Re: HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug McDonald, Oct 26, 2012.

  1. On 10/25/2012 3:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:> On 2012-10-25 11:41:05 -0700,
    Alfred Molon <> said:

    >> Just curious - who is using HDR, for instance when a scene has too much
    >> dynamic range?

    > Too much DR?
    >
    > I guess that would depend on the effect you are seeking for your final
    > product. What did you have in mind?

    I have used it.

    The main use has been scenes with both sunlit clouds in the sky
    and dark shady areas in the foreground. In some cases it has
    been used for panoramas, with only the light/dark overlap
    panels shot at two exposures.

    The usual contrast reduction techniques
    (in Photoshop) are highlight/shadow (with radius large, like 300),
    gradient masks, and sometimes unsharp mask (also large radius).

    And as I like to point out, the amount of range reduction needed depends
    on the lighting intended for the print. A good photo chemical print from
    a good printer designed for use in direct sunlight needs only a little
    contrast reduction.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Oct 26, 2012