Re: Hey Arlan, where are your photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Nov 24, 2008.

  1. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    CamdenRoberts wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:44:19 -0500, Stephen Bishop <> wrote:
    >
    >> But none of the above changes the fact that YOU need to post some of
    >> YOUR work before you gain even a shred of credibility.
    >>

    > You don't read anything that you reply to, do you, just like all usenet-trolls.
    > :)
    >
    > Didn't you just recently post a quote from someone that said exactly why real
    > pros don't post their marketable photography online?

    I'm calling BS. Plenty of real pros post examples of their best work
    online. For instance, Bill Bachmann (who has had over 1000 magazine
    covers in his career) posts examples of his work on his website at:

    http://billbachmann.com/

    In fact, it would be difficult to find a "real pro" who doesn't post at
    least some of their work online!

    jc

    JC Dill, Nov 24, 2008

  2. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    ErolAdams wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:20:50 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:
    >
    >> CamdenRoberts wrote:

    >>> You don't read anything that you reply to, do you, just like all usenet-trolls.
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> Didn't you just recently post a quote from someone that said exactly why real
    >>> pros don't post their marketable photography online?

    >> I'm calling BS. Plenty of real pros post examples of their best work
    >> online. For instance, Bill Bachmann (who has had over 1000 magazine
    >> covers in his career) posts examples of his work on his website at:
    >>
    >> http://billbachmann.com/
    >>
    >> In fact, it would be difficult to find a "real pro" who doesn't post at
    >> least some of their work online!
    >>
    >> jc

    > Well, that's certainly a specious argument, isn't it. Because you can't find
    > them online those that don't post online must not exist.

    You can find references to pro photographers online, referenced by
    others who hire them or buy their work (a condition of being a "pro
    photographer") even when they don't have a personal website.

    For instance, Annie Leibovitz doesn't have a personal website but you
    can find plenty of examples of her work on the Vanity Fair website.

    Any pro photographer who can't be at least *found* online isn't really a
    pro.

    > I'd hate to have to make daily decisions with that brain of yours. Run into
    > walls much?

    This brain of mine indicates I'm running into a troll so off into the
    killfile you go.

    jc

    JC Dill, Nov 24, 2008

  3. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    werner-banner wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:44:30 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:
    >
    >> For instance, Annie Leibovitz doesn't have a personal website but you
    >> can find plenty of examples of her work on the Vanity Fair website.

    > Rag published photos? Okay, if that's your idea of all "pros". :)

    That's not my idea of "all pros" - it was an example of "a pro" who
    doesn't have a personal website, but still has examples of her photos
    available online.

    Put it another way - name me a pro photographer you know or know of that
    has NO photos online. IMHO, any such "pro" is extremely unlikely to be
    a real pro photographer and much more likely to be a wanna be. There's
    a remote possibility that a real pro photographer exists who has no work
    online, but I'd want to see someone post an example case to prove it.

    jc

    JC Dill, Nov 25, 2008
  4. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    dan_carpenter wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:48:45 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:
    >
    >> werner-banner wrote:

    >>> Rag published photos? Okay, if that's your idea of all "pros". :)

    >> That's not my idea of "all pros" - it was an example of "a pro" who
    >> doesn't have a personal website, but still has examples of her photos
    >> available online.
    >>
    >> Put it another way - name me a pro photographer you know or know of that
    >> has NO photos online. IMHO, any such "pro" is extremely unlikely to be
    >> a real pro photographer and much more likely to be a wanna be. There's
    >> a remote possibility that a real pro photographer exists who has no work
    >> online, but I'd want to see someone post an example case to prove it.
    >>

    > What? You want someone else to do all the work for you to prove your own point
    > for you? You're more stupid than anyone thought.

    MY point is that pro photographers show at least SOME of their work
    online. I've given examples - both a well respected pro photographer
    who shows his work on his own website, and a photographer whose work is
    available online on a site run by her primary employer. Your claim is
    that some pro photographers don't show their work online. It's YOUR job
    to do the work to prove YOUR point. If you don't understand that then
    you are the stupid one.

    jc

    JC Dill, Nov 25, 2008
  5. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    Stephen Bishop wrote:

    > Translation of the trollspeak: "I have no talent as a photographer so
    > I compensate by spewing meaningless insults to those who do. Why
    > should I post my photos? That would just prove how hollow I really
    > am. Instead, I'll just parrot camera specifications and call
    > everyone else stupid."

