Re: Hidden Shut down Feature XP & XP Pro.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Wilkinson, Oct 25, 2008.

  1. Hi there,

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > I needed to shut down a computer that does not have a Monitor connected and when at the Log On
    > screen..
    >
    > Well here is a way Press the Home key, then do a Ctrl + Enter then selected with One push the
    > right Arrow key Once, then hit Enter the computer should shut down
    >
    > When using the Ctrl + Enter keys be very careful not to push the enter key twice as that will put
    > you into Stand By mode..
    >
    > This mode gives you the 3 shut down buttons Stand by, Turn Off and Restart that you can select
    > with the right arrow key..
    >
    > When in Windows this can be done with Ctrl + Esc then the u key but this can be found on Google.

    I found an easier way in Vista last week - just unplug a headphone from
    the headphone socket! I was listening to some Youtube music clips of
    Andy Mckee - when I finished listening I pulled out the headphones and
    Vista decided that was a good time to shutdown...

    I gotta tell you, openSUSE simply doesn't surprise me the way that Vista
    does...

    Kind regards

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 25, 2008

  2. Chris Wilkinson

    EMB Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > I found an easier way in Vista last week - just unplug a headphone from
    > the headphone socket! I was listening to some Youtube music clips of
    > Andy Mckee - when I finished listening I pulled out the headphones and
    > Vista decided that was a good time to shutdown...
    >
    > I gotta tell you, openSUSE simply doesn't surprise me the way that Vista
    > does...

    There's summat wrong with that system Chris. Vista (for all that I hate
    it) is rock solid on the 2 systems I use with it (apart from the fucking
    IBM wireless drivers on my laptop just losing the wireless adaptor on
    occasion).
    EMB, Oct 25, 2008

  3. Hi there,

    EMB wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> I found an easier way in Vista last week - just unplug a headphone from
    >> the headphone socket! I was listening to some Youtube music clips of
    >> Andy Mckee - when I finished listening I pulled out the headphones and
    >> Vista decided that was a good time to shutdown...
    >>
    >> I gotta tell you, openSUSE simply doesn't surprise me the way that Vista
    >> does...

    > There's summat wrong with that system Chris. Vista (for all that I hate
    > it) is rock solid on the 2 systems I use with it (apart from the fucking
    > IBM wireless drivers on my laptop just losing the wireless adaptor on
    > occasion).

    It hasn't repeated the problem thankfully. The fact that it happened at
    all still amuses me however. It does seem a touchy system - yesterday I
    couldn't fullscreen Media Centre to watch TV without it running jerky.
    Meanwhile 1080p videos were fine...TV is better today but then I found
    yet another freaking annoyance. My LCD is a 5000:1 contrast LG, and
    when the screen is black the LCD backlight dims, presumably to hide
    any evident backlight bleed (there is a little, it was only a cheapy).
    I'm not sure what software is doing it, but the cutoff point of the
    'black' level required to dim the backlight was reached several times
    during watching a DivX of 'Zeitgeist', in passages where there *is*
    some faint detail in a very dark scene. On my laptop running openSUSE
    the details are clearly visible, yet on the Vista box the fade out of
    the backlight renders those faint details invisible.

    Why do you guys put up with that crap? I feel like I've been stiffed
    out of £85 just to make the box more saleable...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 25, 2008
  4. Chris Wilkinson

    Richard Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > It hasn't repeated the problem thankfully. The fact that it happened at
    > all still amuses me however. It does seem a touchy system - yesterday I
    > couldn't fullscreen Media Centre to watch TV without it running jerky.
    > Meanwhile 1080p videos were fine...TV is better today but then I found
    > yet another freaking annoyance. My LCD is a 5000:1 contrast LG, and
    > when the screen is black the LCD backlight dims, presumably to hide
    > any evident backlight bleed (there is a little, it was only a cheapy).
    > I'm not sure what software is doing it, but the cutoff point of the
    > 'black' level required to dim the backlight was reached several times
    > during watching a DivX of 'Zeitgeist', in passages where there *is*
    > some faint detail in a very dark scene. On my laptop running openSUSE
    > the details are clearly visible, yet on the Vista box the fade out of
    > the backlight renders those faint details invisible.
    >
    > Why do you guys put up with that crap? I feel like I've been stiffed
    > out of £85 just to make the box more saleable...

    You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.

    This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    matter what is playing into it, as soon as there is any white pixels on
    the screen the light comes up again. Nothing to do with the OS at all.
    Richard, Oct 26, 2008
  5. In message <ge0bs0$esr$>, Richard wrote:

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> On my laptop running openSUSE the details are clearly visible, yet on the
    >> Vista box the fade out of the backlight renders those faint details
    >> invisible.

    > You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >
    > This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    > matter what is playing into it ...

    But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 26, 2008
  6. Chris Wilkinson

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <ge0bs0$esr$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> On my laptop running openSUSE the details are clearly visible, yet on the
    >>> Vista box the fade out of the backlight renders those faint details
    >>> invisible.

