Re: Help with NZWireless WiFi Internet connection

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by jason.mangiafico@verizon.net, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    quoting:
    > >>Perhaps they forgot to set their end up?

    > >I managed to get a tech support person on Saturday, and they are
    > >coming to look at it on Tuesday. There are multiple problems - both
    > >the first and second IP adrresses they gave me were already in use

    and
    > >the WiFi modem is reporting "Communications quality" of no more than
    > >35%, which is apparently quite bad - normal is over 80%.

    Usually 80-100 percent means you're pretty close to the access point.
    35 would be pretty avarage. Are you sure you are close enough to get
    80 percent?

    > OK, my WiFi connection is going now. It turns out that the first two
    > IP addresses that I was given were the main problem - they were
    > already in use. Now that I have one that works, I have an Internet
    > connection. But it is losing 14% of packets on average, presumably
    > due to the 25% "Communications quality". They are working on that,
    > and hope that the replacement WiFi unit they are fitting to the

    Soames
    > Island end will fix it - the temporary unit they have there since a
    > lightning strike is not quite up to scratch.

    You can expect packet loss on wireless, mainly due to the distance
    involved and interference. Since you have 3 Mbits/s connection, and
    depending on how fast the Senao is handshaked at, say 5.5 Mbits/s or 11
    Mbits/s, the higher rate of the Senao should make up for the packet
    loss. If you would like to try and reduce the packet loss anyway, try
    reducing the "fragmentation threshold" in the Senao, and also throttle
    it back to 5.5 Mbits/s.
    , Jan 21, 2005