Re: Help Please w/HD Replacement

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Professor, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Professor

    Professor Guest

    To put in a bigger hdd you can get the size you want provided the bios can
    handle that size but if you get an hdd install disk with the hdd you buy
    then it can probably get the bios to see the full disk size. If you want to
    keep your operating system onthe old hdd then set the new one as a slave by
    changing the jumpers according to the directions that are on the drive for
    making it a slave, then put the drive in a free bay and hook up the power
    and the ribbon connector to the drive make sure the red or blue edge
    markings are on the same side as the power connector which is usually
    corresponding to the number one pin which is what the red or blue edge color
    is denoting. It will be on the same side as the other drive. To do all this
    you will only need to open the case and make sure the power is disconnected
    from the computer so no accidents will happen like the computer coming on
    when you are installing the drive. Be carefull seating the connector so you
    don't bend any of the pins. Don touch any of the cards or the motherboard.
    Make sure the drive is screwed tightly into the bay. This will require a
    phillips screwdrive and the screws should be provided along with the hdd.
    Keeping the old drive will allow you to not have to install the operating
    system over again but if you want the new drive as the one with the
    operating system you will have to make it the master and install the
    operating system, making the old one the slave so you can get your files
    from it. After the drive is installed boot up and if it isn't automatically
    detected you will have to go into the bios and detect it there.
    "Carol" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for. I have a Compaq PC, a
    > little over 2 years old. It currently has an 8.4 GB 5400 rpm SMART III

    Ultra

    Professor, Apr 2, 2004