    >> You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >>
    >> This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    >> matter what is playing into it ...

    > But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then
    since it has happened on every tv and monitor I have used on both PCs
    and standalone players.
    Richard, Oct 26, 2008
  7. Chris Wilkinson

    Richard Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:53:26 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then
    >> since it has happened on every tv and monitor I have used on both PCs
    >> and standalone players.

    > I am curious to know what you think is a "proper" black image?

    0 since its a computer, as opposed to 16 that is the norm for video signals.

    I have frequently seen 16 in letterboxing bars that are added by
    players, and since the video content is already scaled to the 0-255
    range that PC's use it means you will never see a uniform black across
    the entire screen that is used to determine when to dim the backlight.

    Also any of the colour enhancement controls in the nvidia/ati control
    panel may be causing the blacks to be artificially darkened more then
    the source materail allowing a true black to be output which was not
    happening with that additional processing. The default for most cards is
    to be on some sort of "vivid" colour mode which will do things like that.
    Richard, Oct 26, 2008
  8. In <ge0dvb$r03$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <ge0bs0$esr$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> On my laptop running openSUSE the details are clearly visible, yet
    >>> on the Vista box the fade out of the backlight renders those faint
    >>> details invisible.

    >> You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >>
    >> This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    >> matter what is playing into it ...

    > But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    He said openSUSE was running on his laptop, while Vista was running on
    another PC. Different hardware. I've never seen the 'feature' before,
    but if it is due purely to the monitor then installing any other OS on
    the Vista PC obviously won't make any difference.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Oct 26, 2008
  9. Chris Wilkinson

    Richard Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:53:26 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then
    >> since it has happened on every tv and monitor I have used on both PCs
    >> and standalone players.

    > I am curious to know what you think is a "proper" black image?

    Here

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=84&topicid=24343

    and here

    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=69836

    the second one has some screenshots where you can see the grey in the
    letterbox bar from the source and the black of the desktop, vs the other
    player that is correctly scaling the 16-235 video content to 0-255 for
    PC and would therefore be able to output a true black to a PC monitor.
    Richard, Oct 26, 2008
  10. Chris Wilkinson

    Richard Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    >> I have frequently seen 16 in letterboxing bars that are added by
    >> players, and since the video content is already scaled to the 0-255
    >> range that PC's use it means you will never see a uniform black across
    >> the entire screen that is used to determine when to dim the backlight.
    >>
    >> Also any of the colour enhancement controls in the nvidia/ati control
    >> panel may be causing the blacks to be artificially darkened more then
    >> the source materail allowing a true black to be output which was not
    >> happening with that additional processing. The default for most cards is
    >> to be on some sort of "vivid" colour mode which will do things like
    >> that.

    > I see.
    >
    > You're only convincing me more that any sort of "dynamic" contrast is to
    > be especially avoided if the monitor is to be used for any sort of design
    > work - or indeed anything other than plain old boring office work.

    It will never kick in for office work unless you design dark grey text
    on a black background, fullscreen with no menus or anything white.

    You could have said

    Dynamic contrast is to be avoided.

    Its just so they get bigger numbers to impress people who are shopping.
    The philips on the geekzone threads was not able to be defeated so it
    was always doing it. Real contrast is set by the panel, and since so
    many tvs use the same panels there is nothing to seperate them till you
    start to see how can dim the backlight the most for fooling the
    brightness/contrast specs.
    Richard, Oct 26, 2008
  11. In message <>, Roger Johnstone
    wrote:

    > In <ge0dvb$r03$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >>>
    >>> This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    >>> matter what is playing into it ...

    >> But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    > Different hardware.

    Same screen.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 26, 2008
  12. In message <ge0evj$t6s$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >>>
    >>> This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    >>> matter what is playing into it ...

    >> But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    > Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then...

    You blame SuSE for putting out a better image than Vista??
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 26, 2008
  13. Chris Wilkinson

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    >> Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then...

    > You blame SuSE for putting out a better image than Vista??

    Depends on that you want, if you like no blacks on a PC then not scaling
    16-235 to 0-255 will be better, some people think they have more shadow
    details that way.

    I would call something not outputting the full dynamic range that the
    interface can handle to be inferior myself.
    Richard, Oct 26, 2008
  14. Hi there,

    Richard wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> It hasn't repeated the problem thankfully. The fact that it happened at
    >> all still amuses me however. It does seem a touchy system - yesterday I
    >> couldn't fullscreen Media Centre to watch TV without it running jerky.
    >> Meanwhile 1080p videos were fine...TV is better today but then I found
    >> yet another freaking annoyance. My LCD is a 5000:1 contrast LG, and
    >> when the screen is black the LCD backlight dims, presumably to hide
    >> any evident backlight bleed (there is a little, it was only a cheapy).
    >> I'm not sure what software is doing it, but the cutoff point of the
    >> 'black' level required to dim the backlight was reached several times
    >> during watching a DivX of 'Zeitgeist', in passages where there *is*
    >> some faint detail in a very dark scene. On my laptop running openSUSE
    >> the details are clearly visible, yet on the Vista box the fade out of
    >> the backlight renders those faint details invisible.
    >>
    >> Why do you guys put up with that crap? I feel like I've been stiffed
    >> out of £85 just to make the box more saleable...

