Re: Holy Crap! Daredevil on DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > Let me start off by saying that I was absolutely pleased at punch
    > when I walked out of the movie theater on opening day of Daredevil.

    Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
    another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:

    "An unlikable and pretentious film that probably ranks as the most
    disappointing would-be blockbuster in years."
    -- John Beifuss, COMMERCIAL APPEAL (MEMPHIS, TN)

    "One of the biggest misfires in its genre since Godzilla."
    -- Mick LaSalle, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

    "The flick misses the bull's-eye by such a length that nobody except
    hard-core fanboys and leather fetishists will be panting for the sequel
    promised at the end."
    -- Lou Lumenick, NEW YORK POST

    ""Daredevil" has a rare quality for a film based on a comic book--it's
    boring."
    -- Boo Allen, DENTON RECORD CHRONICLE (TX)

    "Simply put, Daredevil is horribly directed; the visual style ranges
    from derivative to ugly and the action sequences are often incoherent."
    -- Ethan Alter, FILM JOURNAL INTERNATIONAL

    "The dialogue is dreadful, a stale sort of hokum that wouldn't make the
    cut at Marvel Comics."
    -- John Anderson, NEWSDAY

    "There'll be plenty of ragging to go around once audiences get a dose of
    the dullest live-action comic strip on record, one that lacks even an
    interesting villain."
    -- Mike Clark, USA TODAY

    "Daredevil is nothing more than a big train wreck of a film. Too bad
    those responsible for bringing it to theaters were not on the train when
    it derailed."
    -- Josh Gilchrist, BILLINGS OUTPOST (MONTANA)

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Daredevil-1120302/
    Scot Gardner, Jul 30, 2003

  2. "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > > Let me start off by saying that I was absolutely pleased at punch
    > > when I walked out of the movie theater on opening day of Daredevil.

    > Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
    > another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:
    >
    > "An unlikable and pretentious film that probably ranks as the most
    > disappointing would-be blockbuster in years."
    > -- John Beifuss, COMMERCIAL APPEAL (MEMPHIS, TN)
    >
    > "One of the biggest misfires in its genre since Godzilla."
    > -- Mick LaSalle, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

    Well I am not going to comment on daredevil since I have not seen it, but
    HEHE, I like the slam to the Matthew Broderick Love Story err Godzilla :)
    Heck, that movie makes the campy 70's godzillas look good.

    Ratmaster2000, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Scot Gardner

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Scot Gardner, says...
    > Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
    > another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:

    Sorry Scott, but I have to respectfully disagree with the reviews you
    posted. I found the movie fairly enjoyable, more so than Blade, Hulk,
    the last two Batman movies, the last two Superman movies, or even the
    first X-men movie. I certainly enjoyed it more then the mind-mumbingly
    dull Matrix sequel.
    Mark Spatny, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Mark Spatny <> wrote:

    > Sorry Scott, but I have to respectfully disagree with the reviews you
    > posted. I found the movie fairly enjoyable, more so than Blade, Hulk,
    > the last two Batman movies, the last two Superman movies, or even the
    > first X-men movie. I certainly enjoyed it more then the mind-mumbingly
    > dull Matrix sequel.

    I agree with all your comparisons, Mark (although I'd put DD on a par
    with the first "X-Men")
    Peter Briggs, Aug 2, 2003
  5. Scot Gardner

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Mark Spatny wrote:
    > Scot Gardner, says...
    >
    >>Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
    >>another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:

    > Sorry Scott, but I have to respectfully disagree with the reviews you
    > posted.

    Yeah, it was a decent comic book movie. I'm not sorry that I bought the
    DVD (especially since it was only 10.99).

    I found the movie fairly enjoyable, more so than Blade,

    agreed

    > Hulk,

    somehow I missed this

    > the last two Batman movies,

    anything is better than the last two Batman movies

    > the last two Superman movies,

    well maybe these aren't better than the last two Batman movies but maybe
    they are

    > or even the first X-men movie.

    Well I thought the first X-men movie was better than Daredevil. I may
    have liked X1 better than X2.

    > I certainly enjoyed it more then the mind-mumbingly
    > dull Matrix sequel.

    Yes.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Aug 2, 2003
  6. Scot Gardner

    PeterTHX Guest

    "Mark Jones" <> wrote
    > I wouldn't rate it as a great movie, but it was some fairly
    > decent entertainment. I won't fit into the group you just
    > described. I enjoyed many of the movies that people love
    > to bash on this group.

    Or it's simply Affleck bashing.
    Plenty of people dis "The Sum of All Fears" but that is a pretty darn good
    film and he's not miscast as many have said.

    I also have the feeling "Gigli", while it may indeed may be a bad movie,
    isn't the horrid stinker that people say it is.
    They simply want to see J-Lo and Ben-Lo fail miserably. I don't care for him
    much either, but I don't HATE him like some seem to need.
    PeterTHX, Aug 3, 2003