Re: Help! PopUps with No Browser running!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Harri Mellin, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Harri Mellin

    Harri Mellin Guest

    In article <>,
    Jeff N. Cantwell <> wrote:

    > Help!
    >
    > My buddy here at the office has something on his machine that we can't
    > get rid of.
    >
    > We've run a virus scan and spy-bot on it, but these damn popups keep
    > popping up. Even when he doesn't have a browser window open.
    >
    > We've looked at installed programs, and services, but can't figure out
    > what's causing it.
    >
    > SpyBot cleaned up a bunch of stuff, but didn't take care of this
    > problem. We're running Win2000Pro here, so any suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > JC

    close port 139 (i think it was that port)

    Swedish Webcams <http://zap.to/webcams>

    Harri Mellin, Jul 2, 2003

  2. ???
    We're behind firewalls, and well protected from the net. Plus our
    network addresses change every time we boot up.

    --
    Jeff N. Cantwell
    Contract Programmer

    NRA Life, Member ARPA, Libertarian
    [www.ARPA-Online.org]
    ARPA Director at Large
    NRA EVC - 2nd District
    Libertarian District 2 Chair

    Jeff N. Cantwell, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Jeff N. Cantwell rambled on about something in
    <>:

    > ???
    > We're behind firewalls, and well protected from the net. Plus our
    > network addresses change every time we boot up.

    I suggest running something like Spybot or Ad Aware. Make sure
    they're updated before you scan, though, so you can catch the most
    'baddies'.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jul 3, 2003