Re: Help Nikon D200 and Garmin 76C

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patrick, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    On 2006-11-25 18:32:29 +0000, SeaDragon <> said:

    > I'm having trouble getting my Garmin 76C and Nikon D200 to work together.
    >
    > I have the Nikon MC-35 adapter cable which I have connected to a Garmin
    > power/data combo cable but the GPS is not recognized by the camera.
    >
    > What I know:
    >
    > The camera recognizes a Megellan SporTrak and records the position in
    > the photo fine.
    >
    > The Garmin cable works in a serial connection to a PC using GPS Utility
    > software.
    >
    > Firmware D200 2.00 both A and B
    > 76C 4.10
    >
    > Has anyone been able to get these two to work together?

    I jut found this thread via google groups, did you ever get your Garmin
    to work with the D200? I have been having the same problem but with a
    Garmin eTrex. The MC35 has been tested by Nikon, I have tried two other
    D200s and a D2x which also don't work. This leads me to the conclusion
    that there is something about the eTrex that is not quite right.

    --
    Patrick pat102345 at aim dot com

    Patrick, Dec 6, 2006

  2. Patrick

    nospam Guest

    In article <2006120615482316807-pat102345@aimcom>, Patrick
    <> wrote:

    > I jut found this thread via google groups, did you ever get your Garmin
    > to work with the D200? I have been having the same problem but with a
    > Garmin eTrex. The MC35 has been tested by Nikon, I have tried two other
    > D200s and a D2x which also don't work. This leads me to the conclusion
    > that there is something about the eTrex that is not quite right.

    be sure the etrex is set to the nmea protocol.

    nospam, Dec 6, 2006

  3. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    On 2006-12-06 15:59:22 +0000, nospam <> said:

    > In article <2006120615482316807-pat102345@aimcom>, Patrick
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I jut found this thread via google groups, did you ever get your Garmin
    >> to work with the D200? I have been having the same problem but with a
    >> Garmin eTrex. The MC35 has been tested by Nikon, I have tried two other
    >> D200s and a D2x which also don't work. This leads me to the conclusion
    >> that there is something about the eTrex that is not quite right.

    > be sure the etrex is set to the nmea protocol.

    Yep, done that

    --
    Patrick pat102345 at aim dot com

    Patrick, Dec 6, 2006
  4. Patrick

    Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > On 2006-11-25 18:32:29 +0000, SeaDragon <> said:
    >
    > > I'm having trouble getting my Garmin 76C and Nikon D200 to work together.
    > >
    > > I have the Nikon MC-35 adapter cable which I have connected to a Garmin
    > > power/data combo cable but the GPS is not recognized by the camera.
    > >
    > > What I know:
    > >
    > > The camera recognizes a Megellan SporTrak and records the position in
    > > the photo fine.
    > >
    > > The Garmin cable works in a serial connection to a PC using GPS Utility
    > > software.
    > >
    > > Firmware D200 2.00 both A and B
    > > 76C 4.10
    > >
    > > Has anyone been able to get these two to work together?

    > I jut found this thread via google groups, did you ever get your Garmin
    > to work with the D200? I have been having the same problem but with a
    > Garmin eTrex. The MC35 has been tested by Nikon, I have tried two other
    > D200s and a D2x which also don't work. This leads me to the conclusion
    > that there is something about the eTrex that is not quite right.
    >

    > --
    > Patrick pat102345 at aim dot com

    We have a monochrome 76 and it works. You must have locks in the GPS
    before Nikon can accept it. (GPS symbol flashing without lock, solid if

    lock acquired) In fact if the GPS symbol is flashing it indicates that
    the connection between the camera and GPS is valid.

    I have no doubt all all Garmin GPS will work. Though we still have yet
    to test some of the GPS (Garmin/Magellan/Lowrance) we have.
    Nikon Do not put them as compatible only because they have not tested
    many GPS.

    We are in the process of making these GPS cables for connecting Nikon
    D2x/D2xs/D2Hs/D200:
    http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

    , Dec 7, 2006
  5. Patrick

    Guest

    PS connection solutions for Nikon DSLR D2X/D2Xs/D2Hs/D200 has just
    started production of a vareity of connectors that replace the Nikon
    MC-35 that interface with a variety of GPS units.

    http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

    For $73 I orded a cable for my Nikon D200 to Geko 201. Built in
    interface and connections. Price included extra cable release and
    postage.

    Give it a look. The Garmin 76C unit has been tested and has a cable
    (GRGND).

