    Switch" wires in the wrong way round which will cause the light to come
    on when the drive is NOT in use and off when it is.

    JD

    JD, Dec 11, 2009

  2. "JD" <> wrote in message
    news:4b220f72$0$2535$...
    > Peter Jason wrote:
    >> Why?
    >>
    >> Please help, P

    > Hi there
    >
    > As Jeff and Paul say the drive may be in use if you built it yourself
    > connecting the power button to the IO panel you may have put the "PWR
    > Switch" wires in the wrong way round which will cause the light to come on
    > when the drive is NOT in use and off when it is.
    >
    > JD

    While is certainly possible that the lights are switched, if it wasw true
    that they were switched, then the Power light should be blinking to indicate
    that the HDD is being read.

    The HDD light is supposed to blink on a random schedule as data is being
    read, if the light is on continuously then something is making a call to the
    HDD causing it to read data all of the time. If the HDD lighth is on steady
    and the Power light is blinking, then my money is on the connectors being
    switched.

    If the connectors are switched and the machine is Home Built, maybe one
    should give consideration to not building any more computers.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 11, 2009

  3. JD

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter Jason wrote:
    >>> Why?
    >>>
    >>> Please help, P

    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> As Jeff and Paul say the drive may be in use if you built it yourself
    >> connecting the power button to the IO panel you may have put the "PWR
    >> Switch" wires in the wrong way round which will cause the light to come on
    >> when the drive is NOT in use and off when it is.
    >>
    >> JD

    > While is certainly possible that the lights are switched, if it wasw true
    > that they were switched, then the Power light should be blinking to indicate
    > that the HDD is being read.
    >
    > The HDD light is supposed to blink on a random schedule as data is being
    > read, if the light is on continuously then something is making a call to the
    > HDD causing it to read data all of the time. If the HDD lighth is on steady
    > and the Power light is blinking, then my money is on the connectors being
    > switched.
    >
    > If the connectors are switched and the machine is Home Built, maybe one
    > should give consideration to not building any more computers.

    There are a couple ways for the LED signal to be created. You could
    use the status signal right off the IDE ribbon cable (with appropriate
    buffering). Or, the status signal could be coming from the Southbridge
    itself, partially under software control. In the case of my LED, which
    turns on steady while my screensaver is running, I suspect the LED state is being
    affected by something the driver is doing. And I've tested it, by
    moving the mouse (to get rid of the screensaver), then double clicking a disk
    icon to get some hard drive activity. The LED actually blinks off, then
    comes back on, as if an XOR gate is present in the circuit and the
    activity state of the LED has been changed (normally ON, blink OFF).
    Roughly ten seconds after the screen saver has stopped, the LED goes out,
    and returns to blinking on in response disk activity. So my problem is
    related to something involving "driver" / "power management state" /
    "perhaps Southbridge".

    We really need a more detailed description of what the OP's LED is doing,
    to decide what it is. If the motherboard has a manual, with PANEL pinout
    and named signals, it may be possible to guess at whether you can
    arrange a LED on some set of pins, to stay on.

    For the LED to work properly, there has to be a series resistor in
    series in the circuit, to limit current flow to a safe value. I don't
    believe that resistor is on the computer case side. It is part of the
    LED driver on the motherboard. If someone connects the LED cable between
    raw +5V and GND, the LED would burn out. For the LED to remain lit
    constantly, it would preferably be on a circuit with resistor in
    series. So there are some limits as to how many pin combinations
    on the PANEL header, can provide just the right ingredients.

    +5V --- resistor ----X X---GND (Panel pins to make a steady LED)

    If you connected a LED to the RESET pin pair, that would provide a pullup
    circuit similar to the drawing. And, the LED would pull the circuit
    down to Vfb of the LED, perhaps still sufficient to not be interpreted
    as logic 0, and lighting the LED at the same time. I doubt the
    pullup resistor value on the RESET pin pair, is the right value to
    make the LED glow at normal brilliance. So there are plenty of
    nuances, that if someone describes the intensity, when the LED comes
    on or goes off, you could guess at where it is connected.

    In my case, my symptoms are bizarre enough, to need software to get
    involved. My symptoms are not consistent with a wiring error, and look
    more like the activity state of my LED gets flipped during a Power
    Management state change.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 11, 2009