Re: Holy Crap! Daredevil on DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Black Locust, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mark B." <> wrote:

    > No, that's a choice between "Widescreen as presented in the theater" and
    > "Look stupid, you lose a good portion of the image".

    The solution to this problem is simple. The studios need to stop
    bullshitting with the "modified to fit this screen" notices they put on
    pan & scan releases and start telling the complete and honest truth. No
    more candy coated bullshit for the ignorant masses. It should read
    something like:

    "This film has been modified from it's original theatrical aspect ratio
    that the film makers shot it in. Up to 45% of the picture has been
    removed from the sides so this film can fill up your 4:3 television
    screen. To view this movie the way it was intended to be seen with 100%
    of the picture intact, please refer to the widescreen release."

    Obviously this could be fine tweaked a bit, but you get the idea. I can
    guarantee that 9 out of 10 pan & scan loving idiots would suddenly jump
    on the widescreen bandwagon and start acting like they "always prefered"
    widescreen.

    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Aug 1, 2003

  2. On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:45:32 -0700, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Mark B." <> wrote:
    >
    >> No, that's a choice between "Widescreen as presented in the theater" and
    >> "Look stupid, you lose a good portion of the image".

    >The solution to this problem is simple. The studios need to stop
    >bullshitting with the "modified to fit this screen" notices they put on
    >pan & scan releases and start telling the complete and honest truth. No
    >more candy coated bullshit for the ignorant masses. It should read
    >something like:
    >
    >"This film has been modified from it's original theatrical aspect ratio
    >that the film makers shot it in. Up to 45% of the picture has been
    >removed from the sides so this film can fill up your 4:3 television
    >screen. To view this movie the way it was intended to be seen with 100%
    >of the picture intact, please refer to the widescreen release."
    >
    >Obviously this could be fine tweaked a bit, but you get the idea. I can
    >guarantee that 9 out of 10 pan & scan loving idiots would suddenly jump
    >on the widescreen bandwagon and start acting like they "always prefered"
    >widescreen.

    I had a friend who would get upset at my wide screen copies of things.
    He had a large screen TV and wanted to fill the whole screen. I
    wanted to see the things that got clipped for the 4:3 copies like the
    Picture of Jamie Lee Curtis as Mom Banzai i in the Jet car.
    -
    John Duncan Yoyo
    John Duncan Yoyo, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Black Locust

    PeterTHX Guest

    Except that Daredevil was filmed Super35.

    I'm ALWAYS widescreen, just pointing out this particular film isn't the best
    example.

    PeterTHX, Aug 3, 2003