Re: Hesitating between C8080 and D70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Linda_N, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. Linda_N

    Linda_N Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <HWuhd.26$>, this-is-not-my@email-
    > address.com says...
    >
    >> I agree that the size of the sensor is the problem. Without looking
    >> 'again'
    >> I do believe the Nikon 8800 has a new, 'larger' 8 megapixel sensor. Don't
    >> put that in stone though as it has been a while since I read the specs
    >> for
    >> changes made to the 8800.

    > The Nikon 8800 has a 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6mm) CCD - same size as the CCDs used
    > in the current crop of 8MP cameras. Only recently Sharp introduced a
    > 1/1.8" 8MP CCD (to my knowledge there are no cameras on the market using
    > that sensor yet).

    Ah okay, thanks. It is a new 8MP chip though (not the same as was used in
    the flop Nikon 8700 8MP). I don't know what they changed but whatever it is
    is 'supposed' to have fixed problems the 8700 had.

    > By the way, with the 8080 noise is not an issue if you shoot at ISO 50,
    > meaning that it is low enough not to disturb. At higher ISOs the 8080
    > applies keeps noise in check, by progressively applying more noise
    > reduction, at the expense of reducing the available resolution (you
    > can't have everything in life).
    > --

    I'm pretty sure that most P&S and ZLRs don't have problems with noise at
    their lowest ISO setting. The thing to look for is a P&S that can go to at
    least 200 ISO without a lot of degradation to the image quality. Some of the
    Canon models are good, like the PowerShot S## series. I've not seen too many
    P&Ss that can handle 400 ISO well.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Linda_N

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <bU4id.15$>, this-is-not-my@email-
    address.com says...

    > > The Nikon 8800 has a 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6mm) CCD - same size as the CCDs used
    > > in the current crop of 8MP cameras. Only recently Sharp introduced a
    > > 1/1.8" 8MP CCD (to my knowledge there are no cameras on the market using
    > > that sensor yet).
    > >

    > Ah okay, thanks. It is a new 8MP chip though (not the same as was used in
    > the flop Nikon 8700 8MP).

    Just curious - where did you read this ?

    > I'm pretty sure that most P&S and ZLRs don't have problems with noise at
    > their lowest ISO setting. The thing to look for is a P&S that can go to at
    > least 200 ISO without a lot of degradation to the image quality. Some of the
    > Canon models are good, like the PowerShot S## series. I've not seen too many
    > P&Ss that can handle 400 ISO well.

    There aren't. Those which seem to handle it better apply a lot of noise
    reduction which destroys the detail. If you need to shoot at ISO 400,
    you should get a DSLR.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Linda_N

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > There aren't. Those which seem to handle it better apply a lot of noise
    > reduction which destroys the detail. If you need to shoot at ISO 400,
    > you should get a DSLR.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon
    > ------------------------------

    As the owner of several large and rather expensive (for
    what they are) P&S Digitals I agree with Alfred whole-
    heartedly.

    Ive yet to use a p&s that can do a good job at ISO 400, and
    most are too noisy at ISO 200.

    Although I dont like taking an SLR to the places I go,
    experience has taught me a lesson.

    I'll have a Canon or a Nikon DSLR by spring.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Linda_N

    > In article <bU4id.15$>, this-is-not-my@email-
    > address.com says...
    >
    >> > The Nikon 8800 has a 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6mm) CCD - same size as the CCDs
    >> > used
    >> > in the current crop of 8MP cameras. Only recently Sharp introduced a
    >> > 1/1.8" 8MP CCD (to my knowledge there are no cameras on the market
    >> > using
    >> > that sensor yet).
    >> >

    >> Ah okay, thanks. It is a new 8MP chip though (not the same as was used in
    >> the flop Nikon 8700 8MP).

    > Just curious - where did you read this ?

    Most likely at Nikon. You will probably find the information about the
    changes to the sensor at http://www.dpreview.com as well if he did a preview
    of the new 8800.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Nov 4, 2004