Re: Home service calls

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Rick Blythin, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Rick Blythin

    Rick Blythin Guest

    "Lee Parsons" <> wrote in message
    > Someone here was bemoaning home service calls -- the dusty dark corner
    > where the computer sits, the kitchen chair, the crowded space, etc.
    >
    > I *love* home service calls and they're my bread-and-butter.
    >
    > A local ISP provides home calls, but the customer has to pay almost
    > $50 for the trip out and then $95/hour.
    >
    > I charge no trip fee and less per hour, and I'm busy most of the time.
    > But I enjoy the service. A lot of my clients in our rural mountain
    > area are elderly folks who have one or two computers in their homes,
    > have come to computing late in life and love the information and
    > communication it gives them.
    > But they aren't techs, and when there's a problem they need a
    > little help. It's often something small, probably not worth the time
    > of your big-shop folks. Yes, it's not always the best of conditions,
    > but they have what they have and I refuse to talk down to them or
    > ignore their need for service.
    > If I need a better chair, I ask for it. If I need a drink of
    > water, I ask for it (most of the time they offer). I also ask for the
    > vacuum cleaner when approprate!
    > A lot of them want to use the computer, but have no interest in
    > learning the details of fixing it, and have come to rely on me for
    > fixing those little gremlins that come up once in awhile. I also help
    > them learn to use their machines and software. In return, I've gotten
    > to know a lot of good folks in my region, made money without raping
    > them, and enjoy a good reputation. Word of mouth has been phenominal.
    >
    > Business repairs may make you rich and be easier to work on, but don't
    > ignore the satisfaction that can come from helping neighbors and doing
    > a little teaching, too.
    >
    > Lee

    I agree with you Lee. I started up my own IT company a few months back.
    Currently I strictly do on-site calls, although it's certainly not as easy
    as having it on a bench. But I really enjoy call outs although it can be
    frustrating when you have people moaning about downtime usually my corporate
    clients who want instant fixes for cheap or free. I personally do charge a
    $20 call out fee to cover transport and travel time. But my home user rates
    are under $20/h, I usually work on fixed quotes/prices so the clients knows
    what they're paying, or if I have to revise a quote they know why so they
    know exactly up front what they're getting. Corporate clients I charge more
    but still cheaper then most places would charge for on-site.

    I've also found that's it's been a great way to get to know people and
    businesses in the community. Nearly all the time people are thankful to get
    problems resolved without shelling out the $75+/h rates most places charge
    for call out. I can understand why a lot of tech's don't like on-site calls
    as your limited to what you can carry etc. But personally I enjoy it. I've
    been in the field since I was 10 years old 14 getting on 15 years now, and
    the majority of it has been helping family, friends, neighbours.

    Rick
    --
    A+, Network+

    Rick Blythin, Jul 17, 2003