Re: High school then and now

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Rôgêr Post:
    > HIGH SCHOOL - 1958 vs. 2008
    > Scenario 1:
    > Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school
    > parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
    > 1958 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his
    > car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    > 2008 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail
    > and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for
    > traumatized students and teachers..
    >

    > Scenario 2:
    > Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
    > 1958 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end
    > up buddies.
    > 2008 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny
    > and Mark. They are both charged with assault, terrorist threats and
    > both expelled even though Johnny started it and Mark was just defending
    > himself.
    >

    > Scenario 3:
    > Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
    > 1958 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling
    > by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not
    > disrupt class again.
    > 2008 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He
    > is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state
    > because Jeffrey has a disability.
    >
    > Scenario 4:
    > Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a
    > whipping with his belt.
    > 1958 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college
    > and becomes a successful businessman.
    > 2008 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to
    > foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's
    > sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to
    > prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.
    >

    > Scenario 5:
    > Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school..
    > 1958 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock..
    > 2008 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug
    > violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.
    >

    > Scenario 6:
    > Pedro fails high school English.
    > 1958 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
    > 2008 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state.. Newspaper articles appear
    > nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for
    > graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state
    > school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from
    > core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing
    > lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.
    >

    > Scenario 7:
    > Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts
    > them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
> [...]

    Sounds about right. The last time I was inside a High School
    whispering and chewing gum were the big offenses of the day. When I
    was in grade school nobody could afford chewing gum. <g>

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Nov 3, 2009