Re: Help needed on a bibliography of cracking

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by LaDDL, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. LaDDL

    LaDDL Guest

    Marek Luch wrote:

    > Hi,

    Hi,

    > I would like to ask for your advice on a bibliography related to means and
    > counters to computer program cracking (i.e. how to crack programs, and how
    > to secure them. This does *not* have anything to do with the other meaning
    > of the word - "black hat hacking").

    One of my favorite repeated phrases is that "learning to search is one
    of the most important skills for a reverse code engineer to learn."

    > I've been looking for such books and
    > articles for my master thesis for a long time now, but unfortunately to my
    > knowledge there is very little interest in dealing with the subject in
    > published material. I'm aware of only *two* books (one by Pavol Cerven, the
    > other by Jakub Zemanek), which deal with the technical aspects of the
    > problem.
    > Of course there is a lot of on-line material on the subject, but you can't
    > really cite only from web sources in a master thesis. Therefore I ask you
    > for any information on published articles or books you know of (maybe even
    > links to the on-line versions ;)

    You certainly do not need to "buy" a book on assembly language. But if u
    want u can buy a well written and interesting enough by a more than
    competent author :
    Hacker Disassembling Uncovered by Kris Kaspersky, Natalia Tarkova
    (Editor), Julie Laing (Editor)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-4196255-5773633?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
    About assembly language. This link will get you even more information
    and compilers, tutorials, etc on the subject:
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/1563/assembly.html
    or
    http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/index.html

    Here's a good one too, there are many good tuts there, check the ones
    made by Bengaly, very good for newbies :
    www.learn2crack.com/cracking4newbies.htm

    > thanks in advance

    U r welcome,

    Regards.

    LaDDL, Apr 26, 2004

  2. LaDDL

    Marek Luch Guest

    > One of my favorite repeated phrases is that "learning to search is one
    > of the most important skills for a reverse code engineer to learn."

    Yeah, you're right... But another one I like is "If you're running
    pointlessly in circles for ages, try asking someone for an advice" ;) That's
    what women do, anyway. Got to learn from them sometimes ;)

    > You certainly do not need to "buy" a book on assembly language. But if u

    For one, Randall Hyde's valuable book is completely free.

    > Hacker Disassembling Uncovered by Kris Kaspersky, Natalia Tarkova
    > (Editor), Julie Laing (Editor)

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931769222/qid=1072132116//ref
    =sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/002-4196255-5773633?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    Great link, thanks! I've looked thru the linked sites and found some other
    books on the subject. But I wouldn't suspect a book dealing with cracking
    had a "Hacker..." title. Guess I'll have to check all Amazon 10 000
    "hacking" books one by one ;)

    regards
    M.L.

    Marek Luch, Apr 30, 2004