Re: Hot Stuff

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Taylor, Jul 3, 2013.

  1. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day
    > celebration.
    >
    > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg
    >
    > It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was
    > fairly bright.
    >
    > After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all
    > that bad.
    >
    > But ... What do you gurus think?
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better.
    Or a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I
    can see.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jul 3, 2013

  2. David Taylor

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/3/2013 1:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day
    >> celebration.
    >>
    >> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg
    >>
    >> It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was
    >> fairly bright.
    >>
    >> After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all
    >> that bad.
    >>
    >> But ... What do you gurus think?
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley

    > It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better. Or
    > a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I can
    > see.

    I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jul 3, 2013

  3. David Taylor

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 13:07:02 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
    > On 7/3/2013 1:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:
    >
    > > On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > >> Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day

    > >> celebration.

    > >> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg

    > >> It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was

    > >> fairly bright.

    > >> After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all

    > >> that bad.

    > >> But ... What do you gurus think?

    > >> Take Care,

    > >> Dudley

    > > It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better. Or

    > > a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I can

    > > see.

    > I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

    Yes the sky looks a little to blue for a night shot, well I assume the firework display was at night. The bottom image does looks a bit burnt out and lacks colour. I couldn't find the EXIF data .

    Was wondering whethe ryou use rteh firework mode as I think that purposely sets a longer exposure than would normally be used.
    Whisky-dave, Jul 3, 2013
  4. David Taylor

    Pablo Guest

    Pablo, Jul 3, 2013
  5. On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
    > Whisky-dave wrote:
    >

    > <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>
    >

    > What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?
    >

    > --
    >

    > Pablo

    Its the new improved Google Groups.

    No idea why they made it insert extra lines
    in quoted text.
    pensive hamster, Jul 3, 2013
  6. David Taylor

    Pablo Guest

    pensive hamster wrote:

    > On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
    >> Whisky-dave wrote:
    >>

    >> <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>
    >>

    >> What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    >> Pablo
    >>

    > Its the new improved Google Groups.
    >
    > No idea why they made it insert extra lines
    > in quoted text.

    It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to
    use a proper newsreader?

    --

    Pablo

    http://www.ipernity.com/home/313627
    http://paulc.es/
    Pablo, Jul 3, 2013
  7. David Taylor

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:33:10 -0500, Dudley Hanks
    <> wrote:

    > Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    >>> I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

    >>Yes the sky looks a little to blue for a night shot, well I assume the firework display was at night. The bottom image does looks a bit burnt out and lacks colour. I couldn't find the EXIF data .
    >>
    >>Was wondering whethe ryou use rteh firework mode as I think that purposely sets a longer exposure than would normally be used.
    >>

    >I used aperture priority with no exposure compensation and the
    >Canon f/1.4 50mm lens.
    >
    >Ended up shooting close to a hundred pics using everything
    >from long manual exposures stopped down to f8 all the way to
    >some shorter, nearly wide open pics at iso 800. Most came out
    >like the one posted.
    >
    >As for timing, the event was a "family friendly" event,
    >meaning it was a bit earlier than one might expect for
    >fireworks (read dusk) so the kids could watch without having
    >to lose too much sleep. That could explain the overly blue
    >sky.
    >Thanks,
    >Dudley

    I don't do fireworks photography, but the classic set-up is supposed
    to be tripod, f/11, 4 seconds, set focus on infinity.

    Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
    over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
    replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
    because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jul 3, 2013
  8. David Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
    > > Whisky-dave wrote:
    > >

    > > <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>
    > >

    > > What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?
    > >

    > > --
    > >

    > > Pablo
    > >

    > Its the new improved Google Groups.
    >
    > No idea why they made it insert extra lines
    > in quoted text.

    Because they could?
    J. Clarke, Jul 3, 2013
  9. David Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2013070309252277923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > On 2013-07-03 08:51:56 -0700, "J. Clarke" <> said:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Its the new improved Google Groups.
    > >>
    > >> No idea why they made it insert extra lines
    > >> in quoted text.

    > > Because they could?

    > ...because they want to kill Usenet and move the World to G+.

    They're making the same mistake that Novell made--they're trying to take
    on Microsoft without keeping their emphasis on their core competency.
    J. Clarke, Jul 3, 2013
  10. David Taylor

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/3/2013 1:14 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
    > In article <2013070309252277923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    > savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
    >>
    >> On 2013-07-03 08:51:56 -0700, "J. Clarke" <> said:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Because they could?