    Ed Oest

    Patrick wrote:
    > On 2006-11-25 18:32:29 +0000, SeaDragon <> said:
    >
    > > I'm having trouble getting my Garmin 76C and Nikon D200 to work together.
    > >
    > > I have the Nikon MC-35 adapter cable which I have connected to a Garmin
    > > power/data combo cable but the GPS is not recognized by the camera.
    > >
    > > What I know:
    > >
    > > The camera recognizes a Megellan SporTrak and records the position in
    > > the photo fine.
    > >
    > > The Garmin cable works in a serial connection to a PC using GPS Utility
    > > software.
    > >
    > > Firmware D200 2.00 both A and B
    > > 76C 4.10
    > >
    > > Has anyone been able to get these two to work together?

    > I jut found this thread via google groups, did you ever get your Garmin
    > to work with the D200? I have been having the same problem but with a
    > Garmin eTrex. The MC35 has been tested by Nikon, I have tried two other
    > D200s and a D2x which also don't work. This leads me to the conclusion
    > that there is something about the eTrex that is not quite right.
    >

    > --
    > Patrick pat102345 at aim dot com

    , Jan 12, 2007
  6. Patrick

    SeaDragon Guest

    Patrick <> wrote in

    I never had any sucess getting the Garmin 76C to work with the D200/MC-
    35. I ended up buying a GlobalSat Waterproof Serial GPS Receiver BR-355
    and wireing it to a DB-9 connector so it would plug into the MC-35. I
    also modified the MC-35 so the the GPS is powered by the camera when the
    camera is on. I integrated the GlobalSat BR-355 into my neck strap using
    some tubular-elastic bandaging material. The BR-355 has a high
    sensitivity reciever, is fast and I have been very pleased with the
    result.

    About the etrex...I tried a borrowed Garmin Etrex Legend® with the
    D200/MC-35 and it worked for me.

    SeaDragon, Feb 17, 2008
  7. Patrick

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:53:48 GMT, SeaDragon <> wrote:

    >Patrick <> wrote in
    >
    >I never had any sucess getting the Garmin 76C to work with the D200/MC-
    >35. I ended up buying a GlobalSat Waterproof Serial GPS Receiver BR-355
    >and wireing it to a DB-9 connector so it would plug into the MC-35. I
    >also modified the MC-35 so the the GPS is powered by the camera when the
    >camera is on. I integrated the GlobalSat BR-355 into my neck strap using
    >some tubular-elastic bandaging material. The BR-355 has a high
    >sensitivity reciever, is fast and I have been very pleased with the
    >result.
    >
    >About the etrex...I tried a borrowed Garmin Etrex Legend® with the
    >D200/MC-35 and it worked for me.

    I have an eTrex Legend I was thinking of using with the D200. But
    what I'd *really* like to get is a tiny bluetooth to serial converter.
    One that could be built onto the end of the connector just look like a
    little stub sticking out of the camera. Then I'd use my bluetooth GPS
    to broadcast to it. I think that'd be much cleaner than having a GPS
    unit mounted to the camera or a long cable going to one.

    I got this one:
    http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=340

    on eBay and it really works great even just sitting in my pocket. I
    use it to supply my cellphone with location so things like blackberry
    maps or google maps on the phone knows where I am. But if I could use
    it with the camera, that'd be great.

    I've seen plenty of bluetooth to USB adapters that would be perfect
    since they're so small. If I could find a RS-232 adapter that's as
    small as those USB ones, I'd take it apart and build it onto the
    camera connector.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 17, 2008
  8. Patrick

    Malcolm Hoar Guest

    In article <>, Steve <> wrote:

    >I have an eTrex Legend I was thinking of using with the D200. But
    >what I'd *really* like to get is a tiny bluetooth to serial converter.
    >One that could be built onto the end of the connector just look like a
    >little stub sticking out of the camera.

    Like this?

    http://www.foolography.com/unleashedxmas.php

    | Gary Player. |
    | http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

    Malcolm Hoar, Feb 17, 2008
  9. Patrick

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:29:58 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an eTrex Legend I was thinking of using with the D200. But
    >>what I'd *really* like to get is a tiny bluetooth to serial converter.
    >>One that could be built onto the end of the connector just look like a
    >>little stub sticking out of the camera.

