Re: Help with AVG Anti-virus email scanning

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. Howard M. Rensin wrote:

    > I have just installed AVG Free Ver 7.5 and it is blocking my sending web
    > pages in the body of emails.

    Were the answers you got in the other group you multi-posted to
    unsatisfactory?

    <quote>
    Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
    </quote>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 28, 2008

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Howard M. Rensin wrote:

    > I would not keep posting if I got a real response and not some smartass
    > comment. I have better things to do than keep asking the same question when
    > I get an answer and 'change email scanners' is not an answer to an AVG
    > problem.

    It is. May I summarize your problems? Abusing Outlook Express as a mail
    client and newsreader, an installed virus scanner, and then even having it
    interfere with the submission of emails, those are damn serious problems all
    resulting in thing not working as intended and being impossible to diagnose.
    Solve these problems first and then look if the issues still persist!

    Sebastian G., Apr 29, 2008

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:41:12 -0400, "Howard M. Rensin"
    <> wrote:

    >I would not keep posting if I got a real response and not some smartass
    >comment. I have better things to do than keep asking the same question when
    >I get an answer and 'change email scanners' is not an answer to an AVG
    >problem.

    Its not an AVG problem, its a dumb user problem

    HINT: why not turn off the email scanning?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 29, 2008
  4. Howard M. Rensin wrote:
    [Top-posting corrected]

    > "Jim Watt" wrote:
    >> "Howard M. Rensin" wrote:
    >>> I would not keep posting if I got a real response and not some
    >>> smartass comment. I have better things to do than keep asking the
    >>> same question when I get an answer and 'change email scanners' is
    >>> not an answer to an AVG problem.

    >> Its not an AVG problem, its a dumb user problem
    >>
    >> HINT: why not turn off the email scanning?

    > How am I supposed to scan my email, if I turn off the scanner?

    As long as you leave the resident scanner running in the background, it
    will prevent you from saving, or executing, any viruses you receive in
    an email (so long as your definitions are up to date).

    The links you were given explain why.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2008
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:19:44 -0400, "Howard M. Rensin"
    <> wrote:

    >How am I supposed to scan my email, if I turn off the scanner?

    Why do you think you need to scan your email?

    If you have AVG installed it will prevent, to the best of its
    ability and updates, any malicious stuff from running.

    You can further enhance your security by running as a user
    with limited rights.

    If you are running outlook express, dump it and replace it
    with Thunderbird which is more secure and has fewer problems.
    If you want to use newsgroups regularly get a proper news
    client, as no doubt Sebastian has mentioned OE does it badly.

    Thunderbird also warns you of things it is suspicious of, like
    phishing attempts and if you get lots of mails you do not recognise
    delete them without opening them.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 30, 2008
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Howard M. Rensin wrote:

    > How am I supposed to scan my email, if I turn off the scanner?

    Not at all?

    Sebastian G., Apr 30, 2008