Re: HELP!! I screwed up bigtime!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Oct 22, 2012.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/22/2012 03:34 PM, wrote:
    > Quite a while ago I went through all my stored electronics and made sure all the
    > batteries had been removed. Today I went to get out a flash to try on my new
    > Fujifilm camera, and found I had forgotten to take out the batteries and they're
    > all corroded/leaking. I got the batteries out but the terminals have all that
    > white corrosion on them. And the real bad news is that it's a Nikon Speedlight
    > that cost me over $200 a few years back. Am I sh*t out of luck or can those
    > terminals be cleaned up? Thanks.

    First get some q-tips and rubbing alcohol and remove *all* the
    corrosion. Next clean the terminals with some extremely fine sandpaper
    #400 should probably do the trick.
    Make sure there is no trace of corrosion or pitting and you should be fine.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Oct 22, 2012

  2. philo

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:51:37 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    >On 10/22/2012 03:34 PM, wrote:
    >> Quite a while ago I went through all my stored electronics and made sure all the
    >> batteries had been removed. Today I went to get out a flash to try on my new
    >> Fujifilm camera, and found I had forgotten to take out the batteries and they're
    >> all corroded/leaking. I got the batteries out but the terminals have all that
    >> white corrosion on them. And the real bad news is that it's a Nikon Speedlight
    >> that cost me over $200 a few years back. Am I sh*t out of luck or can those
    >> terminals be cleaned up? Thanks.
    >>

    >First get some q-tips and rubbing alcohol and remove *all* the
    >corrosion. Next clean the terminals with some extremely fine sandpaper
    >#400 should probably do the trick.
    >Make sure there is no trace of corrosion or pitting and you should be fine.

    I've read all of these suggestions and wonder about those who suggest
    using sandpaper or an abrasive. That might work in a compartment
    where the batteries are arranged horizontally in the device body, but
    so many devices have deep and narrow vertical battery compartments.
    I couldn't work with sandpaper in the battery compartment of my Nikon
    Speedlight.

    I guess one could superglue a circle of sandpaper on the negative end
    of an old battery and spin it around, though.

    I have used an eraser with some success, but it was one of those
    grittier erasers found on the end of an erasable pen.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 23, 2012

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/22/2012 10:29 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:51:37 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/22/2012 03:34 PM, wrote:
    >>> Quite a while ago I went through all my stored electronics and made sure all the
    >>> batteries had been removed. Today I went to get out a flash to try on my new
    >>> Fujifilm camera, and found I had forgotten to take out the batteries and they're
    >>> all corroded/leaking. I got the batteries out but the terminals have all that
    >>> white corrosion on them. And the real bad news is that it's a Nikon Speedlight
    >>> that cost me over $200 a few years back. Am I sh*t out of luck or can those
    >>> terminals be cleaned up? Thanks.
    >>>

    >> First get some q-tips and rubbing alcohol and remove *all* the
    >> corrosion. Next clean the terminals with some extremely fine sandpaper
    >> #400 should probably do the trick.
    >> Make sure there is no trace of corrosion or pitting and you should be fine.

    > I've read all of these suggestions and wonder about those who suggest
    > using sandpaper or an abrasive. That might work in a compartment
    > where the batteries are arranged horizontally in the device body, but
    > so many devices have deep and narrow vertical battery compartments.
    > I couldn't work with sandpaper in the battery compartment of my Nikon
    > Speedlight.
    >
    > I guess one could superglue a circle of sandpaper on the negative end
    > of an old battery and spin it around, though.
    >
    > I have used an eraser with some success, but it was one of those
    > grittier erasers found on the end of an erasable pen.

    An eraser such as you have described should be fine.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Oct 23, 2012
  4. philo

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/23/2012 12:37 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-22 20:29:11 -0700, tony cooper <> said:

    >>> First get some q-tips and rubbing alcohol and remove *all* the
    >>> corrosion. Next clean the terminals with some extremely fine sandpaper
    >>> #400 should probably do the trick.
    >>> Make sure there is no trace of corrosion or pitting and you should be
    >>> fine.

    >> I've read all of these suggestions and wonder about those who suggest
    >> using sandpaper or an abrasive. That might work in a compartment
    >> where the batteries are arranged horizontally in the device body, but
    >> so many devices have deep and narrow vertical battery compartments.
    >> I couldn't work with sandpaper in the battery compartment of my Nikon
    >> Speedlight.
    >>
    >> I guess one could superglue a circle of sandpaper on the negative end
    >> of an old battery and spin it around, though.
    >>
    >> I have used an eraser with some success, but it was one of those
    >> grittier erasers found on the end of an erasable pen.

    > An emery board is good for finger nails and can be trimmed to fit the
    > confined space of the speedlight battery compartment..

    True, but many contacts are coated with a conductive metal, such as
    silver. It is easy to overdo it with emery, which is why a suggested a
    pencil eraser, after a careful chipping.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 24, 2012