    >Like this?
    >
    >http://www.foolography.com/unleashedxmas.php

    Wow, that looks perfect. I wish it wasn't $200 though. I was looking
    for something I could DIY. But that might do if I can justify the
    funds. The tiny bluetooth-USB adapters are only like $10 on ebay and
    a USB-serial is about the same. Combine them with a non-OEM MC-35 and
    the same thing could be made for less than half the price. But thanks
    for the link. I like it.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 17, 2008
  10. Patrick

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:19:07 GMT, Steve <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:29:58 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Steve <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an eTrex Legend I was thinking of using with the D200. But
    >>>what I'd *really* like to get is a tiny bluetooth to serial converter.
    >>>One that could be built onto the end of the connector just look like a
    >>>little stub sticking out of the camera.

    >>Like this?
    >>
    >>http://www.foolography.com/unleashedxmas.php

    >Wow, that looks perfect. I wish it wasn't $200 though. I was looking
    >for something I could DIY. But that might do if I can justify the
    >funds. The tiny bluetooth-USB adapters are only like $10 on ebay and
    >a USB-serial is about the same. Combine them with a non-OEM MC-35 and
    >the same thing could be made for less than half the price. But thanks
    >for the link. I like it.

    Oops, that's 200 Euros, which is like $300. That really puts it
    beyond the realm of possibilities.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 17, 2008
  11. Patrick

    Malcolm Hoar Guest

    In article <>, Steve <> wrote:

    >>Wow, that looks perfect. I wish it wasn't $200 though. I was looking
    >>for something I could DIY. But that might do if I can justify the
    >>funds. The tiny bluetooth-USB adapters are only like $10 on ebay and
    >>a USB-serial is about the same. Combine them with a non-OEM MC-35 and
    >>the same thing could be made for less than half the price. But thanks
    >>for the link. I like it.

    >Oops, that's 200 Euros, which is like $300. That really puts it
    >beyond the realm of possibilities.

    Yeah, I know. I can't justify that expense either. For a pro
    that's doing lots of travel it's probably a no brainer, but
    not really for the hobbyist.

    I do think it's a perfect application for Bluetooth though!

    Malcolm Hoar, Feb 17, 2008
  12. Patrick

    Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:53:48 GMT, in rec.photo.digital SeaDragon
    <> wrote:

    >Patrick <> wrote in
    >
    >I never had any sucess getting the Garmin 76C to work with the D200/MC-
    >35. I ended up buying a GlobalSat Waterproof Serial GPS Receiver BR-355
    >and wireing it to a DB-9 connector so it would plug into the MC-35. I
    >also modified the MC-35 so the the GPS is powered by the camera when the
    >camera is on. I integrated the GlobalSat BR-355 into my neck strap using
    >some tubular-elastic bandaging material. The BR-355 has a high
    >sensitivity reciever, is fast and I have been very pleased with the
    >result.
    >
    >About the etrex...I tried a borrowed Garmin Etrex Legend® with the
    >D200/MC-35 and it worked for me.
    >
    >> On 2006-11-25 18:32:29 +0000, SeaDragon <> said:
    >>
    >>> I'm having trouble getting my Garmin 76C and Nikon D200 to work
    >>> together.
    >>>
    >>> I have the Nikon MC-35 adapter cable which I have connected to a
    >>> Garmin power/data combo cable but the GPS is not recognized by the
    >>> camera.
    >>>
    >>> What I know:
    >>>
    >>> The camera recognizes a Megellan SporTrak and records the position in
    >>> the photo fine.
    >>>
    >>> The Garmin cable works in a serial connection to a PC using GPS
    >>> Utility software.
    >>>
    >>> Firmware D200 2.00 both A and B
    >>> 76C 4.10
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone been able to get these two to work together?

    >> I jut found this thread via google groups, did you ever get your
    >> Garmin to work with the D200? I have been having the same problem but
    >> with a Garmin eTrex. The MC35 has been tested by Nikon, I have tried
    >> two other D200s and a D2x which also don't work. This leads me to the
    >> conclusion that there is something about the eTrex that is not quite
    >> right.

    Using a Garmin GPSmap-76csx with a D200 connected via a PC Mobile
    GRGND2 kit (GND2 + GRDC) http://www.pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm
    Make sure you go into the Setup => Interface menu and set Serial Data
    Format to NMEA In/NMEA out. 4800 baud works for me.

    FWIW, the GRGND2 kit (GND2 + GRDC) is considerably cheaper the MC-35,
    showed up in a week and provides also for an inexpensive remote
    shutter release (PTT1) as well if needed.