    >> ...because they want to kill Usenet and move the World to G+.

    > They're making the same mistake that Novell made--they're trying to take
    > on Microsoft without keeping their emphasis on their core competency.

    Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jul 3, 2013
  11. David Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On 7/3/2013 1:14 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
    > > In article <2013070309252277923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    > > savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > >> ...because they want to kill Usenet and move the World to G+.

    > > They're making the same mistake that Novell made--they're trying to take
    > > on Microsoft without keeping their emphasis on their core competency.
    > >

    > Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

    No. The point is that they are muching up their search business, of
    which groups is a part, while they're trying to move the world to
    Android and their "cloud" crap.
    J. Clarke, Jul 3, 2013
  12. David Taylor

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 15:55:15 -0500, Dudley Hanks
    <> wrote:

    > Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:33:10 -0500, Dudley Hanks
    >><> wrote:

    >>>I used aperture priority with no exposure compensation and the
    >>>Canon f/1.4 50mm lens.
    >>>
    >>>Ended up shooting close to a hundred pics using everything
    >>>from long manual exposures stopped down to f8 all the way to
    >>>some shorter, nearly wide open pics at iso 800. Most came out
    >>>like the one posted.
    >>>
    >>>As for timing, the event was a "family friendly" event,
    >>>meaning it was a bit earlier than one might expect for
    >>>fireworks (read dusk) so the kids could watch without having
    >>>to lose too much sleep. That could explain the overly blue
    >>>sky.
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Dudley

    >>I don't do fireworks photography, but the classic set-up is supposed
    >>to be tripod, f/11, 4 seconds, set focus on infinity.
    >>
    >>Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
    >>over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
    >>replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
    >>because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

    >Hey, Tony, I like that black card idea .... I'll have to try
    >it next time.
    >
    >Take Care,
    >Dudley

    Some interesting compositions can be achieved since the image can
    contain several bursts in different parts of the image.

    This is a copy/paste from the web:

    Once the fireworks begin, take some initial shots. You want to
    anticipate the action. When you think a series is about to begin, put
    the black cardboard or baseball cap over your lens and trip the
    shutter. As the explosions begin, quickly pull back the cardboard and
    let the camera capture the action. I like this technique because you
    can control the cardboard faster than you can the camera. Digicams are
    notorious for shutter lag, and what you need here is pure
    responsiveness. Whoever thought that cardboard would outperform a
    sophisticated digital device?

    But wait, there's more. What if you want to create a multiple-exposure
    shot that includes many bursts of fireworks? Just set the shutter to a
    really long time, like 30 seconds, and then control the exposures with
    the cardboard.

    As the fireworks explode, move the cardboard aside. Put it back over
    the lens until the next series appears, and then remove it again. This
    way, you won't overexpose the image with the ambient light in the
    scene; you'll record only the bursts of fireworks. What you're really
    doing is creating a multiple-exposure shot. Try it; it's really fun.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jul 3, 2013
  13. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    On 03/07/2013 22:38, PeterN wrote:
    []
    > Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

    No, so I use Thunderbird. Windows Live Mail doesn't do a good enough
    job with replies and keeping to the accepted Usenet standards.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jul 4, 2013
  14. Pablo <> wrote:
    > pensive hamster wrote:
    >> On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
    >>> Whisky-dave wrote:

    >>> <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>

    <snip even more whitespace>

    >>> What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?

    <snip sig>

    >> Its the new improved Google Groups.

    >> No idea why they made it insert extra lines
    >> in quoted text.

    > It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to
    > use a proper newsreader?

    - Being too stupid to choose one.
    - Being unable to install or set up one (e.g. at work, where
    you should, well, work!)

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 4, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    [Fireworks]
    > Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
    > over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
    > replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
    > because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

    You can also simply merge several firework burst images. :)

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 4, 2013
  16. David Taylor

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:51:58 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
    > pensive hamster wrote:
    >

    > > On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:

    > >> Whisky-dave wrote:

    > >> <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>

    > >> What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?

    > >> --

    > >> Pablo

    > > Its the new improved Google Groups.

    > > No idea why they made it insert extra lines

    > > in quoted text.

    > It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to
    >
    > use a proper newsreader?

    yes, when you are supplied with a controled computer where you don;t have the neccessary permissions to install the software you want.

