Re: Help me with a snap hardware diagnosis

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WhzzKdd, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Mark Adams wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> Mark Adams wrote:
    >>> Barring a BIOS config bypassing booting from the CD, I don't think I
    >>> can get to the recovery console.
    >>>

    >> True - the default is often set to boot hard drive first. Although
    >> on my HP, there's a "boot menu" option when it is starting - I
    >> believe it's the ESC key. So you might look for that too.

    > Okay, I was wondering which of the several odd options it used for
    > BIOS access. I'll try ESC first. Hopefully that's one less thing
    > I'll have to look up.
    >

    >>> Of course that's speculative. I'll know more if/when I get my hands
    >>> on the machine.

    >> Yeah - I'd have to agree that it's easier to get into these things
    >> when they're "local". Just getting some users to understand that
    >> there IS a BIOS setup hotkey, and when to press it, can be an
    >> exercise in futility.

    > Which is why I didn't even consider pursuing it with her over the
    > phone. I was struggling with "now, keep pressing F8" trying to
    > access safe mode.
    > Casual tech support used to be fun. Now it's just tiresome.

    I hear that <g>! Getting calls all hours of the night...trying to explain
    the basics...a lot of weekends, I won't even answer the phone. That's what
    the machine is for :)
    WhzzKdd, Feb 12, 2007