Re: history help please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Stuart, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "offee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'd like someone to explain to me how I can find out exactly who was
    > using my computer at a certain time about a month ago. We use xp and I
    > am the administrator, but not a very knowledgeable one. There are
    > three other users and I need to know which kid is going to lose their
    > pocket money to pay the phone bill for an 0900 number.
    > I have checked the history button but it doesn't go back quite far
    > enough.

    Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

    Open the security log, scroll down to the date and time, and you'll find a
    Security success for a login/logoff. The user's name is recorded.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Stuart

    offee Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Stuart" wrote
    > > Open the security log, scroll down to the date and time, and you'll find a
    > > Security success for a login/logoff. The user's name is recorded.

    > Errrr, mine doesn't log this, does it have to be enabled?

    Ok I've looked at the cookies but somehow they are being deleted
    daily, (might be window washer), I've looked at the security log and
    there are no users listed, any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    Offee

    offee, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Stuart" wrote
    > > Open the security log, scroll down to the date and time, and you'll find

    > > Security success for a login/logoff. The user's name is recorded.

    > Errrr, mine doesn't log this, does it have to be enabled?

    That's strange, I don't think I did anything to enable it... maybe if you
    just look at one of the other logs at the time the call was made you might
    find an error with their username. I'm running XP Home.

    Stuart, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Stuart

    T.N.O. Guest

    "offee" wrote
    > Ok I've looked at the cookies but somehow they are being deleted
    > daily, (might be window washer), I've looked at the security log and
    > there are no users listed, any other suggestions?

    You could maybe search through all files and find out what else was modified
    on that date, although if it has been modified since you'll never know.

    Good Luck.

    T.N.O., Sep 19, 2003