    I'm about to deploy something like 1,500 PCs running W8.
    They will have pretty much the same software making it easier for systems as that seems to be the proirity. They seem to be in the processor of updating their site again last time (Fe. 2013) I looked they offered a course on XP for PC users.

    So when your computer is locked down and you don;lt have administator privileges you use what you can.
    Whisky-dave, Jul 4, 2013
  17. David Taylor

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, 4 July 2013 14:35:21 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-07-04 06:14:16 -0700, Whisky-dave <> said:
    >

    > > On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:51:58 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:

    > >> It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to

    > >> use a proper newsreader?

    > > yes, when you are supplied with a controled computer where you don;t

    > > have the neccessary permissions to install the software you want.

    > > I'm about to deploy something like 1,500 PCs running W8.

    > > They will have pretty much the same software making it easier for

    > > systems as that seems to be the proirity. They seem to be in the

    > > processor of updating their site again last time (Fe. 2013) I looked

    > > they offered a course on XP for PC users.

    > > So when your computer is locked down and you don;lt have administator

    > > privileges you use what you can.

    > ...and that might be a good reason when checking NG's while at work to
    >
    > avoid the pitfalls of being caught engaging in non-work related

    Might be but generally not.
    I gave teh teh option of me leaving the lab during my tea-breaks, then they can get someone els eto supervise the labs while I'm away.
    Now considering I was working through some of lunch sending of a few orders.....
    and to collect some stuff from teh post room in my lunch hour.
    I also have emails from an academic thanking me for discovering on teh NG that some students were getting too much help in.

    > activities when your employer expects you to to be doing what they pay
    >
    > you for.

    What they pay me for is knowlegde and knowing what to buy and from where this included a camera.

    Presently I'm looking for an Arduino based robot chassis, I doubt I'd get much help here but I'm reading the electronics ones and web sites.

    The only reason I know about USENET is from private use.
    Remove that and I'm just a useless administator who only reads the advertisers websites.

    > However, you have made it clear that you use a Mac when not at
    >
    > work. Therefore, it would be reasonable to expect to find a proper
    >
    > Usenet client on your personal computer at home.

    Which would you suggest not, that I really need one with facebook and email..

    > Then you could do what
    >
    > most folks do, browse the newsgroups at home and respond on your own
    >
    > time.

    I have little use for them at 'home'

    > ...unless of course you are poaching your employer's internet access,
    >
    > and are too cheap to pay for service at home.

    I pay around £39 a month for it at home.

    I like to use whatever services at work that are availble to my level of staff and students, that's part of the job. No point me using something not availbe to others, my job is to instruct/help them.

    And while typing this I've answered 5 Qs from staff/students, handed out sticky backed copper strips.
    Perhaps one of teh reasons for odd lines appears is that sometime I leave this open as I go to do a particular job. Sometimes I'll come back in 5 minsbut sometimes it's the next day.

    It's not like reading or posting to NGS stops me working.
    Whisky-dave, Jul 4, 2013
  18. David Taylor

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/4/2013 2:33 AM, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 03/07/2013 22:38, PeterN wrote:
    > []
    >> Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

    > No, so I use Thunderbird. Windows Live Mail doesn't do a good enough
    > job with replies and keeping to the accepted Usenet standards.

    I am using Thunderbird, but it doesn't handle multi-posted messages well.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jul 4, 2013
  19. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    On 04/07/2013 17:42, PeterN wrote:
    > On 7/4/2013 2:33 AM, David Taylor wrote:
    >> On 03/07/2013 22:38, PeterN wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

    >> No, so I use Thunderbird. Windows Live Mail doesn't do a good enough
    >> job with replies and keeping to the accepted Usenet standards.

    > I am using Thunderbird, but it doesn't handle multi-posted messages well.

    Yes, I've had to set up a filter to keep [SI] messages to just one
    newsgroup. Apart from that, it's not generally been an issue, but it
    would have been nice to see an improvement.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jul 4, 2013
  20. David Taylor

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:09:07 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:

    >Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >[Fireworks]
    >> Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
    >> over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
    >> replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
    >> because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

    >You can also simply merge several firework burst images. :)

    Yes, that can be done in Photoshop (and maybe other programs) by
    bringing in additional images as new layers and changing the blend
    mode to Screen on all but the Background layer to drop out the sky.
    But, not everyone has Photoshop to work with.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jul 4, 2013