Re: Having trouble with indoor light

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gene Palmiter, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. I am wondering why he is not using the flash. It might be awful...but it
    might be great....I have had digitals that knew what to do and one that did
    not. You either need more light (use a flash) or a tripod and a subject that
    doesn't move (the first you can manage but the second...not at a karate
    match!). Program mode might help...but not enough.

    Everyone has been nice about it since you are really here seeking
    advise....but please don't post images here. It can easily get out of hand
    and its against our rules. Generally we put the images on a website (there
    are free ones) or in an on-line album and direct us to it with a link.

    "Danno" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P10 (5.0 mega pixels)
    >
    > On the camera I have a 'Mode Dial' that allows me to choose between 'Auto
    > Adjustment Mode' - Which has things like focus, exposure, etc, already
    > automatically adjusted for me for easy shooting. THIS is the mode I use to
    > take my photos.
    >
    > The other mode is 'Programmed Mode' which allows you to tinker with all

    the
    > settings, but I haven't graduated to this yet.
    >

    > So, I'm shooting in the 'Auto' mode and I'm having some real problems.
    >
    > It seems whenever I am taking photos INDOORS, the photos come out blurry

    and
    > distorted. I'm not using a flash.
    >

    > To see what I'm talking about, take a look at the photos I've attached.
    >
    > The first 2 were taken at my son's Karate exhibition. (indoors)
    >

    > The second two were taken the very next day. SAME camera, SAME settings.
    > Nothing has been changed on the camera. (outdoors)
    >

    > The indoor photos, like all of the photos I take indoors, are blurry.
    >

    > Now, if I take a photo indoors using a flash, the photos rarely come out
    > blurry.
    >
    > Does this mean it's a lighting issue?
    >

    > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how I can fix this problem?
    >

    > Thanks in advance for your help. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks

    and

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Gene Palmiter

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Having trouble with indoor light
    >From: "Gene Palmiter"
    >Date: 8/21/2004 5:09 PM Pacific Standard Time

    >.but please don't post images here. It can easily get out of hand
    >and its against our rules. Generally we put the images on a website (there
    >are free ones) or in a

    Really? Can you direct me
    to some?

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Gene Palmiter

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > I am wondering why he is not using the flash. It might be awful...but it
    > might be great....I have had digitals that knew what to do and one that did
    > not. You either need more light (use a flash) or a tripod and a subject that
    > doesn't move (the first you can manage but the second...not at a karate
    > match!). Program mode might help...but not enough.
    >
    > Everyone has been nice about it since you are really here seeking
    > advise....but please don't post images here. It can easily get out of hand
    > and its against our rules. Generally we put the images on a website (there
    > are free ones) or in an on-line album and direct us to it with a link.

    I wondered about posting photos. Some NG's will simply drop any
    binary attachements, or postings containing them. There are some
    'binary' news groups that accept large attachements (photos, programs
    etc) but postings have a very short life cycle on these NG's.
    Maybe there is a binary NG for posting digital photos that we
    can re-direct to from this one. (BTW I hear that some of the binary
    ng's can get a little 'raunchy' in their postings so be warned!)
    Ken Scharf, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Gene Palmiter

    Frank ess Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:
    >> Subject: Re: Having trouble with indoor light
    >> From: "Gene Palmiter"
    >> Date: 8/21/2004 5:09 PM Pacific Standard Time

    >> .but please don't post images here. It can easily get out of hand
    >> and its against our rules. Generally we put the images on a website
    >> (there are free ones) or in a

    > Really? Can you direct me
    > to some?

    There are quite a few that begin "alt.binaries.pictures..." with your
    choice of subjects.

    As for lower light no flash action photography, see if Larry Bolch
    offers any help: scroll down to the Vollyball" shot on this page:
    http://www.larry-bolch.com/ephemeral/

    --
    Frank ess

    The fact that one fervently
    believes that his is the only
    correct definition does not make it so.
    —N
    Frank ess, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Gene Palmiter

    Malcolm Guest

    "Ken Scharf" <> wrote in message

    > Maybe there is a binary NG for posting digital photos that we
    > can re-direct to from this one.

    alt.binaries.photos.original

    Lot's of helpful folks there, as well.

    --