Re: Hidden Shut down Feature XP & XP Pro.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2008.

  1. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Well here is a way Press the Home key, then do a Ctrl + Enter then
    > selected with One push the right Arrow key Once, then hit Enter the
    > computer should shut down
    >
    > When using the Ctrl + Enter keys be very careful not to push the enter
    > key twice as that will put you into Stand By mode..

    Wow. Can't you just SSH in from another machine and do "shutdown -h now"?

    And they keep insisting Dimdows is so easy to use...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >> Well here is a way Press the Home key, then do a Ctrl + Enter then
    >> selected with One push the right Arrow key Once, then hit Enter the
    >> computer should shut down
    >>
    >> When using the Ctrl + Enter keys be very careful not to push the enter
    >> key twice as that will put you into Stand By mode..

    > Wow. Can't you just SSH in from another machine and do "shutdown -h now"?
    >
    > And they keep insisting Dimdows is so easy to use...

    Not when there is no network on a computer.

    I am still trying to figure out what practical use there is for a non
    networked headless computer to be operating, doing something that might
    be in the write cache so at risk of loss for just yanking the power.

    Richard, Oct 26, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:18:35 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >> Well here is a way Press the Home key, then do a Ctrl + Enter then
    >> selected with One push the right Arrow key Once, then hit Enter the
    >> computer should shut down
    >>
    >> When using the Ctrl + Enter keys be very careful not to push the enter
    >> key twice as that will put you into Stand By mode..

    > Wow. Can't you just SSH in from another machine and do "shutdown -h now"?

    I don't know I never turn it off.

    > And they keep insisting Dimdows is so easy to use...

    Maybe it is easier to use but art the same time people are getting dumber.

    -ws

    Key/English 08 - Change We Need.

    Will Spencer, Oct 29, 2008