Re: [HELP] Email Security on Shared Network

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by n1pop@hotmail.com, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in

    > Is this is right place to pose questions on email security on a shared
    > network? If not, would someone please direct me to the right
    > newsgroup? I'm sick of people spying on my email and there must be
    > SOME way to protect it.

    If your email is stored in a publicly accessible path in your network, you
    should speak to your network administrators about restricting access.
    Granting users assess to their own mail spool and granting access to the
    entire spool are two completely different things.

    If your email is stored on your computer, you should either store it in a
    path to which only you have access or store it on removable media.

    Or, as others have mentioned, either encrypt the mail or use a secure mail
    service.

    , Sep 2, 2003

  2. Tom Guest

    SSL My Mail?

    What is SSL? How does it work, and what software do I need? Of course I
    gather it's some form of encryption, but does encryption mean that those who
    receive mail from me will have to have the same encryption technology to
    read it?

    As for resetting my mail to a path where others have no access, I understand
    that, however my question is really directed at whether MY mail is
    accessible to (1) an ISP account holder, (2)on whose router my internet
    access is connected and (3) on which I have my separate email address. Can
    this person access my email. If so, how and what measures can I take to
    prevent this?

    Thanks.

    Tom, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Re: SSL My Mail?

    In article <ho%4b.7252$>, vze4n6n4
    @verizon.net says...
    > What is SSL? How does it work, and what software do I need? Of course I
    > gather it's some form of encryption, but does encryption mean that those who
    > receive mail from me will have to have the same encryption technology to
    > read it?
    >
    > As for resetting my mail to a path where others have no access, I understand
    > that, however my question is really directed at whether MY mail is
    > accessible to (1) an ISP account holder, (2)on whose router my internet
    > access is connected and (3) on which I have my separate email address. Can
    > this person access my email. If so, how and what measures can I take to
    > prevent this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Most all popular email clients are SSL compatible, such as Outlook,
    Outlook Express, Eudora, Mozilla Mail, etc.

    SSL email is tunnelled through a secure connection from you to the
    server, where you download your email through this tunnel through secure
    POP3s services.

    Read about it at www.cotse.net

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Tom Guest

    Re: SSL My Mail?

    Am I to understand then that the only way to get that sort of protection is
    by paying a fee to a service like the one you've listed here?

    The service is very appealing, but sort of seems a bit much. It's not like I
    an industrial spy or anything. I'm just an everyday computer user who would
    rather his kids didn't find out he's a crossdresser or that his wife finds
    out that he's messing around with the redhead at the 7/11 ... all this by
    reading his email!

    I don't mean to make light of your suggestion. In fact I appreciate it very
    much. It's just that I'm seeking a slightly lower tech solution to a rather
    common problem when people share a common computer network and is one of
    several accounts with the same ISP.

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Tom, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Re: SSL My Mail?

    In article <mPJ5b.6836$>, vze4n6n4
    @verizon.net says...
    > Am I to understand then that the only way to get that sort of protection is
    > by paying a fee to a service like the one you've listed here?

    By paying the fee or rolling your own. There's no way to do everything
    without a little work or paying someone else. Period.

    As for "...I just want to..."

    A word of advice, "...I just want to..." covers many aspects of online
    life. There's a way of life in the security community and the same
    philosophy rolls over for online privacy: Security (and in this case,
    Privacy) comes in layers. The more layers you put between yourself and
    the bad-guys, the better off you'll be.

    As for the Cotse suggestion, Cotse covers all of the basics for you,
    it's rather easy to setup and plays well with other layers. Besides all
    that, it's very affordable comparing to the hundreds of options and
    settings you receive with a meager payment of $5.95 per month.

    Nothing else comes close.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Brian Guest

    Re: SSL My Mail?

    Tom,
    There are definately some free products still available that work very well.
    For your situation (home user wanting to secure email) I would recommend
    MIT's distro of PGP (current version is 6.5.8). As long as you don't have
    any foreign nations tyring to perform cyrptanalysis on your ciphertext or
    leaving your passphrase lying around for someone to see you should be
    good-to-go.

    Here's the link: http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

    Brian, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Tom Guest

    Re: SSL My Mail?

    Many thanks Brian. What you suggest seems to me to be a very sensible
    solution. I promise to try to keep the Government of Transylvania
    entertained with my wayward sex life since their agents obviously have
    nothing better to do! But you know, if they're that interested in the
    redhead at the 7/11, all they have to do is ask! Just leave my wife out
    it!

    How's that?

    Tom, Sep 9, 2003