Re: HELP : PC turn itself on !!??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Guest, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    You seem to have tried all the right things. Every time I have seen this,
    it turned out to be wake-on-lan or some other power setting in the BIOS.
    Try turning off all power management and see what happens. What was the
    upgrade that was done?

    Guest, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Guest

    John7 Guest

    Thx for responding.

    Turned all Wake Up on Modem / LAN / RealTimeClock off but at no avail.
    Upgrade parts are marked * in the list.

    I unplugged mouse and keyboard but system still powered up by itself.

    When shutting down from:
    - Windows using Start Menu - Shut Down
    - Windows touching the Soft Power Front Switch
    system ALWAYS powers up again.

    When shutting down from:
    - Bios - Q-flash - F10 or
    - F8-bootmenu then holding front soft power switch 4 sec.
    system NEVER powers up again.

    I tried Win98SE Shutdown Supplement but at no avail.
    So Windows has something to do with it, but what?

    John7

    John7, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Will it shut down from safe mode?

    What version drivers are you using for the Promise RAID?

    Guest, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Guest

    Thor Guest

    Do you have any USB devices attached? I've seen this happen with some USB
    devices and having USB legacy support enabled in the BIOS. Also consider a
    BIOS update.

    Thor, Jul 6, 2003
  5. Guest

    Buck2000

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Hi,
    I realise this problem was posted ages ago but if anyone is wondering by and has the problem; try this - it worked for me.
    I had the same issue. I would turn on the power at the socket(on my IBM Netvista) and woompf - the PC would start without me touching the power on button. "Thanks, but no thanks".
    So I went in to the BIOS (don't want to be a patronising g*t but pressed F2 at startup - sorry if you knew that. In the BIOS I went Power and Change the "Wake From LAN" to Disabled - Save the settings - and everything was fine. Hope this works for you; it worked spot on for me - at restart, shut down, turn on the PC and all others. My thinking is - and I do not know this - the PC hasn't been build correctly (my PC is a rebuild too, before I get a libel claim from IBM!) Hope this works for you guys

    PS - No loss of data either
    Buck2000, Apr 25, 2010