Re: HELP! Thunderbird 1.0.6 ... Inbox is empty

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Z, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Z

    Z Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Z wrote:
    >
    >> Something happened ... I don't know what but my TB mail Inbox is
    >> completely empty. It was fine last night, this morning it's empty. No
    >> reboots, crashes, TB was not shut down, etc since last night. As far
    >> as I know nothing unusual happened last night (aside from My other
    >> folders appear intact (they have messages).
    >>
    >> In my profile\Mail\<server> folder I have inbox.sbd (a folder, which
    >> is empty), inbox and inbox.msf.
    >>
    >> I can see a mail in inbox.
    >>
    >> How do I recover from this?
    >>
    >> How did this happen?

    > The plot thickens ... right clicking on the Mail acct in the left had TB
    > pane and selecting Search Messages ..., a search will locate mail in the
    > Inbox (criteria : sender contains ...) but not display any of it.

    <panic over>

    I Googled and came across the .msf issue, shut down TB, renamed the
    inbox.msf file, restarted TB and my Inbox is there now.

    This is a horrible bug.
    Z, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Z wrote:
    > Z wrote:
    >> Z wrote:
    >>
    >>> Something happened ... I don't know what but my TB mail Inbox is
    >>> completely empty. It was fine last night, this morning it's empty. No
    >>> reboots, crashes, TB was not shut down, etc since last night. As far
    >>> as I know nothing unusual happened last night (aside from My other
    >>> folders appear intact (they have messages).
    >>>
    >>> In my profile\Mail\<server> folder I have inbox.sbd (a folder, which
    >>> is empty), inbox and inbox.msf.
    >>>
    >>> I can see a mail in inbox.
    >>>
    >>> How do I recover from this?
    >>>
    >>> How did this happen?

    >> The plot thickens ... right clicking on the Mail acct in the left had
    >> TB pane and selecting Search Messages ..., a search will locate mail
    >> in the Inbox (criteria : sender contains ...) but not display any of it.

    > <panic over>
    >
    > I Googled and came across the .msf issue, shut down TB, renamed the
    > inbox.msf file, restarted TB and my Inbox is there now.
    >
    > This is a horrible bug.

    Not really. The msf files are summary files that index your mail for
    display purposes. They take a real beating and sometimes do get
    corrupted. One of the first things to try when you have a problem is to
    delete the msf file associated with the problem folder. TB will rebuild
    a new one when you restart TB.

    While this may seem a pain, it doesn't happen often, and the msf file is
    actually saving wear and tear on your actual mail file.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Z

    Z Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> This is a horrible bug.

    > Not really. The msf files are summary files that index your mail for
    > display purposes. They take a real beating and sometimes do get
    > corrupted. One of the first things to try when you have a problem is to
    > delete the msf file associated with the problem folder. TB will rebuild
    > a new one when you restart TB.
    >
    > While this may seem a pain, it doesn't happen often, and the msf file is
    > actually saving wear and tear on your actual mail file.

    Sure, not horrible to YOU, but wake up one morning and find all your
    e-mail gone and your tune might change ... at least until you get the
    e-mail back and you can breathe easy.

    Now I'm wondering if I should delete all my .msfs regularly. How can I
    be sure other .msfs are not corrupted in some subtle way?
    Z, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Z

    gwtc Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>> This is a horrible bug.

    >> Not really. The msf files are summary files that index your mail for
    >> display purposes. They take a real beating and sometimes do get
    >> corrupted. One of the first things to try when you have a problem is
    >> to delete the msf file associated with the problem folder. TB will
    >> rebuild a new one when you restart TB.
    >>
    >> While this may seem a pain, it doesn't happen often, and the msf file
    >> is actually saving wear and tear on your actual mail file.

    > Sure, not horrible to YOU, but wake up one morning and find all your
    > e-mail gone and your tune might change ... at least until you get the
    > e-mail back and you can breathe easy.
    >
    > Now I'm wondering if I should delete all my .msfs regularly. How can I
    > be sure other .msfs are not corrupted in some subtle way?

    Oh Good God Miss Molly, stop making it worse than it needs to be. You
    now know how to handle the problem. The next time you have a problem
    with your mail, delete the msf files. Do it regularly -- hell no!
    I've used the same msf files for a very, very long time. I might run
    into a tiny little problem with one mail folder, so I remove the
    offending msf file, and move on. Do just that. Move on. Enjoy your
    email experience and don't worry about little thinks like that. If
    the problem occurs again, you know what to do. You may go for months
    without a problem. You don't have to have a panic attack and think
    the whole world is coming to an end.
    gwtc, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Z

    Z Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > The next time you have a problem with your mail, delete the msf
    > files. Do it regularly -- hell no! I've used the same msf files for
    > a very, very long time. I might run into a tiny little problem with
    > one mail folder, so I remove the offending msf file, and move on.

