Re: Hide your email address!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Olson Johnson, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > With all the talk of spam and virus emails in here lately, one of the main

    reasons a lot of people are geting these emails is
    > because you are not hiding your email addresses from the spiders that

    check newsgroups for valid email addresses.

    > NEVER EVER put your real email address in the reply to or return email

    address field of you email program when setting up your email
    > program for newsgroups.
    >
    > Always put something like "remove.me" or "nospam.thanks" or something like

    that in between you normal email address, that way if
    > somebody wants to reply to you directly, they still can but your email

    address wont end up on a spammers list.

    > Just had a look this morning in this group under the thread "Big upsurge

    in wormy spam" more than half you guys that are complaining
    > about getting hit with all these microsoft fake worms etc, all have your

    email addresses completely visible to the spammers!!.

    > I have an email address that i have been using now for about 6 months and

    i have never received a single spam message, why?, because
    > i hide it in newsgroups and when i need to put in an email address on a

    website to download a programme, or receive a serial number
    > sent to your email address etc, i give them a hotmail address, not my

    regular isp address.

    > Thats how you stop the spam.
    >
    > Have a good day everybody. :)
    >
    > PseUDO

    You aren't gettting virus mail on that address because it isn't in any
    infected users address books
    The viruses spread by reading the Windows address books of infected hosts
    and mailing to all the entries, sometimes using the other entries as the
    fake senders.
    Apart from that, your suggestions are totally correct

    If your ISP supports aliases, its also a good idea to alias all the
    variations of your name and nicks and business names, so you can use them
    for different purposes and leave the actual main address unused.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Olson Johnson wrote:
    PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > With all the talk of spam and virus emails in here lately, one of the main

    reasons a lot of people are geting these emails is
    > because you are not hiding your email addresses from the spiders that

    check newsgroups for valid email addresses.

    > NEVER EVER put your real email address in the reply to or return email

    address field of you email program when setting up your email
    > program for newsgroups.

    Olson, your copy of Outlook Express could benefit greatly from OEQuoteFix.
    This will make a reply where the text of the original poster is actually
    readable. See how it handles this?:

    PseUDO wrote:
    > With all the talk of spam and virus emails in here lately, one of the
    > main reasons a lot of people are geting these emails is because you
    > are not hiding your email addresses from the spiders that check
    > newsgroups for valid email addresses.

    Much nicer, eh? Download from

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock