Re: How are the banks doing these days?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 22, 7:08 am, thing <> wrote:
    > ie are they stable in Wellington or are they all still trying to move to
    > OZ or Auckland?
    >
    > Didnt ANZ move its IT to Auckland last year? what about the others?

    Reserve Bank will not let them move IT to Australia. The Reserve Bank
    requires sufficient local governance, management and IT capability of
    NZ wings of Australian banks to remain in NZ so they can fully
    function independently of anything that happens in Australia
    especially if a bank there tanks. This is in response to Australian
    banking laws which gives higher priority to Australian customers than
    New Zealand customers in the case of bank failure.

    peterwn, Jul 22, 2008

  2. peterwn

    Enkidu Guest

    Freesias wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:52:33 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >
    >>> The ANZ/National Bank's IT infrastructure is based in NZ, with all VOIP
    >>> being managed in Wellington.
    >>>

    >> ANZ IT is substantially in Auckland though?

    > I'm not sure where the boxen are physically located, but I know all their
    > VOIP telephony is managed from Wellington, as I know people who do that.

    It doesn't matter where the gear is located, it can be managed from
    anywhere in the world.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 22, 2008

  3. peterwn

    Matty F Guest

    On Jul 22, 3:16 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Jul 22, 7:08 am, thing <> wrote:
    >
    > > ie are they stable in Wellington or are they all still trying to move to
    > > OZ or Auckland?

    > > Didnt ANZ move its IT to Auckland last year? what about the others?

    > Reserve Bank will not let them move IT to Australia. The Reserve Bank
    > requires sufficient local governance, management and IT capability of
    > NZ wings of Australian banks to remain in NZ so they can fully
    > function independently of anything that happens in Australia
    > especially if a bank there tanks. This is in response to Australian
    > banking laws which gives higher priority to Australian customers than
    > New Zealand customers in the case of bank failure.

    Does that apply to the ASB which is Australian owned?
    In that case perhaps I should shift my savings to Kiwibank.

    Matty F, Jul 23, 2008