Re: Here We Go Again

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. In article <>, Steven H <> wrote:
    >In article <>, says...
    >
    >> Where can you download this update from without having MS snoop around
    >> in your computer with windows update???.

    >gee.. one would think you were running a illegeal pirate version of
    >windows - you got the same key several thousand other people have???
    >
    >say it isnt so.

    Why can't people just care a bit about their privacy ? :)

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    TEX Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > Microsoft Warns Of New Critical Hole
    > 11/09/2003 03:22 PM
    > Reuters
    > Microsoft today warned computer users about a new critical security hole in
    > its Windows operating system that could allow an attacker to gain control
    > over a computer, delete data and install unwanted programs.
    >

    > http://xtramsn.co.nz/technology/0,,7003-2658805,00.html

    Where can you download this update from without having MS snoop around
    in your computer with windows update???.

    TEX

    TEX, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > Where can you download this update from without having MS snoop around
    > in your computer with windows update???.

    gee.. one would think you were running a illegeal pirate version of
    windows - you got the same key several thousand other people have???

    say it isnt so.

    Steven H

    Steven H, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Rider Guest

    "TEX" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Rider wrote:
    > > Microsoft Warns Of New Critical Hole
    > > 11/09/2003 03:22 PM
    > > Reuters
    > > Microsoft today warned computer users about a new critical security hole

    in
    > > its Windows operating system that could allow an attacker to gain

    control
    > > over a computer, delete data and install unwanted programs.
    > >

    > > http://xtramsn.co.nz/technology/0,,7003-2658805,00.html
    > >

    > Where can you download this update from without having MS snoop around
    > in your computer with windows update???.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5FA055AE-A1BA-4D4A-
    B424-95D32CFC8CBA&displaylang=en

    Thats for XP

    Rider, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    Steven H Guest

    In article <81T7b.535$>,
    z says...
    > In article <>, Steven H <> wrote:
    > >In article <>, says...
    > >
    > >> Where can you download this update from without having MS snoop around
    > >> in your computer with windows update???.

    > >gee.. one would think you were running a illegeal pirate version of
    > >windows - you got the same key several thousand other people have???
    > >
    > >say it isnt so.

    > Why can't people just care a bit about their privacy ? :)

    why do you have to be so blody paranoid!

    there is simply no reason why microsoft would want to invest in multi
    billion terabyte database servers that it would require to pander to
    your paranoia.

    Steven H

    Steven H, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "TEX" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Rider wrote:
    > > > Microsoft Warns Of New Critical Hole
    > > > 11/09/2003 03:22 PM
    > > > Reuters
    > > > Microsoft today warned computer users about a new critical security

    hole
    > in
    > > > its Windows operating system that could allow an attacker to gain

    > control
    > > > over a computer, delete data and install unwanted programs.
    > > >

    > > > http://xtramsn.co.nz/technology/0,,7003-2658805,00.html
    > > >

    > > Where can you download this update from without having MS snoop around
    > > in your computer with windows update???.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5FA055AE-A1BA-4D4A-
    > B424-95D32CFC8CBA&displaylang=en
    >
    > Thats for XP

    Thank you.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    TEX Guest

    TEX wrote:

    > Rider wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft Warns Of New Critical Hole
    >> 11/09/2003 03:22 PM
    >> Reuters
    >> Microsoft today warned computer users about a new critical security
    >> hole in
    >> its Windows operating system that could allow an attacker to gain control
    >> over a computer, delete data and install unwanted programs.
    >>

    >> http://xtramsn.co.nz/technology/0,,7003-2658805,00.html
    >>

    > Where can you download this update from without having MS snoop around
    > in your computer with windows update???.
    >
    > TEX

    Not worried about them snooping, just the fact they want to tell you, I
    need this patch and that patch and etc etc, when all I want is just the
    one patch.

    TEX

    TEX, Sep 11, 2003
  8. I just downloaded and installed this patch for XP. Interestingly the
    download was about 255k and completed OK. Normally I would expect the
    install phase to complete fairly quickly with such a small download but it
    took twice as long as the download, the DUN connectoid showed activity
    during the install and the disk light went off for long periods.

    I have never observed connectoid activity before during an install. Nothing
    else was running (that I could see). Makes me feel a little insecure... ;-)

    --
    Bryan Souster
    For acronyms (IIRC, TIA etc) visit www.acronymfinder.com for the meanings.

    Bryan Souster, Sep 11, 2003