    Bingo.

    To the trolls - I'm not new here. And I'm not hard to find online. I
    post using my real name, unlike the trolls.

    jc

    JC Dill, Nov 26, 2008
  6. JC Dill wrote:
    > Stephen Bishop wrote:
    >
    >> Translation of the trollspeak: "I have no talent as a photographer so
    >> I compensate by spewing meaningless insults to those who do. Why
    >> should I post my photos? That would just prove how hollow I really
    >> am. Instead, I'll just parrot camera specifications and call
    >> everyone else stupid."

    > Bingo.
    >
    > To the trolls - I'm not new here. And I'm not hard to find online. I
    > post using my real name, unlike the trolls.

    JC-

    Good to see you back. Yes, there's a nym shifting pest here, and a
    missioner by the name of Bishop who rode into town to have some fun and
    save us.

    There still are a few good Trolls left, just not here for the time
    being.... here being the three photo groups that our little "Rita" feels
    it's his domain to always cross post to.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 26, 2008
  7. Stephen Bishop wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:40:47 -0800, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> JC Dill wrote:

    >>> Bingo.
    >>>
    >>> To the trolls - I'm not new here. And I'm not hard to find online. I
    >>> post using my real name, unlike the trolls.

    >> JC-
    >>
    >> Good to see you back. Yes, there's a nym shifting pest here, and a
    >> missioner by the name of Bishop who rode into town to have some fun and
    >> save us.

    > On the contrary, John, it would appear that your mission has been to
    > save the group from those like me who actually confront the troll with
    > facts. And why single me out? I'm certainly not the only one.
    > There are many others.

    No one comes close to the amount of "refuting" the nym shifting pest as
    you do, and you're the only one that keeps on keepin' on.

    He's been so thoroughly refuted that posting anything at all in response
    to him *only* keeps him going.

    Thus, you've become almost as infamous as he.

    > And unlike the shifters, I'm not using phony names. But you are free
    > to speculate all you want.
    >

    >> There still are a few good Trolls left, just not here for the time
    >> being.... here being the three photo groups that our little "Rita" feels
    >> it's his domain to always cross post to.

    > That's interesting. Rita is a guy? Not that matters, but how do
    > you know this?

    As you say, it doesn't matter. But you knew that.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 27, 2008
  8. Stephen Bishop wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:24:26 -0800, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> On the contrary, John, it would appear that your mission has been to
    >>> save the group from those like me who actually confront the troll with
    >>> facts. And why single me out? I'm certainly not the only one.
    >>> There are many others.

    >> No one comes close to the amount of "refuting" the nym shifting pest as
    >> you do, and you're the only one that keeps on keepin' on.
    >>
    >> He's been so thoroughly refuted that posting anything at all in response
    >> to him *only* keeps him going.
    >>
    >> Thus, you've become almost as infamous as he.

    > It's clear from his long history that he isn't going away. I am not
    > the only one who refutes his points.

    Long history? He's not been here a whole lot longer than you.

    He will disappear a few days after NO ONE replies to his posts.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 28, 2008
  9. JC Dill

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:51:31 -0800, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Bishop wrote:

    >>> No one comes close to the amount of "refuting" the nym shifting pest as
    >>> you do, and you're the only one that keeps on keepin' on.
    >>>
    >>> He's been so thoroughly refuted that posting anything at all in response
    >>> to him *only* keeps him going.
    >>>
    >>> Thus, you've become almost as infamous as he.

    >> It's clear from his long history that he isn't going away. I am not
    >> the only one who refutes his points.

    >Long history? He's not been here a whole lot longer than you.
    >
    >He will disappear a few days after NO ONE replies to his posts.

    He'll continue to post his drivel anytime someone says anything
    negative about a P&S even if it's in a thread where he's had no
    involvement up to that point. It's obvious he can't help himself.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 28, 2008
  10. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    JT's Keeper wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >> Stephen Bishop wrote:

    >>> It's clear from his long history that he isn't going away. I am not
    >>> the only one who refutes his points.

