Re: How can I uninstall/remove Bing?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Jul 31, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > How can I uninstall/remove Bing?

    That isn't a very well formulated question - we have to guess at what
    you are talking about.

    Are you talking about this Bing bar?

    http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/install-free-toolbar.aspx Download and
    Install the New Free Bing Bar

    That same page has an uninstall tab nearby
    http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/toolbar-removal.aspx Step by step
    instructions on how to uninstall or remove a search toolbar from your
    browser.

    Or do you mean bing maps?

    You also didn't mention your browser.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 31, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/30/2010 9:41 PM Just to please that super-ego, Nick wrote the
    following tidbit of information:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>> How can I uninstall/remove Bing?

    >> That isn't a very well formulated question - we have to guess at what
    >> you are talking about.
    >>
    >> Are you talking about this Bing bar?
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/install-free-toolbar.aspx Download
    >> and Install the New Free Bing Bar
    >>
    >> That same page has an uninstall tab nearby
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/toolbar-removal.aspx Step by step
    >> instructions on how to uninstall or remove a search toolbar from your
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> Or do you mean bing maps?
    >>
    >> You also didn't mention your browser.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > Bing search is on the IE web browser. I am running Windows 7.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced.

    Well now that we know it's IE, try this:
    http://websearch.about.com/od/searchtipoftheday/qt/qt429.htm

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Jul 31, 2010

  3. Mike Easter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote ...
    >
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>> How can I uninstall/remove Bing?

    >> Are you talking about this Bing bar?
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/install-free-toolbar.aspx Download and
    >> Install the New Free Bing Bar
    >>
    >> That same page has an uninstall tab nearby
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/toolbar-removal.aspx Step by step
    >> instructions on how to uninstall or remove a search toolbar from your
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> Or do you mean bing maps?
    >>
    >> You also didn't mention your browser.

    > Bing search is on the IE web browser. I am running Windows 7.

    Uh huh. Looks like we make more guesses, like you are asking about IE8
    since that comes in Windows 7 and that you are asking about how to
    select between different search providers for the Search box in IE8. If
    I guessed correctly, what do you see if you click the down-arrow at the
    right-side of the Search box? Might there be a "Manage Search
    Providers" entry there?

    I doubt you can not have a search provider specified. You'll have to
    pick one. Doesn't have to be Bing. Could be Google. If you don't any
    of them then install a different one and disable the others (or demote
    them by selecting the new one as the default).

    Google still works, too, as in:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=IE8 "Internet Explorer 8" +change +"search provider"

    VanguardLH, Jul 31, 2010
  4. "Nick" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>> How can I uninstall/remove Bing?

    >> That isn't a very well formulated question - we have to guess at what you
    >> are talking about.
    >>
    >> Are you talking about this Bing bar?
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/install-free-toolbar.aspx Download and
    >> Install the New Free Bing Bar
    >>
    >> That same page has an uninstall tab nearby
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/toolbar/toolbar-removal.aspx Step by step
    >> instructions on how to uninstall or remove a search toolbar from your
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> Or do you mean bing maps?
    >>
    >> You also didn't mention your browser.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > Bing search is on the IE web browser. I am running Windows 7.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced.

    change search defaults in internet options.

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Jul 31, 2010
  5. Mike Easter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-31, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    > Nick wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote ...

    I think Microsoft might get rather upset if you actually did that! But
    the others have guessed that you really mean you just don't want to see it
    mentioned somewhere on your computer, which is at least a more realistic
    ambition.

    [...]

    > Google still works, too, as in:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=IE8 "Internet Explorer 8" +change +"search provider"

    Escape Google's clutches too!
    <http://www.teoma.com/web?qsrc=0&o=102541&l=dir&fhp=1&q=internet+explorer+search+engine>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 1, 2010
  6. Mike Easter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > Nick wrote:
    >
    >> How can I uninstall/remove Bing?

    > I think Microsoft might get rather upset if you actually did that! But
    > the others have guessed that you really mean you just don't want to see it
    > mentioned somewhere on your computer, which is at least a more realistic
    > ambition.

    I tested IE8 in a VM and found that you can remove all but one search
    provider. You cannot delete all search providers; otherwise, you would
    have a useless Search box populating IE8's top bar. Of course, that
    lone search provider that remains after you remove the others does NOT
    have to be for Bing. It could be for Google, Yahoo, or another provider
    that you installed.

    http://www.ieaddons.com/en/search-helpers/

    VanguardLH, Aug 1, 2010