Re: Help Wanted

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. In message <>, Alan Keatinge
    wrote:

    > My Son in Auckland is on Slingshot with broadband. I am in Matamata on
    > Clear with dialup. Within the last week i haven't received his
    > e-mails. Both him and I have rung Clear and Slingshot, with each
    > blaming the other.

    One obvious thing is, from your son’s location, telnet directly to port 25
    on the Clear SMTP server and see if it will accept an e-mail message
    addressed to you.

    My usual way of diagnosing this sort of problem, on servers under my
    control, is to arrange a time for the user to try sending the message, and
    see exactly what turns up in the system logs that relates to that attempt.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 17, 2010

  2. In message <>, Alan Keatinge
    wrote:

    > ... but would you mind telling me what my son does to telnet directly to
    > port 25 on Clears server? We are no experts with the computer.

    Hmm, I don’t think what I was going to suggest will work. The DNS tells me
    that the mail server for your e-mail address is mx.clear.net.nz. However,
    when I try telnetting to port 25 on that machine, it throws me off with “554
    mxin3-orange.clear.net.nzâ€. So I think it’s set up not to accept connections
    from ordinary ISP customer addresses.

    This is something where somebody at one or both ISPs really needs to be
    sitting watching the logs at the time you’re trying to send the message.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 18, 2010