Re: HELP!! I screwed up bigtime!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Oct 24, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/23/2012 1:50 AM, wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:34:03 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >> Quite a while ago I went through all my stored electronics and made sure all the
    >> batteries had been removed. Today I went to get out a flash to try on my new
    >> Fujifilm camera, and found I had forgotten to take out the batteries and they're
    >> all corroded/leaking. I got the batteries out but the terminals have all that
    >> white corrosion on them. And the real bad news is that it's a Nikon Speedlight
    >> that cost me over $200 a few years back. Am I sh*t out of luck or can those
    >> terminals be cleaned up? Thanks.

    > Okay, thanks for all the great input. Can I assume that if I get all the
    > corrosion cleaned off, then try and rinse with some water, even if water gets
    > inside the flash, as long as it's not powered, and nothing can short out, it
    > should dry out and be okay?

    NO! NO!
    Do not soak in water. it will screw up the electronics inside your
    flash. Capacitors and water not not play nicely together.
    If you feel a compulsion, use 100% alcohol, or a bit of dry cleaning
    solution on a Q tip.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 24, 2012