Re: Hey what kind of software can do that?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sarah Houston wrote:
    > This software sounds fascinating, for tracking demographics of my web
    > page stats. Any idea what it is?

    The IP address in question belongs in this netblock:

    whois -h whois.arin.net 209.144.137.1 ...
    Savvis 209.144.0.0 - 209.144.255.255
    The Supreme Court of the U.S. 209.144.137.0 - 209.144.137.255

    .... from this screenshot of her software
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images/misc/courtvisittwo.jpg

    The significance of the information gleaned from the browser webserver
    interaction seems to be overrated by the article at worldnetdaily
    http://snipr.com/eje4u

    The article carries on as if the IP meant that one of the Supremes himself
    was reading her blog.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 25, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sarah Houston wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Sarah Houston wrote:
    >>> This software sounds fascinating, for tracking demographics of my
    >>> web page stats. Any idea what it is?

    >> The IP address in question belongs in this netblock:
    >>
    >> whois -h whois.arin.net 209.144.137.1 ...
    >> Savvis 209.144.0.0 - 209.144.255.255
    >> The Supreme Court of the U.S. 209.144.137.0 - 209.144.137.255

    >> The article carries on as if the IP meant that one of the Supremes
    >> himself was reading her blog.

    > That's what I was trying to figure, if someone could determine who
    > actually reads their site, like she claimed to.

    In this case the simple determination of the IP and its whois at arin
    showed a little /24 sub-block (256 IP addresses) of savvis which savvis
    has tons and tons of IP addresses and much much larger netblocks in
    addition to this particular /16 (65000 IP addresses) which 256 IPs belong
    to the SCOTUS.

    There wasn't any magic going on there and the information derived from the
    IP shouldn't be overrated. And/But geographic (and other) information
    derived from an IP is useful, as is a lot of other information which is
    exchanged between the browser and the webserver.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 29, 2009