RE: Helping me choose the right lens for my 30D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CoolPix, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. CoolPix

    CoolPix Guest

    First of all i would like to thank all the people that gave me advice.
    Although most sales people in hi-end store are knowledgable and honest
    they are still sales people, and make their living by it. It's great
    to be able to recieve advice from pro's and alike, that are truley
    giving advice through experience.

    Thanks as i have narrowed down my choice to the following lens, and
    any more advice would be appreciated. I would like to shoot nature,
    birds and sports events and so on. wih my 30D

    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS (Image Stabilizer) USM
    Autofocus Lens

    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Lens

    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
    I read great reviews

    Canon Telephoto EF 300mm f/4.0L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens

    I think I am leaning towards this lens as it has a good price the
    length and with a extender would seem to be a great lens for the money

    REGARDS, CoolPix
    CoolPix, Jul 22, 2007

  2. CoolPix

    dwight Guest

    "CoolPix" <> wrote in message
    > First of all i would like to thank all the people that gave me advice.
    > Although most sales people in hi-end store are knowledgable and honest
    > they are still sales people, and make their living by it. It's great
    > to be able to recieve advice from pro's and alike, that are truley
    > giving advice through experience.
    >
    > Thanks as i have narrowed down my choice to the following lens, and
    > any more advice would be appreciated. I would like to shoot nature,
    > birds and sports events and so on. wih my 30D
    >

    > Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS (Image Stabilizer) USM
    > Autofocus Lens
    >
    > Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Lens
    >
    > Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
    > I read great reviews
    >
    > Canon Telephoto EF 300mm f/4.0L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
    >
    > I think I am leaning towards this lens as it has a good price the
    > length and with a extender would seem to be a great lens for the money
    >
    > REGARDS, CoolPix

    For my Rebel XT, I bought the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and thought it was
    just wonderful. Well, sure, compared to the kit lens, it is fun to play
    with. But I was never fully satisfied with the results at the far end of the
    range.

    There's a certain cardinal in my back yard that would toy with me, and I was
    never able to get a decent shot of the little bugger.

    This month, I'm playing with the 100-400mm listed above, and that cardinal
    is dead meat. In fact, I'm discovering birds out back that I never knew were
    there!

    I feel like I'm becoming a shill for these folks, but www.rentglass.com is a
    great service that lets you try out expensive lenses before you buy them.

    This 100-400mm retails in the area of $1,300, which, until I hit the
    Powerball, is a lot of money to spend on a lens. For a low weekly rate, I've
    rented it for the month and plan on giving it a full range try-out. So far,
    very good!

    I also tried out the 70-200mm f/2.8, but was put off by the 200mm max (and
    the fact that the week I had it was solidly overcast and rainy - oh, well).

    If you're serious about the 300mm f/4, why not try it out for a week before
    plunking down all that money? Especially since there's also the 400mm f/5.6
    that you might prefer for bird shots...?

    My early results with the 100-400mm lens are available in my ongoing Real
    World Lens Test, and I'll be taking the lens up to a football training camp
    at the end of the month. These are photos taken by an amateur schlub, so (as
    I like to say) your results should be as good or better with this (or any)
    lens, but it gives a fair indication of the clarity.

    dwight
    http://www.tfrog93.com/digitals/lenses/100_400L/100_400L.htm
    dwight, Jul 22, 2007

  3. CoolPix

    CoolPix Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:34:13 -0400, "dwight" <>
    wrote:
    Thanks Dwight, not sure if i can rent a lens nearby, I did look at
    that 400mm f/5.6 with canadian money at a high, this is a great
    oppertunity for me to buy, as are money maybe worth as much as
    american green backs, are suppliers up here don't change the prices to
    reflect the increase in our currency.

    Canon Telephoto EF 300mm f/4.0L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
    is about $1,150 US and in Canada it is $1549. on sale whic is $200
    off, which means its $1,740 normally.

    CoolPix, Jul 22, 2007
  4. CoolPix

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jul 22, 11:27 am, CoolPix <> wrote:
> [...]

    > >rented it for the month and plan on giving it a full range try-out. So far,
    > >very good!

    > >I also tried out the 70-200mm f/2.8, but was put off by the 200mm max (and
    > >the fact that the week I had it was solidly overcast and rainy - oh, well).

    > >If you're serious about the 300mm f/4, why not try it out for a week before
    > >plunking down all that money? Especially since there's also the 400mm f/5.6
    > >that you might prefer for bird shots...?

    > >My early results with the 100-400mm lens are available in my ongoing Real
    > >World Lens Test, and I'll be taking the lens up to a football training camp
    > >at the end of the month. These are photos taken by an amateur schlub, so (as
    > >I like to say) your results should be as good or better with this (or any)
    > >lens, but it gives a fair indication of the clarity.

    Go with the 70-200 f4 with IS, nice little lens, used it a lot (not
    IS) when I was testing out cameras. That with a 1.4x teleconverter
    should get you started, then look at the 300, use it with the
    teleconverter too. Both will be sharper and have better resale value
    than the 70-300, no matter when.
    tomm42, Jul 23, 2007