Re: Help please!!! I just can't choose a new camera...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Frank ess, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

    "lol" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > I never thought it would be so difficult to choose a digital cam.

    <snip>

    Once you have accumulated a reservoir of pertinent information (via
    trustworthy review sites such as steve's and dp) if the decision still seems
    impossible, it may be because you have a streak of realism buried in your
    unconscious.

    The truth is, you will not be *completely* happy with any choice you make,
    and you know it at some level. That inhibits the decision process until you
    raise it to a conscious level.

    As someone else said, every camera makes great photos, sometimes. All the
    positive things you know about each contributes to that. What you need to
    think about is, "Which of the disappointments will be least bothersome to my
    style of viewing the world through a lens?"

    Will you be most comfortable knowing: you spent too much but get excellent
    sharpness that you don't really need? Spent a little too little, get plenty
    of adjustment features but too few MPixels for your purposes? Traded off
    zoom range for fast lens speed you never use? Picked that long zoom but it
    greys out when you need it most?

    The real choice is not which is best, but which is least worst when inserted
    into your own constellation of traits and uses.

    Think about it.

    Frank ess

    PS: Unfortunately, you almost never get a chance to answer those questions
    before buying something. Such is life.

    Frank ess, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Frank ess

    GCW Guest

    On 8/20/03 9:10 AM, in article 24N0b.4107$,
    "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    > The real choice is not which is best, but which is least worst when inserted
    > into your own constellation of traits and uses.

    Excellent post, Frank. Wish I'd applied those insights when I chose my
    ex-wife! <g>

    GCW

    GCW, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Frank ess

    lol Guest

    Well, thanks for the answers. I guess that in the end, all I really needed
    was confirmation that reviews from steve or dp were trustworthy enough.
    Since photo quality isn't reported as an issue in those reviews, I'm going
    to try the Canon A70.

    A special thank you for Franck. You are completely right (trully!), and
    your answer has been an opportunity for a good laught, which I really
    appreciated :)

    lol, Aug 21, 2003