Re: Help! PopUps with No Browser running!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Chuck, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:14:30 GMT, Jeff N. Cantwell
    <> wrote:

    >Help!
    >
    >My buddy here at the office has something on his machine that we can't
    >get rid of.
    >
    >We've run a virus scan and spy-bot on it, but these damn popups keep
    >popping up. Even when he doesn't have a browser window open.
    >
    >We've looked at installed programs, and services, but can't figure out
    >what's causing it.
    >
    >SpyBot cleaned up a bunch of stuff, but didn't take care of this
    >problem. We're running Win2000Pro here, so any suggestions would be
    >greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >JC

    If AdAware and Spybot don't do it, the next step is HijackThis. HT
    looks for crapware in a different way, one which unfortunately
    generates false positives so you are advised to post the output from
    HT for the experts to review, before you actually remove anything.

    Start with this article:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=5187&s=8264d73a132fc71f236d3436af123243

    Chuck Croll

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
    Trusted Computing? Right! http://www.againsttcpa.com/
    WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

    Chuck, Jul 3, 2003