    , Feb 20, 2008
  13. Patrick

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:06:38 -0500, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:53:48 GMT, in rec.photo.digital SeaDragon
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Patrick <> wrote in
    >>
    >>I never had any sucess getting the Garmin 76C to work with the D200/MC-
    >>35. I ended up buying a GlobalSat Waterproof Serial GPS Receiver BR-355
    >>and wireing it to a DB-9 connector so it would plug into the MC-35. I
    >>also modified the MC-35 so the the GPS is powered by the camera when the
    >>camera is on. I integrated the GlobalSat BR-355 into my neck strap using
    >>some tubular-elastic bandaging material. The BR-355 has a high
    >>sensitivity reciever, is fast and I have been very pleased with the
    >>result.

    >Using a Garmin GPSmap-76csx with a D200 connected via a PC Mobile
    >GRGND2 kit (GND2 + GRDC) http://www.pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm
    >Make sure you go into the Setup => Interface menu and set Serial Data
    >Format to NMEA In/NMEA out. 4800 baud works for me.
    >
    >FWIW, the GRGND2 kit (GND2 + GRDC) is considerably cheaper the MC-35,
    >showed up in a week and provides also for an inexpensive remote
    >shutter release (PTT1) as well if needed.

    FWIW, works find with an old Garmin GPSIII as well.

    , Feb 21, 2008
  14. John Q. Public, Feb 27, 2008
  15. Patrick

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 27 Feb 2008 13:21:02 GMT, "John Q. Public" <> wrote:

    >Here's the one I use:
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=xxxxxx

    You mean the one you are selling, and spamming to the newsgroups. (The
    location of the seller and the location of your IP number match.)

    The rec.photo.digital charter clearly prohibits posting ads, and directs
    them to rec.photo.marketplace.

    Don Wiss, Feb 27, 2008
  16. In message news:, Don Wiss is
    alleged to have said:

    > On 27 Feb 2008 13:21:02 GMT, "John Q. Public" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Here's the one I use:
    >>
    >>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=xxxxxx

    > You mean the one you are selling, and spamming to the newsgroups. (The
    > location of the seller and the location of your IP number match.)

    Whose life is so empty that they can only get it up from checking shit like
    this?

    If you know where I am, come by my house and get your ass-kicking,
    motherfucker.

    John Q. Public, Feb 27, 2008
  17. Patrick

    Guest

    On Feb 17, 8:19 pm, Steve <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:29:58 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
    > wrote:
    > >http://www.foolography.com/unleashedxmas.php

    > Wow, that looks perfect. I wish it wasn't $200 though. I was looking
    > for something I could DIY. But that might do if I can justify the
    > funds. The tiny bluetooth-USB adapters are only like $10 on ebay and
    > a USB-serial is about the same. Combine them with a non-OEM MC-35 and
    > the same thing could be made for less than half the price. But thanks
    > for the link. I like it.
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks for the compliment :)
    bluetooth and DIY is not so simple, and especially not cheap.
    your idea with the USB stuff won't work. both devices are designed to
    be used on a PC, so it's impossible to use them without one. If you're
    lucky, the actual chip inside the usb bluetooth-dongle is capable of
    more, and possibly has pins for a serial output as well. You could
    then salvage the chip from it, and design a new circuit board, write
    new firmware for that chip so that you can actually use the serial
    output, because the firmware on it won't allow that. Basically: forget
    about it.
    and by the way, those USB devices are only that cheap because they are
    produced and sold in millions, so don't compare those prices with my
    device.

    The only way you can have a DIY bluetooth module is by using an MC-35,
    modifying it to supply a voltage on pin 9, and buying a
    serial2bluetooth module. Here in Germany that costs 140 Euros
    (MC-35)+120 Euros (serial2bluetooth), which is why I initially priced
    my module at 270 Euros. The price is now only 199 Euros, which is much
    cheaper and MUCH better than the "DIY" bluetooth solution. OK, the
    prices might be a little lower in the US.
    and you'll have to consider this: with the amount of cabling and the
    size of teh MC-35 connector + the serial2bluetooth module, the
    advantages of bluetooth are mostly gone, compared to a nice, small GPS
    directly attached to the camera with a short cable (such as a few
    other DIY projects that have removed the MC-35 connector and placed it
    in a small casing together with a GPS)

    I will be adding a cheap, "entry level" GPS setup to my product lineup
    soon, and will probably remodel my whole website to give more
    Information on Geotagging generally, show some DIY setups, and things
    like that, rather than just sell my (cool) products, so you might want
    to bookmark www.foolography.com for revisiting in the near future.

