Re: Help in understanding Exchange

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by MSGuru, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. MSGuru

    MSGuru Guest

    Advantage I beleive would be cost , you could save quite a bit of money
    doing it yoursel , specially if your firm has a full time IT pro.

    Another advantage could be more control on your exchange envirment , and
    your server , mailbox sizes etc.

    Performance also would be much better I beleive having a server inhouse.

    And also for you , you would learn a very important technology , which would
    be useful for you in the future rather than just talking to some tech guy at
    quickbooks.

    But ofcourse its a very missiin critical service and you should attempt it
    only if you know it well.

    -Z

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I feel stupid asking this but oh well, I need to understand it.
    >
    > I know that my outlook clients search mail.(companynamehere).com, which is

    hosted by Quickbooks and we pay a certain amount per month for it.

    > I don't know much of anything about Exchange, but the new server I got is

    a Windows 2003 Server SBS, and to my understanding I have the software to
    install Exchange as well.

    > What are the advantages of doing so, and can I, with exchange, host my own

    email instead of paying Quickbooks to do it?

    MSGuru, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Another downside--if you have to ask this question here you _are_ a spam
    relay service waiting to happen.
    My advice would be to set up a small test network and learn Exchange BEFORE
    rolling it out on your main network.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Larry Samuels, Feb 20, 2004

  3. >Another downside--if you have to ask this question here you _are_ a spam
    >relay service waiting to happen.

    Excellent point. Exchange server, as with all ms products, works
    straight out of the box, which can become a security nightmare.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 21, 2004