Re: Help! How do i connect my home PC to my home Laptop?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, both computers have Ethernet.
    >
    > We need some more information to provide the best help: Is your
    > internet connection broadband or dialup? Do you have a router?
    >
    > If you have a broadband internet connection (cable modem or DSL modem),
    > and you don't already have one, get a router. Connect the "WAN" input
    > of the router to the Ethernet jack on the modem (cable or DSL). Connect
    > both computers to the router's "LAN" ports (it will have 3 to 8 such
    > ports, each computer connects to a different one). That completes the
    > hardware connection.
    >
    > Software wise, right-click on "My Computer", then "Properties" and
    > select the "computer name" tab. Use the "change" tab to give both
    > computers the EXACT same workgroup name, and different computer names
    > (select "workgroup" instead of "domain" UNLESS this is a work computer
    > that is also connected, while you are in the office, to a large
    > corporate LAN -- if that's the case, then this whole issue becomes FAR
    > more complex).
    >
    > Open "My Computer", browse to drives/folders that you wish to share over
    > the network, right-click on them and select the sharing tab, check the
    > boxes as desired.
    >
    > You will have to restart the computers, and after a while (2-5 minutes),
    > each computer should appear on the other computer in the "My Network
    > Places" Window.
    >
    > There are some cautions here, you should only share things when
    > operating behind a router, and even then there is some risk. I wouldn't
    > leave large numbers of folders or the root directory of a drive shared
    > continuously.
    >
    > There are some other ways to do this, including doing it without a
    > router, but that's the standard quick way in a nutshell.

    Barry I have to compliment you, no sarcasam intended or anything like that.
    That is one of the best short discussions of Windows Networking that I've
    ever read. I just wish it was always that easy. :)

    Venus, the only thing that I would add is that if all you want to do is
    connect the two computers in a temporary network so that you can copy files
    from one to the other you can use a crossover cable. You can buy one or if
    you have the tools you can make one too. If you need directions just Google
    for crossover cable.

    AG

    AG, Jul 3, 2004