    theFool

    , Mar 3, 2008
  18. Patrick

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:42:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >On Feb 17, 8:19 pm, Steve <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:29:58 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
    >> wrote:
    >> >http://www.foolography.com/unleashedxmas.php

    >> Wow, that looks perfect. I wish it wasn't $200 though. I was looking
    >> for something I could DIY. But that might do if I can justify the
    >> funds. The tiny bluetooth-USB adapters are only like $10 on ebay and
    >> a USB-serial is about the same. Combine them with a non-OEM MC-35 and
    >> the same thing could be made for less than half the price. But thanks
    >> for the link. I like it.
    >>
    >> Steve

    >Thanks for the compliment :)
    >bluetooth and DIY is not so simple, and especially not cheap.
    >your idea with the USB stuff won't work. both devices are designed to
    >be used on a PC, so it's impossible to use them without one. If you're
    >lucky, the actual chip inside the usb bluetooth-dongle is capable of
    >more, and possibly has pins for a serial output as well. You could
    >then salvage the chip from it, and design a new circuit board, write
    >new firmware for that chip so that you can actually use the serial
    >output, because the firmware on it won't allow that. Basically: forget
    >about it.
    >and by the way, those USB devices are only that cheap because they are
    >produced and sold in millions, so don't compare those prices with my
    >device.

    Yes, I see why the Bluetooth->USB->Serial won't work. But the
    bluetooth to serial directly should work. I would have to use
    something like this: http://aaxeon.com/?id=262 for a DIY project.

    Then I'd need an MC-35 to butcher. On Ebay, those go for $38+$30
    shipping from HK or $50+$17.45 shipping from China. So I'm looking at
    a total of about $125 plus a few $ for various odds and ends (like
    maybe a case) for what I'd need to make a decent bluetooth GPS
    receiver. Of course, it's nowhere near as "cool" or small as what
    you're offering.

    >The only way you can have a DIY bluetooth module is by using an MC-35,
    >modifying it to supply a voltage on pin 9, and buying a
    >serial2bluetooth module. Here in Germany that costs 140 Euros
    >(MC-35)+120 Euros (serial2bluetooth), which is why I initially priced
    >my module at 270 Euros. The price is now only 199 Euros, which is much
    >cheaper and MUCH better than the "DIY" bluetooth solution. OK, the
    >prices might be a little lower in the US.

    What's killing you, through no fault of your own, is the falling value
    of the US dollar. 200 euros is now $305. 2 years ago it was $240.
    Also, the fact that the prices for the MC-35 on ebay and
    serial2bluetooth adapters on that site above seem to be about 1/3 here
    than in Germany.

    >and you'll have to consider this: with the amount of cabling and the
    >size of teh MC-35 connector + the serial2bluetooth module, the
    >advantages of bluetooth are mostly gone, compared to a nice, small GPS
    >directly attached to the camera with a short cable (such as a few
    >other DIY projects that have removed the MC-35 connector and placed it
    >in a small casing together with a GPS)
    >I will be adding a cheap, "entry level" GPS setup to my product lineup
    >soon, and will probably remodel my whole website to give more
    >Information on Geotagging generally, show some DIY setups, and things
    >like that, rather than just sell my (cool) products, so you might want
    >to bookmark www.foolography.com for revisiting in the near future.

    I have. I like it. BTW, the Bluetooth GPS that I use is the Holux
    GPSlim 236. That thing is great.

    Steve

    Steve, Mar 4, 2008
  19. In message news:, Steve is
    alleged to have said:

    > What's killing you, through no fault of your own, is the falling value
    > of the US dollar.

    Actually it is the fault of everyone who permits the unconstitutional
    Federal Reserve to print fiat money out of thin air. What do you think it
    means when the media euphemistically says "The Fed eased credit"? It means
    they created more dollars with nothing to back them, and therefore the
    value of each dollar plummets.

    Google "Helicopter Ben" for all the gory details, then visit
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/inflation-tax/ for the solution.

    John Q. Public, Mar 4, 2008
  20. Patrick

    Steve Guest

    On 04 Mar 2008 04:23:31 GMT, "John Q. Public" <> wrote:

    >In message news:, Steve is
    >alleged to have said:
    >
    >> What's killing you, through no fault of your own, is the falling value
    >> of the US dollar.

    >Actually it is the fault of everyone who permits the unconstitutional

    Since he's German, I stand by my statement that it's through no fault
    of his own.

    Steve

    Steve, Mar 4, 2008