Re: Hello. . .

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, May 12, 2011.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    I never forgot your passion for the blurry wallpapers and your
    theories about them. I still have the stones.
    I also recall you being fan of fancy screensavers (flying toasters)
    and flashing
    motherboard bios in cases of trouble.
    For your 4250 chip I would highly recommend ATI drivers (http://
    game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx) and NEVER Microsoft (or
    Windows Update) ones.
    You may be missing lots of performance there!
    Just go and grab the Catalyst packages and update both mobo and
    graphic drivers.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 12, 2011

  2. Carlos

    Tony Guest

    On May 12, 2:07 am, Carlos <> wrote:
    > Tony,
    > I never forgot your passion for the blurry wallpapers and your
    > theories about them. I still have the stones.
    > I also recall you being fan of fancy screensavers (flying toasters)
    > and flashing
    > motherboard bios in cases of trouble.
    > For your 4250 chip I would highly recommend ATI drivers (http://
    > game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx) and NEVER Microsoft (or
    > Windows Update) ones.
    > You may be missing lots of performance there!
    > Just go and grab the Catalyst packages and update both mobo and
    > graphic drivers.
    > Carlos
    >
    > On 11 mayo, 14:29, Tony <> wrote:
    >

    > > On May 11, 6:25 pm, Carlos <> wrote:

    > > > Tony,
    > > > My laptop has a 4250 onboard video and quite complaint about it.
    > > > I am not a gamer but it has enough muscle to play 1280x720 videos
    > > > without a hitch.
    > > > What part of the performance are you unhappy with?
    > > > Carlos

    > > > On May 11, 12:48 pm, Tony <> wrote:

    > > Ah, it's more or less everything that would benefit from acceleration.
    > > You may not know it, but there is something called
    > > ReallySlickScreensavers that are OpenGL and they do run. . .well, lets
    > > just say O.K. but it seems there is not a drop of performance left in
    > > the display system.

    > > As I said, I am not experienced with the ATI's but for the longest of
    > > time I was looking for the button that would enable acceleration.
    > > Everything that moves seems to be dragging it's feet.

    > > Tony. . .

    > > P.S. - I even re-installed from scratch once to make sure I didn't
    > > forget anything at first. Something quite different. The fuzzy pebbles
    > > wallpaper, does that still exist?

    Alright, you mentioning resolution made me think and promptly
    instigate re-installing (because I hadn't been able to activate the
    copy earlier) You don't remember but I have the 30" screen
    (thankfully) and it has a native resolution to 2560x1600 which is
    twice that what you talked about.

    I installed and activated, updated the originals from within Catalyst
    and it went to the default res. without any problem. It is certainly
    not perfect but clearly better than before, so now I need a couple
    days until some basic stuff has trickled down and I can go hunting,
    but seriously, there shouldn't be much to expect except 'polish',
    perhaps. I will try and reset the res. down to 1920x1200 which will
    make everything a bit larger and loose me some screen real-estate, but
    perhaps also give the chip a little room to breath.

    Glad about the pebbles - you see, I was fiddling with the camera one
    day and one menu item says 'format'. Of course, I thought of 'image
    formats' and expected a subfunction - you can see this coming because
    of course it was the concept of 'disk format' and then I had zapped
    everything. That is where the concept of 'friends' finds a fitting
    place in our lives. Good, Carlos.

    I have a meeting, so I'll be closing down for the most part of the
    day, let's say some 6 hours.

    Tony. . .
    Tony, May 12, 2011

  3. Carlos

    Tony Guest

    On May 12, 8:48 am, Tony <> wrote:
    > On May 12, 2:07 am, Carlos <> wrote:
    >

    > > Tony,
    > > I never forgot your passion for the blurry wallpapers and your
    > > theories about them. I still have the stones.
    > > I also recall you being fan of fancy screensavers (flying toasters)
    > > and flashing
    > > motherboard bios in cases of trouble.
    > > For your 4250 chip I would highly recommend ATI drivers (http://
    > > game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx) and NEVER Microsoft (or
    > > Windows Update) ones.
    > > You may be missing lots of performance there!
    > > Just go and grab the Catalyst packages and update both mobo and
    > > graphic drivers.
    > > Carlos

    > > > Ah, it's more or less everything that would benefit from acceleration..
    > > > You may not know it, but there is something called
    > > > ReallySlickScreensavers that are OpenGL and they do run. . .well, lets
    > > > just say O.K. but it seems there is not a drop of performance left in
    > > > the display system.

    > > > As I said, I am not experienced with the ATI's but for the longest of
    > > > time I was looking for the button that would enable acceleration.
    > > > Everything that moves seems to be dragging it's feet.

    > > > Tony. . .

    > > > P.S. - I even re-installed from scratch once to make sure I didn't
    > > > forget anything at first. Something quite different. The fuzzy pebbles
    > > > wallpaper, does that still exist?

    > Alright, you mentioning resolution made me think and promptly
    > instigate re-installing (because I hadn't been able to activate the
    > copy earlier) You don't remember but I have the 30" screen
    > (thankfully) and it has a native resolution to 2560x1600 which is
    > twice that what you talked about.
    >
    > I installed and activated, updated the originals from within Catalyst
    > and it went to the default res. without any problem. It is certainly
    > not perfect but clearly better than before, so now I need a couple
    > days until some basic stuff has trickled down and I can go hunting,
    > but seriously, there shouldn't be much to expect except 'polish',
    > perhaps. I will try and reset the res. down to 1920x1200 which will
    > make everything a bit larger and loose me some screen real-estate, but
    > perhaps also give the chip a little room to breath.
    >
    > Glad about the pebbles - you see, I was fiddling with the camera one
    > day and one menu item says 'format'. Of course, I thought of 'image
    > formats' and expected a subfunction - you can see this coming because
    > of course it was the concept of 'disk format' and then I had zapped
    > everything. That is where the concept of 'friends' finds a fitting
    > place in our lives. Good, Carlos.
    >
    > I have a meeting, so I'll be closing down for the most part of the
    > day, let's say some 6 hours.
    >
    > Tony. . .

    It's really, really nice to have XP x64 back up and running again. It
    runs well and behaves to it's owner's pride.

    Anybody know if Win8 is on the doorstep? Around summertime would seem
    timely for keeping up with Microsoft's release frequency?

    Tony. . .
    Tony, May 12, 2011
  4. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Guys,

    Windows 8 is still in M3 stage, not even beta.
    Current "leaked" version on the Internet is 7955.
    Beta releases are expected to start with #8000.
    It still looks very similar to Win 7 though there are interesting
    pieces of software ("blue pill", "unlocker", etc.) that unlock future
    features of Windows 8.
    If I were using XP x64 like Tony I would jump, no doubt, to Windows 7
    x64.

    Speaking of languages, "Iceland" (The Land Of Ice) is called in
    Spanish "Islandia" (something like the "Land Of The Island") which
    really fails to translate the real meaning. Surely some old, already
    dead, spaniard is to blame for the mistranslation.

    Carlos

    Carlos, May 12, 2011