB to it takes ages.

    > I found that. I bought a 2GB Imation a while back for $60 and was quite
    > happy with it. Fast Forward maybe 18 months and I see a 4GB (can't remember
    > the brand and it's not written on it) for $24 in Paper Plus and it's
    > dog-slow compared to the 'old' Imation. It takes maybe 4 x as long to copy
    > the same file.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Interesting.. I bought an Apacer 4GB to upgrade my Imation 2GB a couple
    of months back (for $20, why not?). The Apacer was in the order of 2-4x
    faster for both reads and writes...
    eyes, Oct 8, 2008
  6. In article <gchbkf$4p3$>, eyes <> wrote:
    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Enkidu" typed:
    >>> You might find that they are slooooow. I bought a cheap 4GB and
    >>> copying more than a hundred MB to it takes ages.

    >> I found that. I bought a 2GB Imation a while back for $60 and was quite
    >> happy with it. Fast Forward maybe 18 months and I see a 4GB (can't remember
    >> the brand and it's not written on it) for $24 in Paper Plus and it's
    >> dog-slow compared to the 'old' Imation. It takes maybe 4 x as long to copy
    >> the same file.

    >Interesting.. I bought an Apacer 4GB to upgrade my Imation 2GB a couple
    >of months back (for $20, why not?). The Apacer was in the order of 2-4x
    >faster for both reads and writes...

    In the abscence of a clear pattern here, I am starting to wonder whether the
    speed variations reported here are related to USB 1 vs USB 2 type
    connections to the devices. Anyone reporting the speed differences want to
    comment ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 8, 2008
  7. Enkidu

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-07, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Bobs wrote:
    >>
    >> I remember just a few years back a 1gb flash was about 50 bucks. A
    >> year before that and they were about $80. Now you can get them for
    >> $9. I just got hold of a perfectly fine 8gb drive for $26.
    >>
    >> What has changed recently to drive the prices down?
    >>

    > You might find that they are slooooow. I bought a cheap 4GB and copying
    > more than a hundred MB to it takes ages.

    Are you able to tell us some details and facts. As it stands you think it is
    too slow, yep always the case
    Gordon, Oct 8, 2008
  8. Enkidu

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-07, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Funny how non-modular Dimdows is: it only does caching of NTFS but not VFAT,
    > and the driver and filesystem layers are so closely tied that the
    > filesystems you're allowed to use depend on the device--e.g. only ISO9660
    > on optical disks, no NTFS allowed.

    Okay I'll bite.

    1) Why would one wish to put NTFS onto a CD/DVD?
    2) How does one put other FS onto the optical disk?

    I know I am missing something. Nothing new in that :)
    Gordon, Oct 8, 2008
  9. Re: How come usb flash drives have dropped so much in price in the last couple of years

    In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2008-10-07, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Funny how non-modular Dimdows is: it only does caching of NTFS but not
    >> VFAT, and the driver and filesystem layers are so closely tied that the
    >> filesystems you're allowed to use depend on the device--e.g. only ISO9660
    >> on optical disks, no NTFS allowed.

    > 1) Why would one wish to put NTFS onto a CD/DVD?

    Because your limited OS doesn't support ext2/ext3. :)

    OK, I'll save you the trouble of asking the next question:

    Q: Why would one wish to put ext2 (maybe not ext3) on a DVD (if not a CD)?
    A: Because it supports multi-gigabyte file sizes.

    > 2) How does one put other FS onto the optical disk?

    Create a volume image file, mount it loopback, do all your necessary file
    creation/modification, unmount, then write the volume image to the disc.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2008
  10. Enkidu

    eyes Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    >> In the abscence of a clear pattern here, I am starting to wonder
    >> whether the speed variations reported here are related to USB 1 vs
    >> USB 2 type connections to the devices. Anyone reporting the speed
    >> differences want to comment ?

    > My devices are both used on the same motherboard, an Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP and
    > are both reported as (and were packaged as) USB2 devices.
    >
    > I wish I'd got the device 'eyes' got.

    I saw an improvement on both XP at home on a MSI board, and 2003 at work
    on a newish HP machine. I used HD Tune to confirm my results on both. I
    have also used on various other machines and laptops and all seemed very
    fast indeed.
    eyes, Oct 8, 2008
  11. Re: How come usb flash drives have dropped so much in price in the last couple of years

    In article <-privat.org>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bruce Sinclair" typed:

    >>> Interesting.. I bought an Apacer 4GB to upgrade my Imation 2GB a
    >>> couple of months back (for $20, why not?). The Apacer was in the
    >>> order of 2-4x faster for both reads and writes...

    >> In the abscence of a clear pattern here, I am starting to wonder
    >> whether the speed variations reported here are related to USB 1 vs
    >> USB 2 type connections to the devices. Anyone reporting the speed
    >> differences want to comment ?

    >My devices are both used on the same motherboard, an Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP and
    >are both reported as (and were packaged as) USB2 devices.

    Only remaining question for you then is ... 'in the same USB socket ?'
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 9, 2008
  12. Enkidu

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > My devices are both used on the same motherboard, an Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP and
    > are both reported as (and were packaged as) USB2 devices.
    >
    > I wish I'd got the device 'eyes' got.

    USB2 covers 3 available speeds for devices to operate at. it needs to
    specify high speed usb 2.0 to mean that you will get the 480 megabit speeds.

    There are just some crap flashdrives out there too. I have a rundisk
    that is so slow that you would be faster to burn things to dvd sometimes
    then use the flashdrive - particually if its loads of small files.
    Richard, Oct 9, 2008
  13. Enkidu

    eyes Guest

    eyes wrote:
    > I saw an improvement on both XP at home on a MSI board, and 2003 at work
    > on a newish HP machine. I used HD Tune to confirm my results on both. I
    > have also used on various other machines and laptops and all seemed very
    > fast indeed.

    The apacer flash drive is transparent enough for me to read the 2 flash
    chips - Hynix HY27UU08AG5M.
    eyes, Oct 10, 2008