    How can I tell if an .msf is corrupted? Will corruption always result
    in all mail in the folder disappearing from view?
    Z, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Z

    gwtc Guest

    Z wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> The next time you have a problem with your mail, delete the msf
    >> files. Do it regularly -- hell no! I've used the same msf files for
    >> a very, very long time. I might run into a tiny little problem with
    >> one mail folder, so I remove the offending msf file, and move on.

    > How can I tell if an .msf is corrupted? Will corruption always result
    > in all mail in the folder disappearing from view?

    you'll know. When strange things happen to your mail. It says you
    have 10 unread messages, but you really have 20. You have 6 unread
    messages when you really have zero. Messages are not appearing. You
    create a folder and it says you already have a folder by that name,
    but there it nothing showing up. Things like that.

    When something strange is happening with your mail, then chances are
    its *a* msf file buggering things up. Not all the msf files, just
    maybe its just one. So, now you know what to look for, so just delete
    it and things should be back to normal.
    gwtc, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Z wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> This is a horrible bug.

    >> Not really. The msf files are summary files that index your mail for
    >> display purposes. They take a real beating and sometimes do get
    >> corrupted. One of the first things to try when you have a problem is
    >> to delete the msf file associated with the problem folder. TB will
    >> rebuild a new one when you restart TB.
    >>
    >> While this may seem a pain, it doesn't happen often, and the msf file
    >> is actually saving wear and tear on your actual mail file.

    > Sure, not horrible to YOU, but wake up one morning and find all your
    > e-mail gone and your tune might change ... at least until you get the
    > e-mail back and you can breathe easy.
    >
    > Now I'm wondering if I should delete all my .msfs regularly. How can I
    > be sure other .msfs are not corrupted in some subtle way?

    Are you sure it wasn't something as simple as a view setting hiding the
    mail? Deleting the msf would change that back for you.

    Relax, it does not happen frequently. If it does start to happen to you
    a lot, it is probably a symptom that something else more severe is wrong
    with your profile. Don't worry about it unless it happens again in the
    next year.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Z

    Z Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    >> How can I tell if an .msf is corrupted? Will corruption always result
    >> in all mail in the folder disappearing from view?

    > you'll know. When strange things happen to your mail. It says you have
    > 10 unread messages, but you really have 20. You have 6 unread messages
    > when you really have zero. Messages are not appearing. You create a
    > folder and it says you already have a folder by that name, but there it
    > nothing showing up. Things like that.

    If that's the case, then I could have bad .msfs right now; I have no
    idea how many e-mails should be in various folders. I might even be
    completely missing a subfolder and wouldn't know until I go digging for it.

    I know this is not a big deal for you, but for some of us our e-mail is
    critical. So, I guess I'll periodically delete them all and let TB
    rebuild them.

    And maybe start saving my backups for longer than 4 weeks.
    Z, Nov 4, 2005
  9. Z

    Clay Guest

    Z wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>> How can I tell if an .msf is corrupted? Will corruption always
    >>> result in all mail in the folder disappearing from view?

    >> you'll know. When strange things happen to your mail. It says you
    >> have 10 unread messages, but you really have 20. You have 6 unread
    >> messages when you really have zero. Messages are not appearing. You
    >> create a folder and it says you already have a folder by that name,
    >> but there it nothing showing up. Things like that.

    > If that's the case, then I could have bad .msfs right now; I have no
    > idea how many e-mails should be in various folders. I might even be
    > completely missing a subfolder and wouldn't know until I go digging for it.
    >
    > I know this is not a big deal for you, but for some of us our e-mail is
    > critical. So, I guess I'll periodically delete them all and let TB
    > rebuild them.
    >
    > And maybe start saving my backups for longer than 4 weeks.

    Sometimes simply compacting the folder(s) corrects these issues. Might
    try that first before going off deleting stuff.
    Clay, Nov 4, 2005
  10. Z

    gravis

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    You guys just made my day, renamed my inbox.msf and got all my mails back..whew!!.. thanks for your posts, was flumuxed
    gravis, Jul 30, 2010