    >> Long history? He's not been here a whole lot longer than you.
    >>

    > John, the P&S Guy has been here a lot longer (6 months or more anyway,
    > maybe even longer) than you think. ;-)
    >

    > - JT
    > knows that a one or two posters can't, or will not IGNORE the TROLL

    Hey, I resemble that remark!

    Yes, Vern has been around (Baumbadier/X-man/..) since early 2007, and as
    DJJohnson and others in various corel, psp and ps usenet forums since
    much earlier. He has also been posting at Steve's forums (and was
    banned) as keoeeit, and at DPreview as Dave Ingols and keoeeit before that.

    Earlier, he also hung out - if you'll pardon the pun - in many other
    'interesting' forums under that Keoeeit moniker and with the same 'tude...

    So he could well be here for the long run. Or until he finds a friend,
    perhaps.

    Mark Thomas, Nov 28, 2008
  11. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    WhoIsThat wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:18:11 +1000, Mark Thomas
    > <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote:
    >
    >> JT's Keeper wrote:

    >>> John, the P&S Guy has been here a lot longer (6 months or more anyway,
    >>> maybe even longer) than you think. ;-)
    >>>

    >>> - JT
    >>> knows that a one or two posters can't, or will not IGNORE the TROLL

    >> Hey, I resemble that remark!
    >>
    >> Yes, Vern has been around (Baumbadier/X-man/..) since early 2007, and as
    >> DJJohnson and others in various corel, psp and ps usenet forums since
    >> much earlier. He has also been posting at Steve's forums (and was
    >> banned) as keoeeit, and at DPreview as Dave Ingols and keoeeit before that.
    >>
    >> Earlier, he also hung out - if you'll pardon the pun - in many other
    >> 'interesting' forums under that Keoeeit moniker and with the same 'tude...
    >>
    >> So he could well be here for the long run. Or until he finds a friend,
    >> perhaps.

    > Weird, you hang out at those same places? What's that say about you?

    I note the lack of denial of any of the names I quoted above - one of
    the few wise things he has done, given that even Mr Magoo could follow
    his trail.

    So, which places do you mean, Keoeeit?

    It only took a click or two and less than ten seconds to discover you
    were 'Keoeeit' and 'Dave Ingols' at DPReview and Steve's Forums. Then
    another quick click and it's painfully obvious from the posting style
    and many slips, that it is the same 'Keoeeit' elsewhere.

    Do tell us the Ansel Adams story again...

    > 1) Either you have no life and stalk people online that you secretely (sic) admire, or
    > 2) you ARE that guy!

    Or.. I could just think that some folk need to be responsible for what
    they say, rather than be pretenders.

    It's over, Vern/Keoeeit.

    Mark Thomas, Nov 28, 2008
  12. Mark Thomas wrote:
    > JT's Keeper wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:

    >>> Long history? He's not been here a whole lot longer than you.
    >>>

    >> John, the P&S Guy has been here a lot longer (6 months or more anyway,
    >> maybe even longer) than you think. ;-)

    >> knows that a one or two posters can't, or will not IGNORE the TROLL

    > Hey, I resemble that remark!
    >
    > Yes, Vern has been around (Baumbadier/X-man/..) since early 2007, and as
    > DJJohnson and others in various corel, psp and ps usenet forums since
    > much earlier. He has also been posting at Steve's forums (and was
    > banned) as keoeeit, and at DPreview as Dave Ingols and keoeeit before that.
    >
    > Earlier, he also hung out - if you'll pardon the pun - in many other
    > 'interesting' forums under that Keoeeit moniker and with the same 'tude...
    >
    > So he could well be here for the long run. Or until he finds a friend,
    > perhaps.

    Yes, that's very possible. I was thinking only of the time since he
    stopped trolling and became a foaming pest, which IIRC, is just a few
    weeks. Seems longer, though!

    "Steve Bishop", though, is a new creation, doing his best to 'reveal'
    the pest. As if. What do you make of "Steve", MT, history wise?

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 28, 2008
  13. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >> ..
    >> Yes, Vern has been around (Baumbadier/X-man/..) since early 2007, and
    >> as DJJohnson and others in various corel, psp and ps usenet forums
    >> since much earlier. He has also been posting at Steve's forums (and
    >> was banned) as keoeeit, and at DPreview as Dave Ingols and keoeeit
    >> before that.
    >>
    >> Earlier, he also hung out - if you'll pardon the pun - in many other
    >> 'interesting' forums under that Keoeeit moniker and with the same
    >> 'tude...
    >>
    >> So he could well be here for the long run. Or until he finds a
    >> friend, perhaps.