    > You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >
    > This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    > matter what is playing into it, as soon as there is any white pixels on
    > the screen the light comes up again. Nothing to do with the OS at all.

    OK then, I just attached the monitor to my laptop running openSUSE,
    switched to using the external screen, played the very same DivX,
    and you know what? The same scenes that were dimmed on Vista were
    rendered just fine on openSUSE.

    Care to explain, or is your above statement just another baseless
    assertive propagandist defence of the inadequacies of Vista?

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 26, 2008
  15. Hi there,

    Richard wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >>>
    >>> This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    >>> matter what is playing into it ...

    >> But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    > Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then
    > since it has happened on every tv and monitor I have used on both PCs
    > and standalone players.

    So you're blaming openSUSE for showing the content as the producer
    intended, by not dimming the screen? Nice argument - *not!*

    The blacks are already quite good on our LCD, so to have fine details
    in dark scenes suddenly dim to the point of near invisibility is an
    annoyance. Thankfully its not an annoyance I'll get using openSUSE.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 26, 2008
  16. Hi there,

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <ge0dvb$r03$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >>>
    >>> This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    >>> matter what is playing into it ...

    >> But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    > He said openSUSE was running on his laptop, while Vista was running on
    > another PC. Different hardware. I've never seen the 'feature' before,
    > but if it is due purely to the monitor then installing any other OS on
    > the Vista PC obviously won't make any difference.

    Its not due to the monitor, as I've now played that DivX on openSUSE
    on the same monitor - no dimming. The dimming only happens with Vista
    driving the monitor.

    Hardware is not the issue.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 26, 2008
  17. Chris Wilkinson

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <ge0bs0$esr$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> On my laptop running openSUSE the details are clearly visible, yet on the
    >>> Vista box the fade out of the backlight renders those faint details
    >>> invisible.

    >> You cant blame the bullshit dynamic contrast in your monitor on vista.
    >>
    >> This happens on every single LCD TV and monitor with that feature no
    >> matter what is playing into it ...

    > But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    SuSE Linux is probably sending unwarranted updates to the monitor. It
    must be doing *something* to waste all those cycles to make it appear so
    slow. Of my VMs by far the slowest is SuSE. It is even slower than XP.
    It takes much longer to come up than Ubuntu, slightly less than XP.
    Fastest is Debian. (If you exclude DOS6.2 which is available in
    seconds). Fedora is slow too, but not as slow as SuSE and XP.

    SuSE is not called the SLUG for no reason.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Oct 26, 2008
  18. Chris Wilkinson

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:09:55 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:

    >>> I am curious to know what you think is a "proper" black image?

    >> 0 since its a computer, as opposed to 16 that is the norm for video
    >> signals.
    >>
    >> I have frequently seen 16 in letterboxing bars that are added by
    >> players, and since the video content is already scaled to the 0-255
    >> range that PC's use it means you will never see a uniform black
    >> across the entire screen that is used to determine when to dim the
    >> backlight.
    >>
    >> Also any of the colour enhancement controls in the nvidia/ati
    >> control panel may be causing the blacks to be artificially darkened
    >> more then the source materail allowing a true black to be output
    >> which was not happening with that additional processing. The
    >> default for most cards is to be on some sort of "vivid" colour mode
    >> which will do things like that.

    > I see.
    >
    > You're only convincing me more that any sort of "dynamic" contrast is
    > to be especially avoided if the monitor is to be used for any sort of
    > design work - or indeed anything other than plain old boring office
    > work.

    SuSE is slow and that can only be because it is doing unnecessary stuff
    that other OSes do not do. I don't consider keeping a monitor alive when
    nothing is happening to be necessary stuff.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Oct 26, 2008
  19. Chris Wilkinson

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <ge0evj$t6s$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    >> Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then...

    > You blame SuSE for putting out a better image than Vista??

    I blame SuSE for keeping the screen alive longer than any other OS for
    no good reason.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Oct 26, 2008
  20. Chris Wilkinson

    Enkidu Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> But it only happened with Vista, not with SuSE Linux.

    >> Well I would blame suse for not putting out a proper black image then
    >> since it has happened on every tv and monitor I have used on both PCs
    >> and standalone players.

    > So you're blaming openSUSE for showing the content as the producer
    > intended, by not dimming the screen? Nice argument - *not!*
    >
    > The blacks are already quite good on our LCD, so to have fine details
    > in dark scenes suddenly dim to the point of near invisibility is an
    > annoyance. Thankfully its not an annoyance I'll get using openSUSE.

    SuSE is slow because it doesn't do things like allow the screen to dim.
    If you like an unresponsive OS, choose SuSE. It's not called the SLUG
    for nothing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --