Re: HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wally, Oct 25, 2012.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:41:05 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >Just curious - who is using HDR, for instance when a scene has too much
    >dynamic range?

    Me.
    Wally, Oct 25, 2012

  2. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:43:16 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Wally says...
    >
    >> Me.

    >How often?

    Oh, a few times... haven't kept count... I recently bought the Sony
    RX100, and it does HDR automatically in-camera. No tripod necessary;
    it will register the images for you. So, very convenient, and fun.

    Before I had the RX100, I occasionally did HDR with the Canon DSLR,
    hand-held, post-processing in PSP. Worked pretty good, and the results
    never looked phoney or contrived to me.

    These HDRed pics from the Sony or Canon often look a bit low-contrast,
    though, and can benefit from a little contrast boost.

    While digital photography is fantastic compared to film photography,
    one drawback has been blown highlights -- because of the linear
    behavior compared to film, which rolls off gently at the shoulder of
    the curve. HDR nicely solves this problem for situations where it can
    be applied (no subject motion).

    I don't have a public place where I post pics, so it is not easy to
    let you see my examples. But of course there are lots of examples out
    there done by others.

    Wally
    Wally, Oct 26, 2012

  3. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:57:43 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-10-25 20:44:56 -0700, Wally <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:43:16 +0200, Alfred Molon
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, Wally says...

    >>> How often?

    >> Oh, a few times... haven't kept count... I recently bought the Sony
    >> RX100, and it does HDR automatically in-camera. No tripod necessary;
    >> it will register the images for you. So, very convenient, and fun.
    >>
    >> Before I had the RX100, I occasionally did HDR with the Canon DSLR,
    >> hand-held, post-processing in PSP. Worked pretty good, and the results
    >> never looked phoney or contrived to me.
    >>
    >> These HDRed pics from the Sony or Canon often look a bit low-contrast,
    >> though, and can benefit from a little contrast boost.

    >Which HDRed pics from the Sony or Canon?
    >

    >> While digital photography is fantastic compared to film photography,
    >> one drawback has been blown highlights -- because of the linear
    >> behavior compared to film, which rolls off gently at the shoulder of
    >> the curve. HDR nicely solves this problem for situations where it can
    >> be applied (no subject motion).
    >>
    >> I don't have a public place where I post pics, so it is not easy to
    >> let you see my examples. But of course there are lots of examples out
    >> there done by others.

    >Dropbox, GDrive, and PogoPlug all offer 2-5 GB of free space. Dropbox
    >is the easiest to deal with and G-Drive integrates nicely with all that
    >Google has to offer.
    >Pick one or more of those and you will be able to share with the World,
    >just like this;
    >< http://db.tt/6SuM0WTp >
    >
    >So I would start with < https://www.dropbox.com >

    OK, testing this out...
    The link is
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xgw7iuawiiqa6p8/gTXmS3P5q3

    First shot is without HDR, the second is with. Shot hand-held with the
    Sony RX100.

    Wally
    Wally, Oct 27, 2012