    > Yes, that's very possible. I was thinking only of the time since he
    > stopped trolling and became a foaming pest, which IIRC, is just a few
    > weeks. Seems longer, though!
    >
    > "Steve Bishop", though, is a new creation, doing his best to 'reveal'
    > the pest. As if. What do you make of "Steve", MT, history wise?

    hahah - I'm getting a reputation! I only lookup the trolling loonies
    normally, and Steve hasn't really shown any signs of that.. yet.

    Even I agree that debating Vern further is probably not going to do
    anything useful. But I do agree with Steve that when the loonie posts
    to newbie threads, he should be challenged or exposed for what he is.

    FWIW, Steve's posting style isn't familiar to me - good spelling and
    grammar and a relatively sensible if prolific debater.. not many folk
    like that around here...(O: Usually with the D-Mac's, Vern's and
    Rita's, the socks stand out like the proverbial puppy nuts..

    keep up the good fight..

    mt

    Mark Thomas, Nov 28, 2008
  14. JT's Keeper wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, I resemble that remark!

    > Perhaps! But you are not exactly one of the posters that *I* was
    > thinking of when *I* replied to John. In those one or two posters that
    > *I* had thought of, neither has refuted with factual evidence anything
    > that Vern/Keoeeit has posted (i.e. his silly little P&S list).

    I'd be among those who's not posted to any of Vern's pest posts, afaik.

    Are you suggesting that those who don't vehemently refute his nonsense
    are fellow travelers, com-symps, yellow journalists, or otherwise
    failing in their civic duties to stomp on pestilence are suspect
    themselves? Joe McCarthy??
    :)

    Hope your T-Day was good.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 28, 2008
  15. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    JT's Keeper wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, I resemble that remark!
    >>

    > Perhaps! But you are not exactly one of the posters that *I* was
    > thinking of when *I* replied to John. In those one or two posters that
    > *I* had thought of, neither has refuted with factual evidence anything
    > that Vern/Keoeeit has posted (i.e. his silly little P&S list).

    Ah, I know who you mean now. Thanks. I think.

    FTR, or for anyone crazy enough to want to see a counter to
    Vern/Keoeeit's list, my refutation is here:
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/rec.photo.digital/msg/40474d28efd9a723?hl=en
    (apologies for a Google link).

    It will not be reposted, as I am not a raging loonie. (O:

    Mark Thomas, Nov 28, 2008
  16. Re: J McW.. - Re: Hey Arlan, where are your photos?

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> Mark Thomas wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes, Vern has been around (Baumbadier/X-man/..) since early 2007, and
    >>> as DJJohnson and others in various corel, psp and ps usenet forums
    >>> since much earlier. He has also been posting at Steve's forums (and
    >>> was banned) as keoeeit, and at DPreview as Dave Ingols and keoeeit
    >>> before that.
    >>>
    >>> Earlier, he also hung out - if you'll pardon the pun - in many other
    >>> 'interesting' forums under that Keoeeit moniker and with the same
    >>> 'tude...
    >>>
    >>> So he could well be here for the long run. Or until he finds a
    >>> friend, perhaps.

    >> Yes, that's very possible. I was thinking only of the time since he
    >> stopped trolling and became a foaming pest, which IIRC, is just a few
    >> weeks. Seems longer, though!
    >>
    >> "Steve Bishop", though, is a new creation, doing his best to 'reveal'
    >> the pest. As if. What do you make of "Steve", MT, history wise?

    > Follow up... John, you spiked my curiosity, it's raining again, and yes,
    > I did take a little peek around. I hope I won't embarrass him too much
    > by saying, yes, he looks the real deal to me, and *definitely* 'walks
    > the walk'..
    >
    > Excellent stuff, SB! :D Hope you stick around and join in on more
    > productive topics.
    >
    > Email me if you want more details, but I'll check with Steve first to
    > see if he minds (and verifies).

    Excellent! We need a few more good men. My E-mail is unmunged, but put
    "MT" in the Subj. line to get by the filters; I don't have your E-mail
    handy.

