Re: Hi Rush

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Mar 4, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:06:17 -0600, philo wrote:

    > not that I agree with anything he says
    >
    > but I do admit to listening to him from time to time
    >
    > Turns out Rush Limbaugh reads this group
    > and for all I know posts here using a pseudonym
    >

    > Yesterday on his program
    > he quoted one of the statements I made here
    >

    > of course he didn't mention on his program
    > that he read it here
    >
    > So...
    >
    > I guess that explains things
    >

    > (maybe)

    I know certain people in the information business read newsgroups.
    I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.

    Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted that a judge
    had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they had an actual pair of
    kids on the show.

    But then again, how do you know a thousand other people haven't said the
    same thing elsewhere?

    I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody already did it.
    richard, Mar 4, 2010

  2. richard

    pimpom Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:06:17 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> not that I agree with anything he says
    >>
    >> but I do admit to listening to him from time to time
    >>
    >> Turns out Rush Limbaugh reads this group
    >> and for all I know posts here using a pseudonym
    >>

    >> Yesterday on his program
    >> he quoted one of the statements I made here
    >>

    >> of course he didn't mention on his program
    >> that he read it here
    >>
    >> So...
    >>
    >> I guess that explains things
    >>

    >> (maybe)

    > I know certain people in the information business read
    > newsgroups.
    > I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.
    >
    > Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted
    > that a
    > judge had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they had
    > an
    > actual pair of kids on the show.
    >
    > But then again, how do you know a thousand other people haven't
    > said
    > the same thing elsewhere?
    >
    > I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody already
    > did
    > it.

    It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread and
    paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen my
    own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or all
    of the other posts in the thread.
    pimpom, Mar 4, 2010

  3. richard

    pimpom Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, "pimpom"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread
    >> and
    >> paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen
    >> my
    >> own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or
    >> all
    >> of the other posts in the thread.

    > You have a automatic copyright on your usenet posts. A simple
    > e-mail
    > to the owner of the website that's archiving those posts is
    > enough to
    > get them to stop. There's quite a few - JLA forums comes to
    > mind.
    >
    > E-mail them and tell them they're in copyright violation by if
    > they
    > continue to archive your posts. They'll stop pretty quickly.

    Thanks for the tip.
    pimpom, Mar 4, 2010
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, pimpom wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:06:17 -0600, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> not that I agree with anything he says
    >>>
    >>> but I do admit to listening to him from time to time
    >>>
    >>> Turns out Rush Limbaugh reads this group
    >>> and for all I know posts here using a pseudonym
    >>>

    >>> Yesterday on his program
    >>> he quoted one of the statements I made here
    >>>

    >>> of course he didn't mention on his program
    >>> that he read it here
    >>>
    >>> So...
    >>>
    >>> I guess that explains things
    >>>

    >>> (maybe)

    >> I know certain people in the information business read
    >> newsgroups.
    >> I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.
    >>
    >> Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted
    >> that a
    >> judge had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they had
    >> an
    >> actual pair of kids on the show.
    >>
    >> But then again, how do you know a thousand other people haven't
    >> said
    >> the same thing elsewhere?
    >>
    >> I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody already
    >> did
    >> it.

    > It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread and
    > paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen my
    > own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or all
    > of the other posts in the thread.

    You don't understand that websites can also get feeds from news servers.
    Newsguy.com also has a web based client I can use any time I want.
    There are also several software clients that a website can use to make
    groups available online through the browser.

    ever hear of groups.google.com? A browser based news client.
    richard, Mar 4, 2010
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:35:09 +0530, pimpom wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, "pimpom"
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread
    >>> and
    >>> paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen
    >>> my
    >>> own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or
    >>> all
    >>> of the other posts in the thread.

    >> You have a automatic copyright on your usenet posts. A simple
    >> e-mail
    >> to the owner of the website that's archiving those posts is
    >> enough to
    >> get them to stop. There's quite a few - JLA forums comes to
    >> mind.
    >>
    >> E-mail them and tell them they're in copyright violation by if
    >> they
    >> continue to archive your posts. They'll stop pretty quickly.

    > Thanks for the tip.

    Evan Platt knows jack shit.
    A newsgroup post appearing on a website has nothing to do with copyright.
    By posting to a worldwide newsgroup, you have already given permission for
    others to copy it. If you don't want it archived, learn to use the
    x-no-archve header.

    Now how is a website going to stop showing YOUR posts? What if fifty other
    people use that same nick and addy? They get filtered too. If you want to
    protect your truly copyrighted material, don't post it to usenet.
    richard, Mar 4, 2010
  6. richard

    pimpom Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:06:18 +0530, pimpom wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> I know certain people in the information business read
    >>> newsgroups.
    >>> I've posted a few things that got mentioned or acted upon.
    >>>
    >>> Like when "To catch a predator" was starting up, I had posted
    >>> that a
    >>> judge had ruled, "No child, no case". The next season they
    >>> had
    >>> an
    >>> actual pair of kids on the show.
    >>>
    >>> But then again, how do you know a thousand other people
    >>> haven't
    >>> said
    >>> the same thing elsewhere?
    >>>
    >>> I've had brainstorming ideas, only to find out somebody
    >>> already
    >>> did
    >>> it.

    >> It's not just that. Many websites hijack a newsgroup thread
    >> and
    >> paste it on their websites as if it was their own. I've seen
    >> my
    >> own posts splattered all over the www, usually with some or
    >> all
    >> of the other posts in the thread.

    > You don't understand that websites can also get feeds from news
    > servers.

    How do you know what I understand or don't understand? I'm not a
    newbie to Usenet or technology. I don't often post to 24hshd and
    when I do, it's not always under the same nym. I was just
    pointing out that reading a newsgroup directly is not the only
    way to know what's posted there, and gave the unintended and
    unexpected spread of my own posts as an example.

    Legal or not, copying and pasting newsgroup messages on a website
    without proper creditation or mentioning the source is unethical.
    Making clumsy attempts to make it appear that the discussion is
    taking place on the offender's own forum speaks volumes about the
    quality of the site.

    > Newsguy.com also has a web based client I can use any time I
    > want. There are also several software clients that a website
    > can use
    > to make groups available online through the browser.
    >
    > ever hear of groups.google.com? A browser based news client.

    Jeez! Do you constantly make feeble attempts to patronise others?
    Now I know why they call you RtS.

    Normally, I'm a cool guy and 99.9% of my posts to Usenet and
    forums are politely worded, even when I disagree with what was
    said. Maybe you caught me at a bad time, but you now have the
    honour of being the target of the _fourth_ flame post I've _ever_
    made to any online discussion.
    pimpom, Mar 4, 2010
  7. richard wrote:

    > I've had brainstorming ideas,

    *Anything* in your brain is a storm!!!!!1!!

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2010