Re: Help - WordPress

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Aug 6, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Just downloaded Wordpress, and not only does it not work,but it
    > refuses to do anything - prolly because i am so stupid.
    > After some non-obvious directory fiddling and subdirectory duplication
    > of what was in root directory, i found no EXE, so that was a big
    > disappointment.
    > Got file extension PHP to link with browser, which helped greatly.
    > Noodles around to no avail.
    > What i want to do is create what looks like a website on my hard drive
    > in an empty HD folder - which i will eventually FTP to a new URL on the
    > web.
    > So, "getting Started" looks useless as:
    > 1) NO login (why? what for?)
    > 2) No Database (why? what for?)
    > 3) What is this about PHP "support"?
    > 4) Blogs (why? what for?); i do not mess around with blogs.
    > 5) SQL (why? what for?); i do not cotton to SQL - let the pigs squeal
    > all they want, why should i feed them?

    I haven't a clue what you'd do with it.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordpress

    It runs on a web server.

    Type = Weblog software

    So apparently, it is an online editor you can run from
    a browser. And allows preparing some kind of document
    which is stored on a web server. Presumably that is what
    the SQL is for, a database to store all the elements of
    the edited creations.

    *******

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

    "PHP is a general-purpose scripting language originally designed
    for web development to produce dynamic web pages.

    PHP can be deployed on most web servers and as a standalone
    interpreter, on almost every operating system and platform free
    of charge. A competitor to Microsoft's Active Server Pages (ASP)
    server-side script engine and similar languages, PHP is installed
    on more than 20 million websites and 1 million web servers."

    So there is a standalone interpreter, but I don't know if that
    turns a single desktop into a Wordpress editor. You might still
    need a web server to be able to use it (where the editing you
    do, will be within a web browser).

    *******

    You can probably find some web page, that goes through the install steps.
    Even this one, leaves a lot to the imagination.

    http://www.washington.edu/itconnect/web/publishing/wordpress.html

    Depending on your version of Windows, if you go to Add/Remove and
    examine the "Windows Components", you may have an option to install
    and run IIS as a web server. And if you had that, maybe you could play
    around with your downloaded Wordpress package.

    You can see in this example, a web browser is used to do the work.

    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/280/install-wordpress-on-iis/

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Aug 6, 2011

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Thanks for the info.
    > I had found a number of problems other thanthe ones i cited,and added
    > to what you mention, adds up to: non-useful junk for me.
    > So i trashed the downloaded wordpress files.

    Good call :)

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 9, 2011