Re: Help! PopUps with No Browser running!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by S.Heenan, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. S.Heenan

    S.Heenan Guest

    Jeff N. Cantwell wrote:
    > Help!
    >
    > My buddy here at the office has something on his machine that we can't
    > get rid of.
    >
    > We've run a virus scan and spy-bot on it, but these damn popups keep
    > popping up. Even when he doesn't have a browser window open.
    >
    > We've looked at installed programs, and services, but can't figure out
    > what's causing it.
    >
    > SpyBot cleaned up a bunch of stuff, but didn't take care of this
    > problem. We're running Win2000Pro here, so any suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > JC

    Did you update Spybot before you ran it ? Even version1.2, the newest,
    requires the update. Anything under the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run that
    shouldn't be there ?
    Is he running Kazaa or something similar ?
    --
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
    you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man. -Samuel

    S.Heenan, Jul 3, 2003