    I was thinking Steve Young, also in Ohio, generally polite and well
    spoken, unless goaded too much.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Nov 28, 2008
  17. JC Dill

    Ray Fischer Guest

    XL-1 <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:54:11 -0500, Stephen Bishop <> wrote:
    >

    >>It's clear from his long history that he isn't going away. I am not
    >>the only one who refutes his points. Therefore, it is useful to
    >>continue to challenge him lest some newcomer mistakenly believe that
    >>he knows what he is talking about. Maybe you think me to be infamous
    >>for doing so, but I am speaking only to him and not taunting the
    >>entire group.
    >>
    >>I the way I refute him offends you, then simply put me on your ignore
    >>list.
    >>

    >Dear Resident-Troll,

    Dear asshole.

    Spamming is almost certainly a violation of the usage terms for your
    ISP. Continuing to post spam to newsgroups is a liely way of getting
    your account yanked.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Nov 28, 2008
  18. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Ping Stephen Bishop Re: J McW.. - Re: Hey Arlan, where are your photos?

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:

    >>> Yes, that's very possible. I was thinking only of the time since he
    >>> stopped trolling and became a foaming pest, which IIRC, is just a few
    >>> weeks. Seems longer, though!
    >>>
    >>> "Steve Bishop", though, is a new creation, doing his best to 'reveal'
    >>> the pest. As if. What do you make of "Steve", MT, history wise?

    >> Follow up... John, you spiked my curiosity, it's raining again, and
    >> yes, I did take a little peek around. I hope I won't embarrass him
    >> too much by saying, yes, he looks the real deal to me, and
    >> *definitely* 'walks the walk'..
    >>
    >> Excellent stuff, SB! :D Hope you stick around and join in on more
    >> productive topics.
    >>
    >> Email me if you want more details, but I'll check with Steve first to
    >> see if he minds (and verifies).

    > Excellent! We need a few more good men. My E-mail is unmunged, but put
    > "MT" in the Subj. line to get by the filters; I don't have your E-mail
    > handy.
    >
    > I was thinking Steve Young, also in Ohio, generally polite and well
    > spoken, unless goaded too much.

    This ok with you, Stephen? Feel free to tell me to STFU (by email if
    you like).

    And just FTR and to be fair, here's some of my images on my very out of
    date, sadly neglected hobby site:

    http://www.marktphoto.com/marina/index.htm

    (ironically, those were all taken with a p&s - I'm still procrastinating
    on my dslr choice even though they have now finally met my criteria..)
    Larger versions, crops, etc available, and I'm happy to be critiqued as
    long as it involves a constructive discussion...

    Mark Thomas, Nov 28, 2008
  19. JC Dill

    dj_nme Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > JT's Keeper wrote:
    >> Mark Thomas wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey, I resemble that remark!
    >>>

    >> Perhaps! But you are not exactly one of the posters that *I* was
    >> thinking of when *I* replied to John. In those one or two posters
    >> that *I* had thought of, neither has refuted with factual evidence
    >> anything that Vern/Keoeeit has posted (i.e. his silly little P&S list).

    > Ah, I know who you mean now. Thanks. I think.
    >
    > FTR, or for anyone crazy enough to want to see a counter to
    > Vern/Keoeeit's list, my refutation is here:
    > http://groups.google.com.au/group/rec.photo.digital/msg/40474d28efd9a723?hl=en
    >
    > (apologies for a Google link).
    >
    > It will not be reposted, as I am not a raging loonie. (O:

    Something OT:
    Smileys are usually the other way around, as in :) :( ;)
    Some news-readers actually render them as little yellow "smiley badge"
    with the appropriate expression on it, even when set to "text only"
    display. :eek:

    dj_nme, Nov 28, 2008
  20. JC Dill

    Mark Thomas Guest

    dj_nme wrote:

    > Something OT:
    > Smileys are usually the other way around, as in :) :( ;)
    > Some news-readers actually render them as little yellow "smiley badge"
    > with the appropriate expression on it, even when set to "text only"
    > display. :eek:

    Yep, I know. That's why I turned mine around - the auto ones annoy me,
    irrationally. I'm such a Webel!

    So it's my secret handshake and can be used to track me - through all 2
    of my identities.

    Mark Thomas, Nov 28, 2008